• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lavender

Flounder

On a recent visit to Gramercy Tavern in NYC, my girlfriend and I had a great Chocolate Creme Brulee with Lavender. (We also had an unbelieveable Thyme flavored ice creme.)

But we are trying to re-create the Brulee and were wondering if anyone knew of a place to get some Lavender in Central New Jersey?

(Plus, if anyone has been to Gramercy Tav lately we would love to hear about that too. But maybe in another forum.)

Flounder

I'm not familiar with places in Jersey, but here in Manhattan some of the stands selling herbs at the Greenmarkets (definitely Union Square, maybe Downtown Brooklyn and some others) will have it. Dried, of course.

Wherever you look, make sure it's organic; that is, not sprayed with any pesticides or growth potions.

Once you find it, there are lots of other things you can do with it. I like to add a pinch to my version of Herbes de Provence. But be careful: it can be very, VERY strong.

An herb farm with dried lavender and probably plants too:

Whiskey Run Herb & Flower Farm

188 Locktown/Flemington Road

Flemington, NJ 08822

908-782-1278

I got lavender and rosemary there for my wedding "toss." It's kind of a fancy place, but with beautiful greenhouses, hummingbird plants, etc. Great destination for a Sunday drive in the country (just make sure they're open on Sunday!). Also, there's Basil Bandwagon (health food store):

Basil Bandwagon Natural Market

176 US Highway No 202

Flemington, NJ 08822

908-788-5737

Call first with this one too. I know they moved recently and I don't know if this is the new or the old address. They have herbs/spices/grains in bulk. Turnover is pretty good compared to other stores of its kind. I assume they carry lavender, but do ask.

If you're closer to Princeton, here's an herb farm in Jobstown. Never been there. Looks like they only sell the plants.

If all else fails, there's always www.americanspice.com.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Not quite Central NJ but:

Well-Sweep Herb Farm

205 Mount Bethel Road

Port Murray, New Jersey 07865

(908)852-5390

Our farm, a family endeavor, is located in the picturesque mountains of Warren County and is home to one of the largest collections of herbs and perennials in the country.

Well-Sweep offers an enormous selection of lavenders in a variety of flower size and colors.

They also have culinary lavender flowers and lavender essential oil

Well-Sweep Herb Farm

PDF Catalog

Ariel Herbs

1525 Silverton Road

Toms River, NJ 08755

732-240-3652

We are a family owned and operated organic herb farm located in rural New Jersey. We specialize in "picked at the peak of perfection" culinary herbs.

Ariel Herbs

Gunning River Herbs

163 Gunning River Road

Barnegat, N.J. 08005

Phone 609-698-1921

At Gunning River Herbs, we grow and sell a wide variety of medicinal, culinary, and ornamental herb plants.

They're also selling lavender soap online.

Fat Spike Lavender Soap

Four oz. bar of all natural handmade lavender soap, looks and smells delightful!

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

• 6 years later...

Try contacting Culinary Specialty Produce in Mountainside. They offer a variety of produce as well as herbs and spices. Culinary Specialty Produce, 1190 Route 22 West, Mountainside, NJ 07092, 908-789-4702, http://www.culinaryproduce.com/about/index.htm

Jennifer A. Wickes

Food Writer, Recipe Developer

http://jenniferwickes.blogspot.com