• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Applesauce

guajolote

Don't sugar it. I use a very small amount of water, and cook the pared, cored apples slowly for about 15-20 minutes, then hand mash for a chunky texture. For a finer texture put it through a food mill. Add a cinnamon stick or two while the apples cook if you want that flavor. Some recipes recommend a few whole cloves, but I find that cloves overpower the apples.

Edit: spelling

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I find it easiest to roughly cut up the apple, discarding the bad bits, stew for an hour or so with about a pint of water to each lb of apple, and then sieve the resulting pulp. Add a pinch of Vitamin C powder, or the juice of a lemon to stop discolouring, and a knob of butter to keep the foam down. You may need to add half a cup of sugar or so per pint depending how sweet are the apples, and how sweet you like the sauce.

Others prefer to peel and core the apples first, but since you have to sive it anyway I find that hard work.

Some apple go to sauce easier than others. Bramley are the supreme sauce apple. Granny smith will need cooking for longer or action with the stick blender.

• 3 years later...

Grandma and I just finished making some homemade applesauce made from NC grown apples. She has a really simple recipe which made me curious as to how others make their applesauce. Is there only a certain apple that you will use? Do you add spices to your applesauce? How much sugar do you add? I would be interested to see the different techniques.

Cheers!

Mary

I make applesauce with a combination of several types of apples. I simply core and chop the apples peel and all, add 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt for every quart of apples, cook until soft and mushy, then put the cooked apples through a food mill to remove the skins. I like the rosy tint this gives the applesauce and I think it enhances the flavor.

I usually can half the batch unsweetened, then divide the remainder and add sugar(or sugar and Splenda since I have diabetes) cinnamon and a tiny bit of ground cloves to part and cook for just long enough for the flavors to blend.

The remainder I continue cooking, adding sweetener and a mixture of sweet spices until it has cooked down, become dark brown and very thick, apple butter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been using a spiced applesauce recipe from the Staff Meals at Chanterelle cookbook, which I like lots. I use macintoshes, my preferred apples, because they're both tart and sweet. Peeled, cooked in a little bit of water, with a bit of salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and black pepper. I've got some old Apfelwein (sp?) that a friend brought me from Cologne a few years ago that I'm going to start using in place of the water.

I don't have one way to make applesauce, it really varies.

Most often I use a variety of apples, a little salt and a glug of Calvados. Sometimes I leave the peels on and put it through the food mill, sometimes I peel in advance so that I can have chunks of apple still in my sauce. Other potential additions, aside from Calvados, are orange zest or juice, lemon juice, nutmeg, cardamon, cinnamon, a little sugar, Grand Marnier, or cider. I don't add much sugar and generally find the simpler the better.

Cheers,

Anne

I have never made applesauce myself, but I was actually just thinking today about the applesauce that my bubbe used to make. I know that she cooked it with the skins on and she put (dried?) apricots in it. We used to have it for dessert whenever we went to dinner at her house. I should see if my mom has the recipe.

My grandma favorite apple to use is Rome. She peels the apples first then cooks them. If she wants to add some color to the sauce, she just cooks the peels seperately in some water until the water starts to turn pink. Then she adds the water to the cooked apples. She isn't a huge fan of adding spices to it, but when she does she adds the cinnamon right before she is ready to eat it. Im not sure why she does this. I would assume that it would taste much better if you added the cinnamon to the apples while they were still hot.

Thanks for the link GG! I did find it interesting :smile:

• 1 month later...

What to do with leftover applesauce?

I work in a hotel/banquet/2 restaurant outlet and have about 1 1/2-2 quarts of applesauce leftover that I have no idea what to do with. Anyone have some good muffin recipes? Any ideas on substituting the applesauce as a fat (that can be done, correct?)

Any/all ideas are welcome. Thanks!

What to do with leftover applesauce?

I work in a hotel/banquet/2 restaurant outlet and have about 1 1/2-2 quarts of applesauce leftover that I have no idea what to do with. Anyone have some good muffin recipes? Any ideas on substituting the applesauce as a fat (that can be done, correct?)

Any/all ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Make 8-9 batches of these!

SB :smile:

• 5 years later...

Last fall was a year of excess of apples. Wonderful. Macs and Northern Spies. We made and froze apple juice until we were too tired to do any more. We ate apple pie. With 5-yr old cheddar. Please, we are Canadians. :cool:

Then I made and froze a glut of applesauce.

What can I make with this apple sauce which retains the 'appleness' of the result? I've made an Applesauce Cake. Very nice. But about as 'apple-y' as Chocolate Zucchini cake tastes of zucchini. Which is not at all.

How can I use it...and don't tell me to eat it as applesauce, please, or to put it on potato latkes (gaggh) or pork...and keep the appleness in the forefront? Or is there even a way?

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I can give you my applesauce cake recipe, which does really retain the flavour of the apples and which is hypermoist and yummy.... (ooh, especially if you cover it in manjar de leche by way of icing, it's like eating caramel apples. :raz: How do we not have a drooling smilie?) It's a fave at the bakery, and I can't keep enough applesauce in the freezer.

You could also try incorporating it into ice cream - what comes to mind is applesauce with a mild hit of cinnamon and perhaps a touch of clove, and a caramel ribbon.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Applesauce pie? I've never made it, but googling it brought up lots of different recipes. Some seem like pureed apple pie and others more like pumpkin pie with applies replacing the squash. They all sound good to me!

Applesauce muffins and add some chopped apple for additional apple flavor?

I grew up in the Pacific NW where Aplet and Cotlets were a favorite treat -- local Turkish Delight made with either apples or apricots. Found a recipe for Aplets which sounds really good: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Candy/AppleCandy.htm

I usually make apple butter from whatever apples are left around this time of year. Since applesauce is basically an intermediate step to making apple butter, you could reduce some down to apple butter as long as you didn't doctor up the applesauce too much. I like it on toast, pancakes, and ice cream (with lots of toasted walnuts!).

Since you are interested in Mexican cooking... I would suggest improvising applesauce into a Manchamanteles... it is a Mole that simmers with whole pieces of fruit.. in the Tehuantepec Isthmus region it is typically tropical fruits like Pinapple etc., but in the cloud forest region of Veracruz & Puebla where there is an abundance of stone fruits they use apples, pears, peaches & apricots.

Basically a slightly sweet, slightly sour, medium spicy, medium bitterness sauce eaten with Pork or Poultry & stewed, grilled or roasted fruits and/or plantain, sweet potato, tamales.

I would also cast a vote for apple butter.

Another cake that uses the applesauce "straight" is a stack cake - usually a plain or you can use spice cake baked in thin layers (not regular layers sliced thinly) "filled" with applesauce between the layers.

Here's one similar to one I make Grandmother Bennett's Old Fashion Stack Cake

My grandmother often used tart rings and baked the cakes on a griddle. She also mixed clabbered cream (sour cream or thick yogurt works) into the apple butter if using that to cut some of the sweetness.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can give you my applesauce cake recipe, which does really retain the flavour of the apples and which is hypermoist and yummy.... (ooh, especially if you cover it in manjar de leche by way of icing, it's like eating caramel apples. :raz: How do we not have a drooling smilie?) It's a fave at the bakery, and I can't keep enough applesauce in the freezer.

You could also try incorporating it into ice cream - what comes to mind is applesauce with a mild hit of cinnamon and perhaps a touch of clove, and a caramel ribbon.

I'd really seriously love to have that recipe, too, if you don't mind.

Sounds perfect for our family.

In fact, I can hardly wait!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.