• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Breads Class on eGCI

Monica Bhide

Update

We will be doing three classes. They will focus on techiques more than on the history of the breads. Someday i will do a history article for sure!!!

here we go:

1. A sampling of North Indian Breads -- Techniques

2. A sampling of South INdian Breads -- Techniques

3. Parathas -- Stuffed North Indian breads

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thanks for idlis and dosas, my favorites.

This series looked so authentic, I almost expected her to use a dosa stone.

That grater looks dangerous. I leave the grating to the experts.

Thanks again!

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Wow Monica, amazing work, Kudos to Chef Vinod and his mother too. All I can say is that this is the most well executed and informative class. I am sure this will help many of us to demistify the Dakshini Breads, I can hardly wait for the Northern Breads Class now, teaming up with Mr. Bhasin can only lead to another super hit. What can I say, your hard work and serious efforts do show up. Keep up the good work. So what next after the Breads Monica......... how about some homemade pickles.

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

This site should have this warning attached: eGullet may be harmful to your waistline! :hmmm:

Last night I was exhausted, so after the children were asleep I decided to go straight to bed myself. However I thought of just checking my mail before I called it a day. One thing led to another and I found myself browsing eGullet. The eGCI class on South Indian breads was so inspiring that I ended up having an early breakfast (Thank God for the batter that was sitting in the fridge) - early by about eight hours! Finally when I got to bed it was several hours and dosas later :wub:

Suman

P.S. Ever tried dosas with pulikaichal (sp?)? MMmmmmm.....