• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: herbacidal - pushed grudgingly into service

herbacidal

your typical Chinese family meal sounds very similar to a typical Japanese family meal! :biggrin:

more leftovers then "new" food and sometimes the leftovers here get pulled out for days on end, if I am lucky my MIL will actually refrigerate them between meals. :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

beef tendon + pig intestines, served cold

I want to have dinner at your house.

tell ya what, sam.

next time i'm in new york (actually, planning to see a friend november 1),

you and kathleen/kathy/katherine/variant thereof can take me to chinatown and we can have all the intestines, tendons, etc. you want.

i'll even sit there as you two blast throaty operatic scores at me.

of course, i'll counter with bad canto-pop.

and i'll have the backing of the restaurant's sound system.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I knew you were going to say 1%.  herb, you don't eat enough.

howja know i wasn't gonna say skim?

on a normal basis, i don't really eat a lot.

even at bobolink, i really didn't eat that much. i ate a respectable amount.

but when i let go, i can really shove it in. katie has seen me do that at a few of the DDC dinners.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Don't listen to 'em, Herb. As my mother-in-law used to say to my wife (say this in a screeching southeast Texas accent): "It doesn't help the starving children in China if you get fat!"

(Of course, this was the 80s, and we'd shifted our focus from the starving children in China to the starving children in Ethiopia, but the m-i-l isn't one to accept change very readily)

beef tendon + pig intestines, served cold

I want to have dinner at your house.

tell ya what, sam.

next time i'm in new york (actually, planning to see a friend november 1), you and kathleen/kathy/katherine/variant thereof can take me to chinatown and we can have all the intestines, tendons, etc. you want.

Sounds like a plan. Have you been to Grand Sichuan? They have awesome spicy beef tendon, and I bet they have an intestine or two on the menu. Wherever it is, we'll have to sneak in a few bottles of our latest infused vodkas, of course.

Oh... and you got it right the first time: Kathleen.

--

No, I just thought a big strapping guy like herb would eat much more.  I mean, NeroW, for Chrissake!

herb, I'm psychic.

i balance myself out. like i said, you should see what i eat when i go out.

but today and yesterday, i'm just at home. when i'm out and about, i exert more energy, need more fuel.

sam,

been to the GSI at 48-50 and 6-8th ave. that was good. had forgotten what spicy food can taste like.

few bottles of vodka? whaddya trying to do, recreate sammy's roumanian?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

but when i let go, i can really shove it in.  katie has seen me do that at a few of the DDC dinners.

This would be a true statement. There've been a few times when I thought Herb had hollow legs... :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

okay, dinner.

wonton noodle soup with zucchini, beef brisket and tendon.

some more roast pork.

corn on the cob.

part of an orange, and 2 of a fruit i don't know (shape, color and size of plum, seed inside is shape of football).

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.