• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: herbacidal - pushed grudgingly into service

herbacidal

Is the "fur" on your bun the shredded dried pork? I love that stuff on congee and on buns.

yea, that's about right. never seen it anywhere else, including on congee, so you're one up on me there.

I like pork fluff best just scooped out of the big plastic container with a spoon. :biggrin:

supposedly we have a jar of it around the house somewhere.

as far as chinese buns, just about every morning, my dad goes to the bakery and gets some coffee. usually, he'll get some kinda bun or whatever else they have around and bring it back when he knows i'm home.

aside: chinese bakeries in chinatown are sorta like barbershops in black communities, ie social centers of the neighborhood.

don't really have a favorite bao.

ham sui gauk and jeen dui (glutinous rice paste as an outer shell, both fried, the former with pork bits on the inside, the latter with sweet red bean paste in the middle) would probably be among my favorites, as far as bakery items though.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

SlKinsey,

Thanks for your reasonable post. You are right, there is no evidence that hormone levels in milk causes early menstruation. The fact is that we just don't know. One of the things that critics of rBGh gloss over is that hormones are naturally occuring in milking anyway. However, we don't know what the long-term effects will be from synthetic hormones. So, I don't want to take any chances. I'm not a zealot and I've eaten lots of things that aren't good for me in my life. But I figure if I have an option, no use taking a chance.

Jay

You seem to be eating a lot more! :biggrin:

That pineapple bun sounds great, I have to look for one of those!

i just eat more when i'm out and about, less when i'm home all day.

i expend more energy in the former, less in the latter.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Alright, Ninotchka.

i take it you're responding to my response to torakris.

but what the hell is ninotchka?

i'm guessing it's some sort of russian word, but otherwise, i don't know the reference.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Ninotchka is a movie with Greta Garbo (who plays Ninotchka), where at one point, she explains how she eats only what her body requires. It's also the movie whence Silk Stockings came, with Cyd Charisse.

dinner tonight:

leftovers:

roast duck

steamed ground beef

new:

some kinda chinese vegetable (yea choi), think chinese broccoli, but longer

tilipia, pan fried with oil and soy sauce

stir fried eggs, pork, scallions, and onions

eggplant stir fried with shrimp sauce (this sauce they'll usually give you in Cantonse restaurants with seafood birds nest and other seafood dishes w/o distinctive sauces)

rice of course (whenever i have these Chinese dishes listed it should be a given as part of dinner, including the previous 2 times in this blog)

then i had a "Gala Primavera" apple and another prune plum

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

see how boring i am? no one since last night.

10:30 this morning, had a banana and a tunafish sandwich.

actually, more like 2 open faced tuna faced sandwiches, each on half a cacia's kaiser roll.

at about 1PM, i had a krispy kreme donut and about 3 little pretzels (not the Philly soft pretzels)

at about 4PM, i had a vietnamese chicken hoagie (banh mi ga).

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Everyone was at Burger Club. :wub:

We're just shy around you, cutie pie.

elyse, i should have non-new yorkers reading this, right?

i think cutie pie is too much. cutie is just fine. :biggrin:

okay, just finished dinner.

rice noodles with beef innards and chinese vegetable (yeou choi) in soup

there was also some leftover roast duck and beef and western broccoli on the table.

i finished with an orange and an apple.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

flatlander reading/posting here...wasn't on the computer too much today because I was actually in the kitchen cooking but I'm keeping up though.

Any big food plans for Sunday?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

at about 1PM, i had a krispy kreme donut...

Oooh, Krispy Kreme! Did you heat it up first? They taste so much better when they're hot.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You can have anyone you want reading this.

wow. you can read that in so many different ways.

i didn't heat the donut up first, the option really wasn't available to me.

no major food plans for sunday, other than passing this foodblog off.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Mmm...Krispy Kreme. I think Vancouver's finally getting one in mid-2004. Don't have to go on 2 hour (one-way) KK runs (to Issaquah) anymore.

Was it a plain glazed? My favorites are the plain ones and the cream-filled ones. I can eat 4 or 5 of those after a Fatburger meal (conveniently located next to the Issaquah KK).

I just made my first ever apple pie. :cool:

Oooh, Krispy Kreme! Did you heat it up first? They taste so much better when they're hot.

Has anyone besides me notice the magnetic properties of the HOT NOW sign that seems to draw people in to KK. It's like getting trapped in a force field - resistance is futile and calories be damned when it's lit. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Has anyone besides me notice the magnetic properties of the HOT NOW sign that seems to draw people in to KK. It's like getting trapped in a force field - resistance is futile and calories be damned when it's lit. :laugh:

Last time i went to KK, they gave a free hot glazed donut to each person waiting in line. This confection completely satisfied my craving, and then i was left standing in line wondering how to exit gracefully. I ended up buying two donuts and took them to someone else.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Hey, when you come to the city next, want to go to DiFara's?

hmm, difara's. not a bad idea.

lemme check how that'll fit into everything.

are there others that wanna go?

how's parking there, in case i drive up?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

okay, food for today.

at about 11:30 or 12, i had eight fried dumplings and a fried glutinous rice paste bun filled with pork bits (ham sui gauk).

at about 3:30, I had a wing, drumstick, and thigh from popeye's.

also some of their fries with ketchup.

at about 8 or so, I had dinner, white rice with:

stir fried pork belly with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sugar

stir fried cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and beef

roast duck warmed

then an apple and a banana.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.