• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
herbacidal

eG Foodblog: herbacidal - pushed grudgingly into service

Okay, it starts with a 9AM coffee from WaWa and a 10AM medium sized muffin me papa bought that was lying around the house.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

methinks i'm gonna hafta go out and eat sometime this week just to spice this up a bit.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

:laugh: Only 6 minutes have passed between your posts here, and you're already second-guessing your blog!

I guess I would feel the same way... any blog I would produce would be filled with an alarming amount of cereal consumption. (blog of the unemployed) :rolleyes:

Herbicidal, where do you live? I remember moving to PA and always laughing when I went to a WaWa...something about that name :biggrin:. I loved the sandwiches and fresh fruit, though.

Alacarte - WaWa is similar to 7-11, though they don't sell alcohol (have to go to state stores for that). Also yummy deli sandwiches :smile:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

methinks i'm gonna hafta go out and eat sometime this week just to spice this up a bit.

I think mine would be pretty dull, too, at least in comparison with most of the previous ones. Feeding a family of four on a serious budget tends to cramp the ol cooking style a wee bit.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I guess I would feel the same way... any blog I would produce would be filled with an alarming amount of cereal consumption.  (blog of the unemployed)  :rolleyes:

similarly unemployed.

just had another medium sized muffin and a chinese pastry translated as wife cake.

wife cake is a circular, fairly flat, yellowish pastry. not sure exactly what it's filled with. possibly lotus, but texture is off for that. it's only the second one i've had in the US, and the fourth I can recall in my lifetime.

anyone know? ling? gary soup?

wawa is a mid-atlantic convenience store chain.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

:laugh:  Only 6 minutes have passed between your posts here, and you're already second-guessing your blog! 

I guess I would feel the same way... any blog I would produce would be filled with an alarming amount of cereal consumption.  (blog of the unemployed)  :rolleyes:

it's not second guessing. i was thinking that just about when i got tagged to do the blog.

Side note: I hate you all for making me do this.

Like I don't procrastinate enough on this damn site.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

finished the last of a family size bag of utz potato chips.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Mmmm....what flavor? I miss Utz potato chips.

Kathy

Mmmm....what flavor? I miss Utz potato chips.

plain.

i'm semi pissed at my friend. he was supposed to get married in York, PA, and i was planning to go to the wedding, and bring back loads of potato chips, pretzels, etc. that aren't sold in the Philly area.

he ended up going on a cruise and just getting married there.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Please define what you mean by "the last." My husband's definition is what's ever left in the bag when he gets to it, makes no difference if it's basically a new bag or just the crumbs.. :laugh:

And you can probably buy Utz products on-line if they're not available where you live.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I know it has only been about 9 hours, but do you actually eat meals? :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Please define what you mean by "the last." My husband's definition is what's ever left in the bag when he gets to it, makes no difference if it's basically a new bag or just the crumbs.. :laugh:

And you can probably buy Utz products on-line if they're not available where you live.

i can buy utz in stores here. snyder's of hanover as well.

but there's smaller, less well known brands that i can't.

i had less than 1/5 of the bag left.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I know it has only been about 9 hours, but do you actually eat meals? :biggrin:

during the day, i prefer not to. i'd rather eat little bits here and there continuously. dinner coming up shortly.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

okay, what you've been waiting all day for:

a Chinese family's dinner.

leftovers:

strfried stringbeans

stirfried chicken slices, broccoli, carrots, and onions

roast pork and roast pork belly

loi su ap (cantonese pronounciation) duck soaked in a briny liquid that i'm not sure about

new:

stirfried zucchini

steamed tilipia with (direct ranslation from package) tianjin cold vegetable

mixed:

beef tendon + pig intestines, served cold

finishing off an apple and a pear right now.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

similarly unemployed.

just had another medium sized muffin and a chinese pastry translated as wife cake.

wife cake is a circular, fairly flat, yellowish pastry. not sure exactly what it's filled with. possibly lotus, but texture is off for that. it's only the second one i've had in the US, and the fourth I can recall in my lifetime.

anyone know? ling? gary soup?

wawa is a mid-atlantic convenience store chain.

MMmm I love "wife cake". :biggrin:

The filling differs from bakery to bakery. Also called "wintermelon cake" in Chinese and contains pureed wintermelon and sugar, with glutinous rice paste. Here in Canada "wife cake" usually just has the sweet glutinous rice paste...no wintermelon chunkies.

I prefer just the glutinous rice paste.

Edited by Ling (log)

WaWa is similar to 7-11, though they don't sell alcohol

Your neighbourhood 7-11 sells alcohol? :blink:

Yep - mostly cheap beer and wine coolers. You can also buy alcohol of all sorts in any grocery store - from beer to wine to vodka and everything in between. It was quite a culture shock, the first time I went looking for a bottle of dry sherry in PA and was told to find a state store.

Kathy