• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

Now, I'm not normally one to rush out and eat burgers but the thought that consuming said burger could be construed as a seditious act is starting to make the proposition look extremely attractive. Clandestine burgers- I'm in. Whoops. Can't say that, can I?

Seriously folks, after reading what I could stomach of the new rules and then everyone's responses, I must say I feel like there's been a death in the family.

Let's hope Arne can figure out what to do - all hope rests with him.

Cheers,

Karole

Cheese! optional cheese! please!

Joie, you can't make me giggle like that at work! :angry: stop!!

Neil, do you have any spots left for your DOV lunchorama? That burger is making me drool!

Have no fear, Deborah. Where there are burgers, there must also be cheese. :biggrin:

I'm with you re the HSG burgers - don't they sound awesome???? :wub:

Oh, I'll PM you! maybe we can have a hypothetical DOV burger lunch?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

so, hypothetically, where shall we pretend to meet and at what ficticious time will the non-event never take place?  :shock:

andrew

Dare I suggest that we wait until after Dine-Out when there's a little less echo in the pocketbooks?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I also agree that after DOV is a much better time. Are we going to stick with the original parameters or should we broaden our horizons a bit. Maybe a bison burger here or there, turkey, salmon, etc.....There are only so many burger joints in vancouver....

****have migraine....typing very bad....not making sense :wacko: just ignore my weird typos****

Edited by peppyre (log)

After for me too. I am actually loosing wieght and want that to continue. Actually Neils idea sounds good, can we meet there for lunch? Arne, we have policy? Who knew?

My vote would be for a venue other than the Hammie. No offense Neil... you know that I see you probably once every week to week-and-a-half for food. :rolleyes:

Are we going to stick with the original parameters or should we broaden our horizons a bit.  Maybe a bison burger here or there, turkey, salmon, etc.....There are only so many burger joints in vancouver....

I'd say focus on beef first, with other types of burgers brought in by consensus after we've exhausted our burger joint options. After all, we need to be order the same burger in order to evaluate them fairly and my waistband won't accommodate two restaurant burgers in one sitting.

Toppings? I vote for cheese too, unless there are lactose-intolerant burgerites among us.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

It sounds to me like we have general agreement to wait until after DOV (not to mention waiting till the dust settles regarding the "legality" of actually meeting off-line :rolleyes: ). Lack of money and an excess of weight are both problems I can sympathize with. Exception happily made for burgers at HSG with you, Deborah. Hypothetically, of course. Oh, and FIV, I'm with you - if meeting becomes illegal, the burger will be that much more delicious.

Arne, love the avatar. Thanks for the laugh - it was much needed after wading through that Policy thread.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Exception happily made for burgers at HSG with you, Deborah.  Hypothetically, of course. 

K...I was trying to look at the HSG website but got a 404...will try again later when I can take a look at my calendar etc.

Clandestine burgers...ye gods. Next I shall sit with my back to the room and wear a veil.

Agenda-free since 1966.

After for me too. I am actually loosing wieght and want that to continue. Actually Neils idea sounds good, can we meet there for lunch? Arne, we have policy? Who knew?

My vote would be for a venue other than the Hammie. No offense Neil... you know that I see you probably once every week to week-and-a-half for food. :rolleyes:

Are we going to stick with the original parameters or should we broaden our horizons a bit.  Maybe a bison burger here or there, turkey, salmon, etc.....There are only so many burger joints in vancouver....

I'd say focus on beef first, with other types of burgers brought in by consensus after we've exhausted our burger joint options. After all, we need to be order the same burger in order to evaluate them fairly and my waistband won't accommodate two restaurant burgers in one sitting.

Toppings? I vote for cheese too, unless there are lactose-intolerant burgerites among us.

None taken. I would like a professional burger eater to give my burger a rating. Perhaps Mr. Cooper - I would be kind to his waistline though - I would not cook the onions in duckfat or marinate his burger in bacon just to get extra marks !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Exception happily made for burgers at HSG with you, Deborah.  Hypothetically, of course. 

K...I was trying to look at the HSG website but got a 404...will try again later when I can take a look at my calendar etc.

Clandestine burgers...ye gods. Next I shall sit with my back to the room and wear a veil.

Try www.diningoutguide.com

I have my own website and I host it myself but am experiencing some problems. Perhaps if I spent more time trying to fix that than playing on egullet I could get a few more things done - Ok, there , my addiction exposed again

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Try www.diningoutguide.com

I have my own website and I host it myself but am experiencing some problems. Perhaps if I spent more time trying to fix that than playing on egullet I could get a few more things done - Ok, there , my addiction exposed again

I was looking for the lunch menu, which I thought you had posted on your page...but what more do we need to know than your description! and I doubt I could manage pudding on top of that burger!!

:biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Wow, that was alot of reading since this morning :sad::angry::blink: , on one thread alone (okay, 2 threads).

Neil, I'm so there for your lamb burger!! Definately my favourite meat for a burger. I'll be by for lunch during DOV. I'll look for you.

Derek

I grew up in Edmonton, The burger palace; if White spot is the best burger Vancouver can produce, you are in serious trouble, Licks in Toronto is better then anything Vancouver can produce.

Peters in Calgary is better then anything Toronto can produce

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I grew up in Edmonton, The burger palace; if White spot is the best burger Vancouver can produce, you are in serious trouble, Licks in Toronto is better then anything Vancouver can produce.

Peters in Calgary is better then anything Toronto can produce

steve

I've never been a fan of the seasonings they use in a Licks burger, and I've found the quality is a bit hit-and-miss depending on the location. You sometimes get Beavis and Butthead cooking and the burger suffers.

WRT White Spot, I couldn't agree more. I visited White Spot when I first started coming to Vancouver on business 6-7 years ago, then tried it again when we arrived here last summer. Most disappointing.

On the subject of White Spot, what's with the sauce thing (can't rememebr what they call their "secret sauce")? Why make such a big deal about it? There must be a story behind that - can anyone enlighten me?

Edited to add:

Stovetop, where is Peters Drive Inn in Calgary? I'm visiting there next week and would like to give them a try.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

www.leecarney.com

On the subject of White Spot, what's with the sauce thing (can't rememebr what they call their "secret sauce")?  Why make such a big deal about it?  There must be a story behind that - can anyone enlighten me?

The history behind White Spot Triple-O sauce.

http://www.whitespot.ca/history/ws-ty.html

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

Peters' Drive-in

(Restaurants - Lunch)

219 16th Ave NE, Calgary  T2E 1J9 • 403-277-2747

Description: This unassuming place is legendary with Calgarians in the know, and it's so popular that lines to the drive-through are constantly packed. Burgers and milkshakes are the main draw. Everything is made fresh daily, and the portions are more than substantial. Hot, crisp fries and onion rings make the perfect accompaniment; you know they haven't just come out of the freezer by their texture and flavor. Of course, the food isn't the height of healthful cooking, but it's not often you find offerings this authentic. Toss caution to the wind and enjoy drive-in food like it used to be made. There's always time for dieting later.

When I grew up in Edmonton back in the seventies and early eighties Peters always was on top, 30 years later it still is on top, I have not been there for twenty years so I can not say what it is like today, but a search proved it is still Calgary's FAV.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Thanks for looking that up for, Steve. I really should have Googled that myself.

I'll post my comments when I'm back from Calgary and let you know how it's holding up today.

Peters' Drive-in

(Restaurants - Lunch)

219 16th Ave NE, Calgary  T2E 1J9 • 403-277-2747

Description: This unassuming place is legendary with Calgarians in the know, and it's so popular that lines to the drive-through are constantly packed. Burgers and milkshakes are the main draw. Everything is made fresh daily, and the portions are more than substantial. Hot, crisp fries and onion rings make the perfect accompaniment; you know they haven't just come out of the freezer by their texture and flavor. Of course, the food isn't the height of healthful cooking, but it's not often you find offerings this authentic. Toss caution to the wind and enjoy drive-in food like it used to be made. There's always time for dieting later.

When I grew up in Edmonton back in the seventies and early eighties Peters always was on top, 30 years later it still is on top, I have not been there for twenty years so I can not say what it is like today, but a search proved it is still Calgary's FAV.

steve

www.leecarney.com

As I sit here, sleepless at 1:30am with a raging cold and a pounding headache, what pops into my head but a place for burgers that I don't recall being mentioned in this thread. Proof positive that Sudafed and herbal tea do strange things to the brain. :laugh:

The Fairmont at the Vancouver Airport makes a great portobello mushroom burger. They serve it on a square bun which they, regretably, butter on top and bottom but is quite tasty. The 'shrooms are excellent and the patty is prety good, too. Definately worth adding to the Burger Club circuit, IMHO.

Back to my kleenex box now. Goodnight all!

www.leecarney.com