• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

So in short, Moderne Burger has the complete package.  Big flavourful burgers with terrific fries, and a range of excellent sodas to go with them.  Awesome.  No wonder the line-up is so long!

Guess I'm the lone voice of dissent for this installment of Burger Club. My experience at Moderne was okay, better than meh but not by much.

I can't fault the decor; they've done an excellent job of remodelling after the fire as the whole room seems quite a bit brighter. And the greatly improved HVAC system is a huge bonus... the cooking smells have been significantly reduced.

Here's a shot of Lee's massive Steak Burger Platter with his orange cream soda in the background. I've gotta agree with Lee: that was one mighty fine soda.

gallery_18820_1048_80393.jpg

And a shot of my Lamb Burger with fried onions, mushrooms and Swiss cheese. My Creamsicle milkshake is in the background. It was lovely and thick and tasted just like a Creamsicle would taste in a glass. However, it was a bit on the sweet side, thus preventing Mooshmouse Jr. and me from finishing the whole thing... I think we got through about half of it before raising the white flag.

gallery_18820_1048_65429.jpg

Vancouver Lee noted above that Moderne's burger patties aren't salted or peppered. This is a real sticking point for me since, IMHO, the mark of a good burger is how well it's seasoned. That being said, Moderne's lamb burger was significantly lacking in flavour and pales in comparison to Neil's quintessential lamb burger at HSG, at least according to my tastebuds. To each his (or her) own.

Ian ordered a Salmon Burger which he deemed okay if a little heavy on the sauce. But his Coffee Mocha milkshake disappeared in a heartbeat. No complaints in that department.

The boys went back to take a peek at the goings-on in the kitchen. When they returned to the table, Junior Mouse had two of these in hand.

gallery_18820_1048_33768.jpg

A gummy burger. How perfect.

Service was excellent. Friendly, attentive and perceptive.

All things considered, though, I think I'd head to either Stormin' Norman's, Vera's or HSG for a burger experience before returning to Moderne. But don't let that stop you from paying them a visit. The ambiance alone is worth the trip.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Mr. Carney came in for one of those Lamb Burgers today ( with a friend ).

It would appear we sold out and someone ( me ) did not check so poor old Lee had to settle for a beef burger instead. I did not stop out at the table as I was really grumpy about everything I touched today was empty or nearly empty.

What a pisser !

Games I play on Monday !

1. Guess how many burners were left on overnight, with no flame ? ( Today - only one - short game )

2. How many squeeze bottles are on line that are empty ? - All of them - a real annoying game.

3. Hunt for things around the kitchen - Nothing where it should be.

4. How many things are we out of that nobody has left a note about ?

1. Lamb Burgers

2. Salad dressing

3. Bacon

4. Tomatos

5. I could go on but what is the point......................

5. How many inserts have less than one usable potion in them but still wrapped and put away ? Six, but in all fairness, I saw that before service began so I had it sorted out.

I love my job, I love my staff and I meet interesting people everyday.

This is the little saying that I say everyday to get me through without killing.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

As Joie mentioned above, the lamb and salmon burgers definately looked like they miss the mark, especially in comparison to the excellent Lamb & Yam combo available at the venerable Hamilton Street Grill. Except today, when they were not available (see post above)..... :raz:

Anyhow, I am of the opinion that game burgers (and by game, I mean anything other than beef i.e. lamb, fish, venison, musk ox, etc) should be judged differently than regular beef burgers. I'd agree with Joie that so far, Stormin's seems to be the place to go for a mixed wild game burger. But as far a the traditional meat burger, Moderne's the place for me.

One additional note that Joie's post reminded me of, if the ventilation system has been vastly improved, it must have been pretty awful before. I picked up the clothes I wore last night to wash them today, and they smelled very very strogly of grease. Yuck. Perhaps this is the curse of a small room - I recall the same problem occuring at Vera's in Kits.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Vancouver Lee noted above that Moderne's burger patties aren't salted or peppered.  This is a real sticking point for me since, IMHO, the mark of a good burger is how well it's seasoned.  That being said, Moderne's lamb burger was significantly lacking in flavour and pales in comparison to Neil's quintessential lamb burger at HSG, at least according to my tastebuds.  To each his (or her) own.

What kind of evilness doesn't season their burgers! :blink: Gasp :blink: thou shalt season! salt is your friend!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I live just around the corner, and my wife and I stop in there frequently for a bite and a drink.....this is very good news indeed.  :-)

Is this new burger on the menu at this location now?

It was yesterday, and it's a hockey night, tonight. To be safe tho' best to ask your server.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

People.

Now this is a Lamb Burger.

gallery_18820_1048_57956.jpg

gallery_18820_1048_61237.jpg

After all this talk of HSG's lamb burgers, Vancouver Lee and I succumbed to the temptation and tucked into a couple of these for lunch today. Incredibly moist, perfectly seasoned, nicely complimented by the feta cheese. And a wonderfully crusty Portuguese bun that doesn't disintegrate at first bite.

Personally, I think Neil deserves to be canonized for serving these morsels of delight at his restaurant. If this isn't worthy of sainthood, then I don't know what is.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Do we have something like THIS in Vancouver?

And when are we hitting up Diva for that super-luxe burger? Is it still on the menu?

Wow - that looks incredible. I'm not exactly sure how you get it in your mouth, but I'd sure like to try.

www.leecarney.com

The DC Burger at diva inspires similar droolings from my friends and I. The burger comes with Braised Beef Short Rib and seared foie on top, truffle aioli, frisee (sp.?) and confit tomato on a homemade bun. $34 of pure heaven for a burger fanatic, my record once a week for 3 weeks.

Hello Burger Clubistes,

I was visiting the Cactus Club Test Kitchen today and had the good fortune to sample their new hybrid marque, the Turbo HQZ, now undergoing consumer evaluation before chain-wide roll-out. As some of you may know, the Broadway and Ash CC is where new menu items are tested for the chain; occasionally you might even have your meal comped in exchange for filling out an evaluation card.  

The hamburger comes from ther skilled hands of CC Executive Chef Julian Bond; the provenance of each ingredient is impressive - especially the fresh ground chuck with 25% FC - and instead of a too-thick slabette of distracting fillers, this was just right for the gaping maw.

I'll be interested in your remarks. 

Jamie

Canucklehead and I stopped in at the Broadway and Ash CC to try out the Turbo HQZ tonight, and it was as close to a sexual experience as I think I'll ever have in a Cactus Club (unfortunately).

The beef is, we were told, AAA Canadian shoulder (i.e not Angus) and is not ground as finely as usual. The result is a burger with more beef flavour than any burger I've ever had. It tastes like you're biting into a rib-eye just off the grill, only with a different texture and juicier. So juicy, in fact, that the waitress had to replace my napkin 3 times as I turbo'ed my way through the HQZ.

I had cheddar, mushrooms and bacon on mine, and each topping was generous, satisfying, and could be tasted in every bite.

The bun is whole wheat and definately makes a difference. I don't think a white bread bun would work nearly as well.

This is one serious burger, folks. Run, don't walk, over to Broadway and Ash and give this burger a try. Wear short sleeves and a shirt you don't mind getting burger drippings on! IMHO, this is the best burger I've had in Vancouver, bar none.

Find a better name, and Cactus Club has a winner on their hands.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

www.leecarney.com

This is one serious burger, folks.  Run, don't walk, over to Broadway and Ash and give this burger a try.  Wear short sleeves and a shirt you don't mind getting burger drippings on!  IMHO, this is the best burger I've had in Vancouver, bar none.

That's quite an endorsement...worthy, perhaps, of a special meeting of the Burger Club?

This is one serious burger, folks.  Run, don't walk, over to Broadway and Ash and give this burger a try.  Wear short sleeves and a shirt you don't mind getting burger drippings on!  IMHO, this is the best burger I've had in Vancouver, bar none.

That's quite an endorsement...worthy, perhaps, of a special meeting of the Burger Club?

The same idea occured to me in my sleep last night (what little of it there was...).

Role call, please, of those interested in a special pilgrimage to the site of a potential Burger Miracle.

www.leecarney.com

Here are pictures of said burger:

gallery_25348_1380_1471.jpggallery_25348_1380_5974.jpg

I agree that it was a delicous burger - juicy, beefy, nicely seasoned. The high fat content kept the flavour quotient high and the texture nice and succulent. The fries that came with were very good also - amazingly crisp.

Not sure if this is on the actual menu yet - we asked for the "experimental" burger.

Canucklehead and I stopped in at the Broadway and Ash CC to try out the Turbo HQZ tonight, and it was as close to a sexual experience as I think I'll ever have in a Cactus Club (unfortunately).
Let me just say that I kept my eyes politely and steadfastly averted (actually I was a little frightened) as VL had his "When Harry Met Sally" burger moment. We had to leave a very generous tip.

Let me just say that I kept my eyes politely and steadfastly averted (actually I was a little frightened) as VL had his "When Harry Met Sally" burger moment.  We had to leave a very generous tip.

On the other hand, there are now 29 new people who want to join Burger Club.

www.leecarney.com

We were at The Cactus Club on Broadway a couple of weeks ago and had a burger as well - I don't think it was a "turbo" burger, but after one bite, my husband and I declared it to be the Best Burger we had ever had. The bun (white) had just the right texture, good amount of toppings and condiment, great beef flavour on a not-too-large patty. Perfection. We were amazed - how could Cactus Club produce such an awesome burger without anybody talking about it? I thought about posting, but was worried about being laughed out of the Forum........

So even if you can't get a "Turbo Burger", go and try one - they're really worth making the trip for.

By the way, has anyone else tried a burger at a different CC location?

Oh man, this is making me REALLY hungry........ :blink:

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

The same idea occured to me in my sleep last night (what little of it there was...).

Role call, please, of those interested in a special pilgrimage to the site of a potential Burger Miracle.

Schedule permitting, I think I need to try this puppy, whole wheat bun notwithstanding.

I like the name Turbo Burger...as long as it doesn't give you dual exhaust...:unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Oh my...I shouldn't look at pictures like that before I've had dinner. Count me in - I can't wait to sink my teeth into one of those luscious burgers. I'm stuck in meetings in Victoria and Ottawa from Nov. 30 - Dec. 12 so if we could work around those times, this mamacat would be very grateful!

The beef is, we were told, AAA Canadian shoulder (i.e not Angus) and is not ground as finely as usual.  The result is a burger with more beef flavour than any burger I've ever had.  It tastes like you're biting into a rib-eye just off the grill, only with a different texture and juicier.  So juicy, in fact, that the waitress had to replace my napkin 3 times as I turbo'ed my way through the HQZ.

I had cheddar, mushrooms and bacon on mine, and each topping was generous, satisfying, and could be tasted in every bite.

The bun is whole wheat and definately makes a difference.  I don't think a white bread bun would work nearly as well.

Find a better name, and Cactus Club has a winner on their hands.

Lee,

I'm glad that you agree with my opinion - it's the best hamburger I've eaten in Vancouver since the zenith of the artform at Heron's, and of course the extraordinary naked hamburger, cooked RMR to order at The Vancouver Club in Bar Three.

I put it up to premium ingredients, including the (as you point out) single-source (shoulder only) medium grind, 25% FC, premium cheddar, smoky bacon, 'happy face' tomato slice, whole leaf lettuce (versus shredded iceberg) and a very good bun. The crust on the patty was very good indeed, the savour of the juices (so rare these PC days) unique.

Did you notice that your hamburger was served 'lid on' and warmed? Julian Bond has developed a special low heat 200˚F stainless surface for slowly heating the bun through. That's the level of detail he's going to - chain-wide.

In the interests of top secret research, I gave it that silly 'development' name - the Turbo Whatever. But I also suggested to Julian that a good name (create the brand, right), would be the CCC™ (Certified Cactus Club) Hamburger.

It was impressive to see the traction that he's getting so quickly (just four months in) on the menu. Ditto Michael Noble at Earls; his development menu today - of some 20 items - was nothing short of remarkable: I damn near fainted walking the three rows up to our seats at the game tonight.

Best,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I'm glad that you agree with my opinion - it's the best hamburger I've eaten in Vancouver since the zenith of the artform at Heron's, and of course the extraordinary naked hamburger, cooked RMR to order at The Vancouver Club in Bar Three.

I put it up to premium ingredients, including the (as you point out) single-source (shoulder only) medium grind, 25% FC, premium cheddar, smoky bacon, 'happy face' tomato slice, whole leaf lettuce (versus shredded iceberg) and a very good bun. The crust on the patty was very good indeed, the savour of the juices (so rare these PC days) unique.

Did you notice that your hamburger was served 'lid on' and warmed? Julian Bond has developed a special low heat 200˚F stainless surface for slowly heating the bun through. That's the level of detail he's going to - chain-wide.

In the interests of top secret research, I gave it that silly 'development' name - the Turbo Whatever. But I also suggested to Julian that a good name (create the brand, right), would be the CCC™ (Certified Cactus Club) Hamburger.

It was impressive to see the traction that he's getting so quickly (just four months in) on the menu. Ditto Michael Noble at Earls; his development menu today - of some 20 items - was nothing short of remarkable: I damn near fainted walking the three rows up to our seats at the game tonight.

Best,

Jamie

Triple C (as opposed to the Triple O). :biggrin:

Whole wheat bun sounds great, do you remember when they didn't use buns long ago, was some kind of bread (it's been so long since, but that still sticks in my mind :huh: )

Haven't been to CC for quite awhile now, but used to frequent it on quite the regular basis. Was getting a bit weary of their menu though, so I must check it out now; are there any new items of Julian's available at all locations yet? I imagine the two establishments are partaking of a head to head combat of sorts, which is a good thing for the customers. How long has Michael been at Earl's? Oh, and how much is the new Triple C going for? Any hints on other menu changes, such as the pasta's and mains? How about the soup, I remember the two choices (B&C and the Chicken) being on there for foooooooorever) :rolleyes: ! Also, I found it interesting, if I heard it correctly on one of the Global features of dining, I believe it was the really interesting one about menu development, IIRC the guy was discussing Saltlik, mentioned owning both some CC & E locations? Any idea who the creative mind is behind MS and how the competition affects them?

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon