• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Morels

jwagnerdsm

[

I bought a nice sized bag of dried morels at the Farmers Market in Des Moines today. I love morels in the spring but usually just fry 'em up in butter with a cracker coating. Any ideas on how I might use these? I'd like to grind 'em up and use them to coat a nice piece of beef, although I'm not sure this would work or even add much to the meat. Ideas?

Edited by jwagnerdsm (log)

[

I bought a nice sized bag of dried morels at the Farmers Market in Des Moines today. I love morels in the spring but usually just fry 'em up in butter with a cracker coating. Any ideas on how I might use these? I'd like to grind 'em up and use them to coat a nice piece of beef, although I'm not sure this would work or even add much to the meat. Ideas?

Jay: You've got a bag of Bliss. Many food professionals feel that dried Morels are sometimes better in Sauces and for Cooking then the Fresh.

I prefer soaking them in Dry White Wine, squeezing the liquid out and them incorperating them into a Veal Demi-Gace/Cream Sauce and Cooking with Sauted Veal Medallions.

For Hor Dourves they marry well when stuffed with a Fresh Small Oyster, snipped chives, garlic and butter. Then Simply Broiled.

They also after being soaked be used in the same manner as fresh Morels, but are superior in Soups or Sauces.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Even when reconstituted morels have a special texture as well as a wonderful flavor. It would be a crime to grind them up (can they be so cheap in Iowa that this would make make sense?). Definitely incorporate them into a sauce. Traditionally they would be used in a cream sauce, where they become the star,but a red wine - demi glace reduction would also be good. I would use dried shiitake or even better porcini to coat your meat. Reconstituted porcini do not have a particularly good texture but when powdered the dried porcini make a great coating for meat or fish. :blink:

Ruth Friedman

shit yeah that is a good deal....

one thing you gotta remember: morels almost ALWAYS have little worms in them...whenever I use them I halve them and clean them out. I would say that, in my experience, 85% of morels have at least one worm.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I got so excited I forgot to post suggestions.

A chix fricassee, with the soaking water as the braising liquid.

Risotto, with half chix stock and half soaking liquid, light Parm, lots of butter..

Veal chops or venison medallions or steak or filet with a red wine-morel liquid reduction. If you are lucky enough to have some meat glaze or good sticky veal stock, holy wow that'll be good. If not, finish with butter. (Meat glaze is a truly wonderful concoction. Peterson's Sauces has good instructions.)

On a pizza, with very light cheese.

In a mushroom ragout with other mushrooms, to deepen their flavors.

Beef or venison stew.

I'm getting faint and I have to go lie down now.,

I always rinse my dried morels in several changes of fresh water both before and after soaking. In addition to the above-mentioned suggestions (all wonderful), I'd suggest trying them over salmon. Saute in butter, add a little white wine and reduce, add salt and thyme, add a little cream and reduce, taste and adjust.

As suggested, morels with red wine, glace, and butter make an incredible sauce for steak or veal chops. I sometimes add dried cherries that have been soaked in port or red wine.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If they are clean I would soak them in olive oil for a few weeks and then use them. You get some free morel flavoured oil in the bargain that beats many commercial tartufo/truffle oil brands.

I use morels in delicately spiced pilafs and in curries.

Or I would use them in a wine+cream sauce as the main flavoring ingredient for meats or seafood.

What weight did you get for $5?

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

• 2 years later...

I have a small container of dried morels I want to try (never tasted the things before) and I am not finding a great number of recipes out there. Anyone care to share a favorite? I can buy more dried morels here, but fresh are nowhere to be found.

There's a recipe in an old issue of Food and Wine that is the reason I keep dried mushrooms on hand at all times. I was trying to find the orginal recipe on their website, but it wasn't there, so here's my remembered version.

Cut up and render some pancetta, then sweat some chopped shallots and garlic to the fat in the pan. Add some fresh thyme, chopped dried figs, and your soaked and drained morels. Strain any grit from the morel soaking liquid and add to the pan. Reduce to desired consistency and serve over soft polenta with grated parmesan cheese.

Sorry about the lack of amounts, but it's really a "to taste" kinda thing anyway. It's simple and that allows the dried mushrooms to star. I ususally have all these items in the house, so it's a great quick meal.

Soak 'em in a little alcohol till they've softened up - madeira, marsala, white wine, or a brandy of some sort. Hell, use armagnac if you're feeling reckless. Saute them in butter and use them in cream sauce. Do not throw out that wild mushroom infused liquor! Use it, too - it's heavenly.

I love the way that Lobster and Morels go together, for our 25th anniversary gala at work our 2nd course was a lobster ravioli, with morels and sauce americana. It was fabulous, each plate was garnished with a morell stuffed with a wild mushroom duxelle, truley decadent.