• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Applesauce

guajolote

Oh, my! You take me back to Girl Scout camp where we dropped dollops of Dromedary gingerbread mix (prepared by instructions on the back of the package) into simmering applesauce. Can't remember what we called it, but I'm sure there was some camper name. :laugh:

The mix cooked in the applesauce? This sounds like fun.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Since you are interested in Mexican cooking... I would suggest improvising applesauce into a Manchamanteles... it is a Mole that simmers with whole pieces of fruit.. in the Tehuantepec Isthmus region it is typically tropical fruits like Pinapple etc., but in the cloud forest region of Veracruz & Puebla where there is an abundance of stone fruits they use apples, pears, peaches & apricots.

Basically a slightly sweet, slightly sour, medium spicy, medium bitterness sauce eaten with Pork or Poultry & stewed, grilled or roasted fruits and/or plantain, sweet potato, tamales.

Ooohhh. Can you hook a sista up with a recipe for that?

Do you read Spanish? If so here is a basic recipe that has Pineapple & Plaintain:

http://www.wradio.com.mx/noticia/mancha-manteles-receta-proporcionada-por-jose-barreras-cocinero-de-cabecera-de-okw/20090526/nota/818406.aspx

and here is a recipe that utilizes Pear, Peaches, Apple & Plaintain

http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/manchamantel.html

...And I love to just use applesauce over gingerbread, with or without additional whipped cream or ice cream, to make 'sundaes'.

Oh, my! You take me back to Girl Scout camp where we dropped dollops of Dromedary gingerbread mix (prepared by instructions on the back of the package) into simmering applesauce. Can't remember what we called it, but I'm sure there was some camper name. :laugh:

Gingerbread dumplings in hot applesauce? Wow! Sign me up!

• 3 weeks later...

Soon I will no longer have an excess of applesauce in the freezer. Between making PanaCan's apple cake and the Aplets, suggested by Sylvia Lovegren, I have used up quite a lot of applesauce in the last two weeks.

Made a second batch of PanaCan's cake and it made 24 large muffins. Added 25% to the raisins and walnuts.

Here's another batch of the Aplets: the divided pan in the making is half with pecans and half with walnuts. The finished photo are what's left of the pecans. Most tasters had no preference as to nut, but I liked the walnuts better. The pecans are for my confectionery partner who is allergic to walnuts...that's if there is even one left by the next time I see her. :raz:

PB160001_01.JPG

PB170003.JPG

They are extremely delicious. Can't eat just one! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.