• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

Yes, the burger came cut with plastic picks through it to help keep the halves from toppling over. I didn't mind too much, as it was very moist and if I'd been holding the whole burger the whole time, I think the bun would have been really mushy by the time I was finished. Also, it gave me an excuse to pause.

I consider a burger and fries finger food...it doesn't taste quite the same when you cut it up, somehow! and my mouth is certainly big enough to accommodate this baby :hmmm:

I must say, that was a delicious burger! juicy, beefy...I don't much like when you get a burger and it tastes more like a meatloaf. This was tasty beef. And how nice to not have it well done.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I rarely eat burgers because I so often am disappointed - dry, tastless meat and "Cobs-style" buns hardly make it worth the calories or subsequent effort to work it off. The burger at Feenie's, however, changes all that. As others have said this is a burger that tastes like beef and when you taste it you realize what you have been missing elsewhere. The meat was juicy but not fatty or greasy. I still can't get over the great beef taste. I guess that's the Angus-effect? I loved the bun (toasted just right) and add-ins (I didn't have the mushrooms) including the chipolte mayo. (Have I ever told you about the potato salad I make with chipolte mayo?) When the real tomatoes are in season I hope the size and taste of the tomato increases proportionately. At this time of the year there isn' t much you can do about the tomatoes. But like that real-beef flavour, a sweet flavourful tomato in a burger can be a thing of beauty. This time of year the tomatoes are just there - not necessarily adding much flavour. Fries were fine but not so overwhelming that I devoured them. We had the Inniskillin Meritage and it was a good match for the burger.

Great night - and you can be sure we will be back for the burgers. And will walk down to make sure I can finish the whole burger.

Cheers,

Karole

Well, another foray into Burger Club and I was thankful I didn't miss this one.

When my burger arrived I was actually surprised to see that mine was well-done, I was a little dissappointed since I was looking forward to a burger that was pink. I had half of my well-done burger, and it was good, moist not greasy, flavourful, and then Lee (Canuckle) graciously offered to switch halves. His burger was med-rare and it was a little too pink for him. The difference between well done and med rare was like night and day. There was so much more flavour to the med-rare burger that it was almost like I had received something completely different from everyone else. It tasted like beef. It tasted like the burgers my dad used to bring home from the butcher shop. The only topping I noticed was the bacon, and personally, I thought it would be better without it. The fries were great, but I just couldn't eat them. I was just too full.

As for the restaurant itself, I felt that the service was very very rushed and that's a big stike against a place for me. If I still have half a burger on my plate, don't pick up and then ask me if I'm finished, which I wasn't. I know we were a big party, but I just felt like they needed to get us out quickly.

On the whole it was a good meal, but honestly I could have spent the entire evening noshing in Karole's back yard. Thank you for the little gathering beforehand.

I found the burger excellent for it's patty and outstanding bun. I would like more mushroom flavour out of those mushrooms but that's being picky and personal. I can't help but wonder what place will follow next and how tough a competition it has. Too bad no one got the foie gras version just to see how it was! I was disappointed in the fries. My first and only Feenie burger was over a year ago and I remember leaving absolutely in love with the fries. Not only were they cooked to perfection they tasted like they were cooked in duck fat and had loads of flavor. The ones at the club meeting were bland and 'dry' for lack of a better word.

It was a great night and I can only hope I'm in town when the next burger or other egullet event happens!

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies, Burger fans, for the unannounced hiatus.

Continuing with the theme of upscale burgers in Kitsilano, our next Burger Club gathering will be at the newly re-opened Moderne Burger on August 28th. Unless there are strong objections, the 6:30pm start time seemed to work well so we'll keep it there.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Welcome to eGullet Silvermink!

My vote for best burger goes to Moderne. I haven't been there since they've reopened, which I should probably rectify...

Sounds like a good reason to come to a Burger Club meeting ...

Myself ... I'll be on Mayne Island, drinking and kayaking. :cool:

A.

Due to the visit of a couple of teenage nephews, we have recently had burgers at various places, including, Feenies, Vera's, Red Onion and Moderne.

Feenies undercooks their burgers (see photos above) and they taste too "mushy" for my taste. And do we really need the fries in that contraption from the Love Shop?

A good burger should be charcoal fired - and texture here is critical. The ground sirloin should crumble in your mouth (like kernals of corn) - and not dissolve in your mouth (like apple sauce).

Well that's my view.

The Red Onion? Well it's all just too greasy. You want to have an enema and a shower (in that order) when you leave the place.

Vera's? We like it. But we don't like it quite as much as The Moderne. The '50's ambience at The Moderne is undoubtedly a factor. So is the fact that parking is easy. The whole "gestalt" of The Moderne experience is just slightly superior to that of Vera's.

That's the unanimous review of two well seasoned adults and two teenage burger connoisseurs. I apologize if this is repetive - but I did not have time to go through this entire thread.

My apologies, Burger fans, for the unannounced hiatus.

Continuing with the theme of upscale burgers in Kitsilano, our next Burger Club gathering will be at the newly re-opened Moderne Burger on August 28th.  Unless there are strong objections, the 6:30pm start time seemed to work well so we'll keep it there.

Hi, just moved back to Vancouver after too many years away. Can anyone attend a Burger Club event? Sounds very tasty.

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Hi, just moved back to Vancouver after too many years away. Can anyone attend a Burger Club event?

T

With a cool name like Pez??? Sure!!

You are most welcome to any Burger Club Event. Just PM Vancouver Lee to let him know you'll be attending (saying so in forum works too, but PM-ing means VL will see it for sure) and then show up at the time and place set up for the meeting.

Welcome to eGullet! And welcome back to the Wet Coast.

A.

Hi guys,

Haven't been on the site in a while; lovely summer

weather does that to you....

Just had to report, though, a coupla burgers I had

recently that were superb. First, the bar and grill at

the Bayshore (I think it's called Marina Bar & Grill).

Second, Jericho Sailing Centre (Captain's something?).

Absurd, really, that I can't specifically remember their

names, since I'm at both often. Anyhoo, I can easily

categorize them the same: thick, juicy Angus beef, despite

being well-done (which I prefer; don't fancy dying from

e-coli...). Patty was same size, if not bigger, as the bun,

which, at Jericho (can't recall Bayshore) was whole-grain.

Jericho's was a cheese burger with REAL CHEDDAR. Fries at

both were so-so. Views at both were nothing short of spectacular,

although you pay nearly double the price at Bayshore for the

privvy.

Any time you guys wanna organ-cize a club at Jericho, I'm in!

Just stay away during weekends if you don't handle crowds well.

• 2 weeks later...
The '50's ambience at The Moderne is undoubtedly a factor. So is the fact that parking is easy. The whole "gestalt" of The Moderne experience is just slightly superior to that of Vera's.

I went to Moderne Burger last week and was very impressed. The meat was delicous, lean, but still with plenty of juice. It comes unseasoned but has plenty of flavor . Burgers are served cooked through - and no option of med-rare.

Fresh cut fries round out platter - and they are delicous, pale gold and crispy. Peter (the owner) tells me that the fried are cut when ordered and then fried in olive oil (which is changed daily)! I assume that it is not evoo - but the fries are great - no oily taste at all.

The burger platter is HUGE - and at $8.95, an excellent deal. Left feeling really full but not that grossed out feeling that you can get if the from a large burger meal. Not a light meal, of course, but you can tell that the burger meat is top notch and much leaner then the usual fast food fare.

It seems that Moderne is going to be closed this weekend, so Burger Club will have to choose a different location.

My suggestion would be the burgers at the Jerico Sailing Club that Feedbag spoke about earlier, but this isn't a dictatorship - any other suggestions?

....don't all shout out at once....

In absence of any opinions to the contrary, Burger Club this month will be at the Jericho Sailing Club. Starting time is 6:30pm tomorrow night (i.e. this Sunday).

Since it's supposed to rain, can anyone tell me if there is indoor seating?

www.leecarney.com

There is indoor seating, Lee; however, it's nothing glam. Rather cafeteria-ish.

Bear in mind that the forecast is for rain on Sunday. If you luck out with the weather, though, the deck isn't remarkably expansive and burgers on the beach might be in order barring the absence of deck seating. Not a bad option when you think about it.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Obviously! it's the kid-friendly event :smile: Junior Mouse and Vancouver Lee Jr. have both attended meetings.

I am juggling my dollars till payday, but if you and all the other Wyles will be attending, I might reconsider my priorities. What I really want to know is why Moderne is closed, they've been on my list for quite a while :hmmm:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Gak!!! A venue I indirectly recommended and I didn't even

know about the event!! I've been off the site for a while and

completely missed this. Bummer, man.

If I recall, last weekend was dreary, which would definitely

adversely affect the total Jericho experience. That deck

is the best for city views -- on a clear day. Bleak? Not so much.

Since there's been no posting about the experience, good or bad,

it musta beena wash?

Sorry I missed it anyway...

Pretty good, although marred for some by the whole wheaty nature and general additional fiberosity of the buns. The onion rings were nice and battered, and the fries were of the slender variety, pretty good.

The burger, with fried onions, and fries, very juicy:

P8280011.jpg

The onion rings:

P8280012.jpg

They were kind and brought out our food, and didn't complain one bit when we commandeered half of the tables in the room to seat our multi-generational party. It really is all about the view, though--I jumped up twice to grab light and photo ops.

The sun comes through the clouds and lights up the city:

P8280020.jpg

The sunset:

P8280030.jpg

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty good, although marred for some by the whole wheaty nature and general additional fiberosity of the buns. The onion rings were nice and battered, and the fries were of the slender variety, pretty good.

I will attest that these burgers taste better after a day in the Dinghy's :) However I wouldn't rate them that highly. I used to eat a lot at Red Onion but I'm afraid they've gone downhill since my younger days.

Moderne burger is pretty decent. I still havn't found a place that blew me away. The Foie Gras Burger at Feenie's was interesting but still not what I would call a mind blowing burger (side note, the shepherds pie there IS mind blowing).

Honerable Mention : Little Billie's Hideaway in Burnaby at the base of burnaby mountain. Burgers are juicy and messy, fries are awesome!

Oct 16 hey? I'll see if I have room in the calendar for that excursion hee hee.

Wes

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I'd suggest staying away from Little Billy's. Unless you like frozen pre-fabricated burgers. The fries are good, but trust me the burgers are of a low calibre.

My recommendation is Stormin Norman's Wild Meat grill on Commercial. You can get everything from organic beef, mixed wild game, deer, caribou, and my personal favorite, Wild Artic Muskox burgers. These burgers are not for the tame, as they pack a meaty taste unlike any other.

The Fries, Salads, and Pop are no good. But the burgers rock. Here is my recommendation. WARNING: Muskox maybe too much to handle for you, perhaps a buffalo burger to start.

1. Double Muskox burger cooked Medium Rare.

2. Triple Cheese. All cheese is to be stacked in one pile and put on the burger with only mild amounts of melting. This way you get that delicious greasey cheese flavour.

3. Corn Relish

4. Tabasco, and hot peppers.

5. Tonnes of Ketchup

Cheers.

Authenticity is all that matters.

I'd suggest staying away from Little Billy's. Unless you like frozen pre-fabricated burgers. The fries are good, but trust me the burgers are of a low calibre.

My recommendation is Stormin Norman's Wild Meat grill on Commercial. You can get everything from organic beef, mixed wild game, deer, caribou, and my personal favorite, Wild Artic Muskox burgers. These burgers are not for the tame, as they pack a meaty taste unlike any other.

The Fries, Salads, and Pop are no good. But the burgers rock. Here is my recommendation. WARNING: Muskox maybe too much to handle for you, perhaps a buffalo burger to start.

1. Double Muskox burger cooked Medium Rare.

2. Triple Cheese. All cheese is to be stacked in one pile and put on the burger with only mild amounts of melting. This way you get that delicious greasey cheese flavour.

3. Corn Relish

4. Tabasco, and hot peppers.

5. Tonnes of Ketchup

Cheers.

My dear Thoughtbox, that was one helluva first post! Bravo.

Any place with "Stormin" and "Wild Meat" in the name has to be good. And warning me that Muskox may be too much to handle is, well....

I may just head over there tonight!

www.leecarney.com