• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Drinks/Cocktails

beans

These are a few of the drinks and recipes from various sources (Webtender, distillers) for some Halloween fun. The title(s) and fonts were accurate to my table tent menus, minus these silly/fun gifs. (none are copyrighted nor infringing to the very best of my knowledge)

Now if I could only get that embedded music midi file to work.... :angry:

Cheers!

happy%20halloween.gif

:blush:

Thanks Robert! It's about as much as Easy Design and AOL permit for homepage creating urges. I think I might try a Werewolf, a spin off on Rusty Nails, which I enjoy very much this time of year. :smile:

I'll try to monkey around with that midi file and who knows, silly music for a silly page may come together.

Here are additional Halloween themed drinks, alcholic and non, here (Webtender Drink Recipe database) and here (Kathy Hamlin about.com).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I want to offer one pre-made drink at a halloween party I am throwing, the rest they are on their own! :raz:

I would prefer something red (not tomato juice) which will be offered in a punch bowl with all sorts of critters floating around in it.

I thought of just cranberry / soda / vodka but thats too basic. Looking for some inspired ideas.

Thanks,

Justin

The Red Feather Boa:

2 oz. Rye

.5 oz. Maraschino

.5 oz. fresh lemon juice

.25 oz Grenadine (one barspoon)

dash of bitters

Shake over ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon peel/twist (flamed if you're feeling fancy)

Screaming red in the glass and very tasty, even if I say so myself. :smile:

I don't know what the proportions for a punchbowl would be. I suppose you could just multiply in a linear fashion and then taste for seasoning, as it were. Make a single one first so you know what it's supposed to taste like.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There is no substitute for maraschino, unfortunately. However, I think you could use the grenadine-as-blood-red-coloring idea in virtually any cocktail of your choosing. You could even make a simple Electric Lemonade type punch and add lots of grenadine or pomegranate juice for coloring and flavor.

Perhaps something like this:

Fresh Lemon juice

Simple syrup (flavored or not as you wish - Ginger simple might be tasty)

Citron vodka (I like the flavor of the Ketel One Citroen, myself)

Grenadine or Pomegranate juice

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm looking for Halloween drink ideas too, to bring to a party. Martha Stewart suggested tequila, lime and one of the green "health juices." There's a green apple/kiwiw/wheatgrass one I like, so I may use that, but she suggests rimming the glass with powdered green tea or file powder to get a mossy look, but I'm wondering about the taste. The tea might be ok (esp if I went with vodka stead tequila?), but I've never tasted file powder on its own. What do you think?

This one isn't blood-red, but the picture here looks pretty Halloween-y. Any other ooky-looking drink ideas?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Well for a party of about 30 people, I dont feel like manning the bar all night, so a large 'vat' it is...

I am thinking something along the lines of Stoli Vodka/Lemon Juice/Cranberry Juice or Pom. Juice/and a dash of fresh OJ...and the obvious floating worms and creepies for a nice added effect.

Want to keep it fairly basic and it has to be blood red...I just dont think of Green when I think halloween.

I'm a tad bit surprised no one has offered up the original "blood punch", Sangria.

Of course if wine is not to your liking a "bat bite" is rather tasty.

Rum (spiced if you prefer, though I do not)

Cranberry

Plenty of lime wedges for you guests to manage their own sour level

Check this recipe for Agua de Jamaica (hibiscus punch) from Rick Bayless.

Bayless Agua de Jamaica

Making a big batch, spiking it with lime, sugar, and tequila would be pretty easy and very red.

To make a jamaican version (sorrell punch), also add cinnamon, allspice and ginger. Spike with rum (preferably Wray & Nephew overproof). Watch out for Damballah.

edit - BTW, if you can get Hibiscus flowers in bulk at a latin (jamaican?) grocery or health food store, it will be way cheaper than buying all that pomegranate juice, and pound for pound, just as tasty.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Kevin and I stumbled on a scary drink that we decided would be perfect for Halloween... If you use Blue Curacao and pomegranate juice with ***insert your favorite white liquor; gin, vodka, etc.*** the drink turns BLACK! We were playing with martinis and whatnot and the black color was really interesting. I'm just not a fan of Blue Curacao.

Kevin and I stumbled on a scary drink that we decided would be perfect for Halloween... If you use Blue Curacao and pomegranate juice with ***insert your favorite white liquor; gin, vodka, etc.*** the drink turns BLACK! We were playing with martinis and whatnot and the black color was really interesting. I'm just not a fan of Blue Curacao.

Cheap Blue Curacao is hideous stuff. I prefer to make my own by using blue food coloring and Luxardo Triplum, which is a dead ringer for Cointreau. You can use less too, because it tastes better. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Cheap Blue Curacao is hideous stuff. I prefer to make my own by using blue food coloring and Luxardo Triplum, which is a dead ringer for Cointreau. You can use less too, because it tastes better. :cool:

Katie's right, of course, but for those of us unfortunate enough to have a bottle of blue curacao languishing in the cupboard this is probably the best idea I've heard for getting rid of it. I've had one since well before I'd ever heard of eGullet, Drinkboy, Chas. Baker, Embury, Wondrich, DeGroff, Regan et al, and I can't quite bring myself to dump it down the drain. I wonder if mixing blue curacao with one of the good triple secs or curacaos will make for an equally black drink? IIRC the bottle I have is very, very blue. I imagine a 50/50 mix would still do the trick while leaving the drink only slightly marred.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Katie's right, of course, but for those of us unfortunate enough to have a bottle of blue curacao languishing in the cupboard this is probably the best idea I've heard for getting rid of it. I've had one since well before I'd ever heard of eGullet, Drinkboy, Chas. Baker, Embury, Wondrich, DeGroff, Regan et al, and I can't quite bring myself to dump it down the drain. I wonder if mixing blue curacao with one of the good triple secs or curacaos will make for an equally black drink? IIRC the bottle I have is very, very blue. I imagine a 50/50 mix would still do the trick while leaving the drink only slightly marred.

Kurt

I think the secret of the blackness was the blue in the Curacao with the addition of Pomegranate juice which is pretty inky dark. Any other liquor we were adding in (and we tried several, believe me!) seemed inconsequential. Report back if you find otherwise!

Kurt

Kurt:

You could probably definitely improve the bad stuff with a small dose of the good stuff to bump up the flavor profile. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Another way to use up the blue curacao is to use a couple of drops in a basic cosmo to turn it a lovely shade of lavender. Looks really pretty in the glass, especially garnished with an orchid on the side. :cool:

Actually any drink that needs regular triple sec or Cointreau and has a red juice element to it like cranberry or pomegranate would turn a lovely shade of lavender/purple in the glass. Or a couple of drops in a clear drink for a nice sky blue color is good too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd give this a bump again with Halloween around the corner and I'm sure many of us will have events/parties on.

So what recommendations are there for themed Halloween Cocktails? I'm thinking things like Dark & Stormys, Voodoo Cocktails, Zombies, Death in the Afternoons and Corpse Revivers, not sweet drinks that are ridiculously coloured.

Over to you...

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

I've intended to give the Satan's Whiskers from Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails a try because the name fits the theme but haven't got around to it yet. The recipe is 1/2 oz. each gin, sweet and dry vermouths and OJ plus 2 tsp. Grand Marnier and a teaspoon of orange bitters. Shake with ice, strain, orange twist. That sounds like a lot of bitters to me but, being a cocktail novice, I guess I should trust the recipe.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh my! Corpse revivers - boy would i love one of those right now....... What about a satans whiskers?

30ml Gin

15ml Sweet Vermouth

15ml Dry Vermouth

30ml Orange Juice

15ml Grand Marnier

dash orange bitters

shake over ice and strain into a martini glass?

or blood and sand

20ml Scotch (blended)

20ml Cherry Heering

20ml Sweet Vermouth

20ml Freshly squeezed OJ

shake over ice and serve straight up.

or el diablo?

40ml Tequila

20ml Cassis

20ml Lime Juice

Ginger beer

shake first 3 ingredients over ice, strain into collins glass filled with ice and top with ginger beer

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

If you're looking non-alcoholic as well, we just posted Poison Apple Punch.

2 parts Apple Juice

1 part Ginger Beer

1 part Raspberry Syrup (post back if you need recipe)

drinks_poisonapple.jpg?w=500&h=300

In a few days, we'll be doing Midnight Punch, which is (this is a one-drink size, scale as needed)...

4 oz Dark Rum

3 oz Ginger Beer

0.75 oz Grenadine

0.75 oz Grapefruit Juice

drinks_midnightpunch.jpg?w=500

Edited by 12BottleBar (log)

I had an idea for Halloween this year, yet it seems I won't be able to pull it off. Here's the tale...

Underground Dining is huge in my city. Some of these people are goth, enjoy challenging fare or just like to be along for the edginess of the experience.

I was thinking of doing a cocktail event, called 'the grotesques,' sorry DaVinci- I stole your name.

8-10 guests, three cocktails with food to compliment the libations.

The cocktails would utilize 'the nasty bits,' and would challenge the individual's 'will you eat/drink it' impulse. It would utilize parts of animals normal people would have a tough time ingesting. Freaky as can be- that's the fun of it!

I had my guest list, done in my mind. I know these people are game. I didn't know that these people also book their Halloween activities months in advance. Like booked all month with the creepshows they put on. I thought, maybe after. Nope, they all go dormant after the season's work. Blah- gonna have to rethink this one.

I'll get 'em, sooner or later! Strangely enough, winter solstice looks promising.

I was thinking an agar-solidified Sazerac, placed inside of a roasted veal bone. The gel is fluffed with a immersion blender, to give it the texture of bone-marrow. Enjoyed through a straw.

A Dirty Martini, with a large fish eyeball in it. The eyeball would be injected with an olive juice/ vodka mixure and designed to 'pop' with this intense, salty flavor. I'm thinking Opah- the cell stucture is solid enough to support a draining of liquid and then an injection of other liquid. I've meat glue handy, in case.

Snake wine- Anybody help me out on sourcing rattlesnake? It's used in SE Asia, yet not locally. I'd simply put the bottles on the table and let them pour it themselves. Kind of a Baccanalian Feast play...