• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Importance of hing and Salt

M65

People,

I find this dynamic duo of spices ( HING & SALT) very important to my cooking "ishtyle", lol

Wine dictates the yes or no in my cooking style, your comments would be deeply appricated.

Regards

Edited by M65 (log)

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

People,

I find this dynamic duo of spices ( HING & SALT)  very important to my cooking "ishtyle", lol

Wine dictates the yes or no in my cooking style, your comments would be deeply appricated.

Regards,

Malay

Acintya Bheda Bheda Tatva

KulaShaker

I think, as Monica suggested in the DC forum, we all need to visit you & check out your 'istyle' , it seems very interesting. I think a fall saturday afternoon would be good to enjoy all your wine paired 'hing & salt' creations. we'll bring a designated driver.

Monica, are you listenting.

Mel check out the images at the end of Indique thread on the DC forums.

Bhasin

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

People,

I find this dynamic duo of spices ( HING & SALT)  very important to my cooking "ishtyle", lol

Regards,

Malay

Acintya Bheda Bheda Tatva

KulaShaker

I think, as Monica suggested in the DC forum, we all need to visit you & check out your 'istyle' , it seems very interesting. I think a fall saturday afternoon would be good to enjoy all your wine paired 'hing & salt' creations. we'll bring a designated driver.

Monica, are you listenting.

Mel check out the images at the end of Indique thread on the DC forums.

Bhasin

I am listening Sir -- gather up the gang -- I am ready to go!!!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 2 months later...

Oh Yes please

It was called Dragons dung!

But the aroma of Hing spluttering in Ghee - yes please.

I was only introduced to hing after i got married. I now cannot do without. I buy two types. My Daal drags people to it from all over...

A semi solid form said to be the purest, I add water to the box it comes in and then use a couple of drops at a time. This does not need to be used in the tempering. It can be added to the cooked daal before serving.

The other is the dung looking one (sorry could not resist) this I cut and add fragments of to the tempering.

I get them both from Dehra Dun. Can supply details on where if anyone needs them.

Rushina