• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Taurino Notarpanaro 1997

docsconz

This wine is one of the pillars in the renaissance of southern Italian wines. It was simply delightful with a unique and profundly fruity nose. I spent about five minutes just enjoying the bouquet. made from 85% negroamaro and 15% malvasia nero, this is indeed a fruit bomb, but without the heaviness and overall extract of the Parker classics. The acid and body was more than sufficient to enhance braised pork shoulder with pancetta white bean ragout and is a great wine for robust eating. Retail is around $15/bottle.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This wine is one of the pillars in the renaissance of southern Italian wines. It was simply delightful with a unique and profundly fruity nose. I spent about five minutes just enjoying the bouquet. made from 85% negroamaro and 15% malvasia nero, this is indeed a fruit bomb, but without the heaviness and overall extract of the Parker classics. The acid and body was more than sufficient to enhance braised pork shoulder with pancetta white bean ragout and is a great wine for robust eating. Retail is around $15/bottle.

Is this the same as Notarpanaro? I was given a few bottles in trade and enjoyed them.

I haven't yet had the pleasure, but I like its little brother, the Taurino Salice Salentino '99 a lot. It's 80% Negroamoro and 20% Malvasia Rossa, and can be had for under $10. Far bigger cherry and earth than is typical of the price range.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I haven't yet had the pleasure, but I like its little brother, the Taurino Salice Salentino '99 a lot.  It's 80% Negroamoro and 20% Malvasia Rossa, and can be had for under $10.  Far bigger cherry and earth than is typical of the price range.

SHHHHHH YOU GUYS! This is the last great wine bargain in the world. Don't tell everybody!!! :angry:

Mark

This is one of my by-the-glass pours at Striped Bass. Everyone loves it. The bartenders are converting the Cabernet drinkers daily.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I haven't yet had the pleasure, but I like its little brother, the Taurino Salice Salentino '99 a lot.  It's 80% Negroamoro and 20% Malvasia Rossa, and can be had for under $10.  Far bigger cherry and earth than is typical of the price range.

It is much less rustic and more sophisticated than Salice. It has one of those bretty Pakery noses, and luscious fruit.

over it

I just picked up 6 bottles of Salice Salentino at an Italian wine sale for less than 10.00 a throw. Taurino is always a producer I've had luck with ever since I had a bottle of Patriglione two years ago.

Yup, the Salice Salentino is one of my favorites as well. It's my every day red, especially since the Marques de Caceres Rioja got all snooty and went to $14 a bottle :biggrin:. I like big paint-stripping reds, and the Taurino fits the bill. I think of the Salice Salentino, E. Guigal's Cotes du Rhone and a couple of others as high-end pizza wines. They go well with casual food, but you wouldn't be ashamed to put them on the table with guests over. Any others I'm missing?

Chad

edit: spellig

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com