• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

^I've never eaten at the Fairmont at the airport, but Foodie in Vancouver was telling me that the lounge there is very nice. Do the burgers there come with fries, and are they good? (Or better yet--can you get your burger with onion rings?)

So, here's the updated list of suggestions:

-The Red Onion

-Vera's

-Hamburger Mary's

-The Fairmont (at the airport)

-Brown's (in N. Vancouver)

Has anyone had the burgers at Joe's Grill? I like the food there, but haven't yet tried their burger.

edit: I was scrolling through this thread and noticed that we had considered going to Harlow's at one point. They're located at 18th and Cambie. I wonder if it's still there?

Edited by Ling (log)

Harlo's is on Cambie, but closer to 18th, not 41st. I went there when it first opened, but can't remember if it was good or not. Someone said they liked it, but didn't like the bun b/c he believes a hamburger bun should be neutral and not have any herbs in it. Perhaps you can request herbless buns if you so desire.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts so I'm kind of out of the loop on this burger club, but if you go when I'm not working I'd love to participate.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Never been to Moderne Burger but was it nixed for any particular reason? Was it just not mentioned or is it not worth considering even?

Mike

We went to Moderne for the 1st Burger Club outing. I didn't know if people wanted to go there again. It would be fine with me if we did though, since I haven't been back since Burger Club and their burgers were quite good.

There's also a place in Surrey called Rodeo Drive In which makes really good burgers. I haven't been in a couple of years but their burgers were always very tasty. It might be kind of far for some people though as it's at the corner of Highway 10 and 152nd. Has anyone been recently and can comment?

For convenience (at least for me), I like Harvey's burgers. All the Lower Mainland locations are attached to Home Depots. I seem to spend a lot of time at Home Depots and if it's anywhere near lunch time, I'll usually grab a burger and fries. Sure it's not handmade or anything, but when you're hungry, you got to eat now!

I don't think anyone's mentioned the hamburger they serve at the Roxy on Granville Mall. I don't think it's the actual club but it's next door where you can order lunch. I've never been there but I was watching the local cable station and they did a taste comparison against Vera's so it's in the same category. They didn't say that one burger was better than the other so you'll have to let your own taste buds decide.

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

^I've never eaten at the Fairmont at the airport, but Foodie in Vancouver was telling me that the lounge there is very nice. Do the burgers there come with fries, and are they good? (Or better yet--can you get your burger with onion rings?)

Yes, it comes with fries that IIRC seem to be frozen, out-of-the-bag Sysco fries. :sad: I don't know if you can get onion rings or not.

edit: I was scrolling through this thread and noticed that we had considered going to Harlow's at one point. They're located at 18th and Cambie. I wonder if it's still there?

Definately still there. We live nearby and tried their burgers last summer. Stale bun and my recollection was that the burger was overcooked and tasted like a pre-made frozen grocery store burger. That being said, I'm willing to give it another shot if the rest of the Burger Club wants to go.

And I'd vote for adding Moderne to the list, as I wasn't around when the first Burger Club met. Good suggestion to visit them last......

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

There's also a place in Surrey called Rodeo Drive In which makes really good burgers.  I haven't been in a couple of years but their burgers were always very tasty.  It might be kind of far for some people though as it's at the corner of Highway 10 and 152nd.  Has anyone been recently and can comment?

I've passed that place a hundred times but never stopped. It's always scared me a bit - looks like a biker hangout. :unsure: Maybe I'll try it sometime during daylight hours, or when I'm with my posse.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

There's also a place in Surrey called Rodeo Drive In which makes really good burgers.  I haven't been in a couple of years but their burgers were always very tasty.  It might be kind of far for some people though as it's at the corner of Highway 10 and 152nd.  Has anyone been recently and can comment?

I've passed that place a hundred times but never stopped. It's always scared me a bit - looks like a biker hangout. :unsure: Maybe I'll try it sometime during daylight hours, or when I'm with my posse.

Yes Jeff, we're certainly the posse you want with you at a biker joint :hmmm::huh:

I was there last year. Great burgers. Sorry, no details except to say don't use the restrooms :laugh:.

Someone also mentioned Hamburger Marys. I've been dissapointed the 2 times that I've been there. I found the burgers to be pretty tasteless.

Derek

Have the burgers at Save-on-meats on E Hastings been considered recently? When I went - a few years ago - it was basically the cook reaching into his refrigerator and forming a patty with fresh ground chuck (or something). It was really good in the unfussed sort of way.

But obviously the environs leave much to be desired. Though I did go onto the Costal Health Website and they got a clean bill of health. I actually tried to "dig the dirt" on some of my favorite place but everybody is basically really clean. Darn.

Have the burgers at Save-on-meats on E Hastings been considered recently?  When I went - a few years ago - it was basically the cook reaching into his refrigerator and forming a patty with fresh ground chuck (or something).  It was really good in the unfussed sort of way.

But obviously the environs leave much to be desired.  Though I did go onto the Costal Health Website and they got a clean bill of health.  I actually tried to "dig the dirt" on some of my favorite place but everybody is basically really clean.  Darn.

Funny you should bring Save On Meats up (so to speak :laugh: ). We had a thread going about that store recently. CLICK HERE

I think a posse of eGulleters could brave the environs of that neighbouhood. :rolleyes:

A.

Maybe I'll try it sometime during daylight hours, or when I'm with my posse.

Yes Jeff, we're certainly the posse you want with you at a biker joint :hmmm:  :huh:

I think a posse of eGulleters could brave the environs of that neighbouhood. :rolleyes:

That'd be Da Jeffy Boyz 'n Gurlz In Da Hood. Word to ya' mutha. :cool:

Do they make leather chef's whites?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Actually we ate at Harlow's about two weeks ago and it was a really good burger experience. I find their meat patties a little dense for my liking but the burger as a whole was very good. Certainly on par with the buger I had at the Club outing to Feenies and without the frenetic activity and deflated expectations.

I just came back from lunch at Feenie's. Of course I had to have the burger! It was OK - not bad, not great, just OK. They didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked, and delivered it medium rare. Am I just being picky to expect the burger done to my taste at a place like Feenie's? Good sesame seed bun, nice and fresh and properly sized to match the patty. The meat had a touch too much onion for my taste, but was otherwise OK.

Tete Carre, glad to hear your experience at Harlow's was better than mine. I live a few blocks away from them, so I'd be very happy to see your experience being the norm for this restaurant.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I just came back from lunch at Feenie's.  Of course I had to have the burger!  It was OK - not bad, not great, just OK.  They didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked, and delivered it medium rare.  Am I just being picky to expect the burger done to my taste at a place like Feenie's?

Isn't there some kind of law in Canada about cooking burgers, in order to prevent E. Coli problems - like you can't even ask for one medium rare, they can only cook it well done? (I tried searching to confirm this, but couldn't find anything).

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I just came back from lunch at Feenie's.  Of course I had to have the burger!  It was OK - not bad, not great, just OK.  They didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked, and delivered it medium rare.  Am I just being picky to expect the burger done to my taste at a place like Feenie's?

Isn't there some kind of law in Canada about cooking burgers, in order to prevent E. Coli problems - like you can't even ask for one medium rare, they can only cook it well done? (I tried searching to confirm this, but couldn't find anything).

Not that I know of. I've ordered medium burgers in Toronto and it hasn't been a problem.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There might be a law in Canada about it(vaguely remember hearing about it), but how are they going to enforce it? I ordered my burger medium-rare today(in Montreal), & got a medium-rare burger(burger places usually overcook my burgers).

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

To Explain: In line with other similar threads on other forums, I have pruned posts from this thread that dealt purely with the organisation of historical meetings (and indeed those that were cancelled.) One of the aims of the events policy is to focus postings on eGullet on food and drink related matters. I hope you will agree that the slimmed down thread is now easier to read and that it is easier to find relevant information about burgers in Vancouver that you may be looking for.

Future events can be organised on the forum, but a similar pruning process will take place once details of the event have been finalised. You are of course free to plan the event via the PM system or e mail if you think it might be more expedient.

In order to ensure this thread stays on topic, if you have any comments, please contact me via PM. Thanks.

Burger away!