• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: herbacidal - pushed grudgingly into service

herbacidal

correction:

that plum shaped thing (which might just be a type of plum i don't know about) is more of a slightly elongated sphere. and it is more purplish than i thought, but not the deep purple i think of when i see grapes.

just had one now.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

8:30AM, furry pork bun (yook soong bao): shredded pork, very furry, on the top of a chinese baked bun

Be careful eating furry meat.

the fur's the best part.

and if you know of anyone i left out, throw it in.

i dare you, schneer. :biggrin:

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

correction:

that plum shaped thing (which might just be a type of plum i don't know about) is more of a slightly elongated sphere.  and it is more purplish than i thought, but not the deep purple i think of when i see grapes.

just had one now.

Ooooh! I think I've got it! I think that "plum-shaped thing" you've been enjoying is a prune plum, also known as a French prune plum, an Italian prune plum, a sugar plum, or a quetsche (this last if you're in France). Does anyone concur? Do I win a prize?

She blogs: Orangette

8:30AM, furry pork bun (yook soong bao): shredded pork, very furry, on the top of a chinese baked bun

the fur's the best part.

Is furry pork (yook soong) th same as "jue yook si" (pork floss)?

Pork floss buns (a slightly sweetish baked bun topped with a mayo cream mixture and pork floss) have been the rage in Singapore and KL (chicken floss here though as using pork floss would automatically omit half the population) for the past couple of years or so.

i think the only egulleteers related to each other by blood are NeroW and fritz brenner.

batgrrl and col klink are married.  Fat Guy and Ellen Shapiro also.  the Perlows as well.  chefette and Steve Klc. 

anyone i'm leaving out?

Mamster and Hey Jude are related by blood -- I don't think that's a secret.

come on don't tell me no one else was even slightly grossed out by the though of beef brisket on cinnamon bread. :blink:  :smile:

Less the cinnamon than the raisins... raisin + brisket = ewwww... I have my own cinnamon issues that have nothing to do with its flavor that would keep me away from Herb's sandwich even w/o the raisins.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

raisin + brisket = ewwww...

Actually it's pretty good. I sometimes make a sweet and sour brisket with dried fruit, one of which is raisins and diced root vegetables.

It's all in the preparation.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

come on don't tell me no one else was even slightly grossed out by the though of beef brisket on cinnamon bread. :blink:  :smile:

Not exactly my cup of tea, but I don't like cranberries anywhere near my turkey either... :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Can I call her kitty kat kutie kate?

No. You can call me Goddess, though. Her royal Highness...Princess...She who must be obeyed...any of those will work.

:biggrin:

K

the rest of you can do that.

i'll figure something else out.

it may even be complimentary. snicker, snicker. :rolleyes:

YOU may call me just about anything you like (I might draw the line at "bitch," but then again, I might not) as long as you bring the vodka.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

You're just eating the wrong apples...

I have access to excellent apples and have tried every variety at the farmer's market, but I'm just not into crunchy fruit right now. They hurt my teeth; I probably need a visit to the dentist :sad:

Can I call her kitty kat kutie kate?

No. You can call me Goddess, though. Her royal Highness...Princess...She who must be obeyed...any of those will work.

:biggrin:

K

the rest of you can do that.

i'll figure something else out.

it may even be complimentary. snicker, snicker. :rolleyes:

YOU may call me just about anything you like (I might draw the line at "bitch," but then again, I might not) as long as you bring the vodka.

K

i wouldn't call you bitch. too easy. not creative enough.

i actually like bitches. got more bite to them.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

at 11:30AM, I had a Chinese pork pie and a garlic bagel with butter (Dunkin' Donuts, not the best, but acceptable)

at 12:30PM, I had one of those french plums, which i'm accepting it as, without further research until later.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

the fur's the best part.

Is furry pork (yook soong) th same as "jue yook si" (pork floss)?

Pork floss buns (a slightly sweetish baked bun topped with a mayo cream mixture and pork floss) have been the rage in Singapore and KL (chicken floss here though as using pork floss would automatically omit half the population) for the past couple of years or so.

i think i know what chinese bun you're talking about, and that's not the same one.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Is the "fur" on your bun the shredded dried pork? I love that stuff on congee and on buns.

yea, that's about right. never seen it anywhere else, including on congee, so you're one up on me there.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

okay, the rest of my eats for today:

3PM, cup of La Colombe coffee. I had some ground at the bottom, which I didn't like, but I saw when she was pouring it was the bottom of the pot, so it didn't suprise me.

8PM, (12oz??) bottle of smoothie juice thing. Can't remember the brand, but refer to odwalla and fresh samantha. it was a strawberry banana.

11:30PM, some broccoli, finished the rest of that Jewish brisket on a roll (Maier's roll, wasn't soft enough for my tastes). also had 7 wings, not the complete wings, just the sections, just like most places have their buffalo wings. And a bottle of Sam Adams.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

i think the only egulleteers related to each other by blood are NeroW and fritz brenner.

batgrrl and col klink are married.  Fat Guy and Ellen Shapiro also.  the Perlows as well.  chefette and Steve Klc. 

anyone i'm leaving out?

Mamster and Hey Jude are related by blood -- I don't think that's a secret.

this is a fun game. it almost merits its own thread.

We've got a new organic dairy in our area. Their milk is free of synthetic hormones (which, among other things, are thought to be the cause of the earlier menstruating among young girls). The milk also isn't homogonized and so the cream and milk are separate. This is especially apparent with the whole milk. When I forget to shake it up before serving, my little girl (4) always pushes it away because she says it's too sweet and "farmy" tasting.

today i've had:

11:00AM  20oz coffee, steamed beef bun, pineapple bun

You eat a lot of Chinese buns. Which one is your favorite? :)

Mine is gai may bao. :biggrin: And the pineapple one with custard inside.

Oh, actually my all-time favorite (but I rarely get it, since I've only seen it at one bakery in Chinatown) is the deep-fried one with red bean paste inside, and the whole fried bun is dredged in sugar. Sooooooooo good! (dao sa yong)

Edited by Ling (log)

Is the "fur" on your bun the shredded dried pork? I love that stuff on congee and on buns.

yea, that's about right. never seen it anywhere else, including on congee, so you're one up on me there.

I like pork fluff best just scooped out of the big plastic container with a spoon. :biggrin:

We've got a new organic dairy in our area. Their milk is free of synthetic hormones (which, among other things, are thought to be the cause of the earlier menstruating among young girls).

I am all about organic and near-organic dairy... however, there is no real evidence whatsoever that the milk from cows treated with rBGH causes young girls to start menstruating earlier. Indeed, there is some controversy over whether or not girls are, as a group, beginning to menstruate earlier in life and, if so, whether or not this isn't simply due to better nutrition (i.e., less malnutrition) compared to earlier generations -- or perhaps this only appears to be the case because have more awareness now due to greater openness about such things.

There is some evidence that elevated levels of the hormones related to or influenced by rBGH may be found in the milk of cows who are treated with rBGH. There is a great deal of disagreement, however, as to whether these are significant levels or significant hormones where humans are concerned and at typical levels of human consumption. Of far greater concern all around is the fact that the antibiotics that are typically deployed -- and which are typically deployed in higher levels where growth hormones are used -- promote the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

I'm not "accusing" you of willfully spreading misinformation or anything like that. One hears things like this frequently and it sounds reasonable until it is looked into a little more closely.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread... :biggrin:

--

just had:

sandwich on a Cacia's (South Philly bakery) roll. the last sandwich i had was also a Cacia's roll, not Maier's.

I toasted the bread instead of putting it in the oven, and it was better, but still not my preference. I prefer the taste and texture of Sarcone's (also South Philly bakery).

Unfortunately, we have tons of Cacia's rolls in the freezer left over from something.

the sandwich had:

mendocino mustard, ham and provolone from Wawa, lettuce and tomato.

also had a small duck leg (the kind you can buy in Chinatown as part of half a duck or a whole duck) and an orange

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.