• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

I'm in, too... in the last 3 weeks I've done burgers at Feenie's (2x) and Fresgo (2x - I live two blocks away so I have a feeling there will be more - also they have the best fries I've had in a long time) and was impressed with both. Feenies goes the quality route, very good meat, and Fresgo is, well, big.

I notice Feenie's didn't get a great review on the last WCBC visit, so either they've changed or my taste differs...

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I'm in, too... in the last 3 weeks I've done burgers at Feenie's (2x) and Fresgo (2x - I live two blocks away so I have a feeling there will be more - also they have the best fries I've had in a long time) and was impressed with both.  Feenies goes the quality route, very good meat, and Fresgo is, well, big.

I notice Feenie's didn't get a great review on the last WCBC visit, so either they've changed or my taste differs...

OK, so it seems like there is enough interest to make a Burger Club revivial feasible. Daddy-A, what's the ettiquette on handling logistics for this? i.e. am I stepping on toes if I do it?

Another question for the group: since I'm a noob here, the only burger place I've been too is Vera's (and that was yesterday). Pretty much anywhere we go will be the first time for me, but probably not for anyone else. Any suggestions as to the first place we go? My vote is for the place in the Greece suggested by Winegeek, :cool: but barring that I'd vote for Moderne. OTOH, if that's a re-run for most people then I'm happy to go somewhere else.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I think Mr. Maw would join us if we include La Tache Blanche in our list. (for comparison purposes only perhaps) :biggrin:

We can make up some scorecards or something to tally up the results as I'm sure not everyone can or would want to visit each location that is selected.

Just a suggestion...

I'm in for either Browns (trying a new restaurant is always good) or The Red Onion (reminiscent of UBC days).

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My waistline is saying NO>>NO>>>NO! But my taste buds are saying ..HELL YEAH!!

I'm going to be doing a lot of hiking this summer to work off this site :biggrin: hanger steak, gingerbread pudding, kolachies, duck fat.....on and on the list goes....

i'd love to come. when? :unsure: any consideration of browns is wise. they make a lovely burger, one of the best in town. i know the owner pretty well and i'm sure he'd love to have us come. any help you need organising, let me know.

andrew

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Ok, I have enough of you guys knocking on my door asking for gingerbread but I will toss my hat in the ring for burger club. Can someone refresh me on the rules ?

I have a kick ass lamb buger with yam fries but I am not sure if anything other than beef counts.

I also have a hand made Certified Angus Beef burger. I buy the ground beef and then add my hand ground steak trim to it - ( when you sell as many steaks as we do, you get lots of trim ) - we add seasoning etc.

What toppings are allowed ? I have made a $15 Dine Out Vancouver Lunch menu and the Beef Burger is on it with sauteed onions, aged cheddar and crisp bacon. Does this fit the bill ? Please advise.

Will Burger Club be a road trip ? Do we need a bus ? Sounds like fun !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I have a kick ass lamb buger with yam fries but I am not sure if anything other than beef counts.

I also have a hand made Certified Angus Beef burger. I buy the ground beef and then add my hand ground steak trim to it - ( when you sell as many steaks as we do, you get lots of trim ) - we add seasoning etc.

What toppings are allowed ? I have made a $15 Dine Out Vancouver Lunch menu and the Beef Burger is on it with sauteed onions, aged cheddar and crisp bacon. Does this fit the bill ? Please advise.

Will Burger Club be a road trip ? Do we need a bus ? Sounds like fun !

My carnivore antenna just notified me of your thread Chef. Will have to resist the other meat offerings and go for the lamb as well as the CAB burger next time I'm in.

As for the Burger Club outing, if it's in the next little while, you'll have to hitch your gondola on to our ark as Hamilton Street is too narrow. :wink:

For now, let's just keep the discussion focussed on burgers, and where our favorites are (i.e. places we'd like to add to the Burger Club list). As you may know, there has been a change in the eGullet policy regarding "events." I am currently trying to wade through all the legal-speak and figure out exactly what it means to us.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't discuss the new policy in the Vancouver forum!

Hold tight ... I'll have something soon.

A.

Ah yes. The Rules. Capitalized, to be certain, for us plebians.

According to Andy Lynes, I believe that Burger Club falls within The Rules as it is "food specific". Of course, we will perform a post-modern deconstructionist analysis of the burgers and post our findings' thesis at end of said event. Coop has scorecards. That certainly legitimizes our proposed outing.

Coop and Ling will have to refresh our collective memory on which toppings are and aren't allowed. But I do recall that the meat patty itself must be beef.

Burger on!

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

For now, let's just keep the discussion focussed on burgers, and where our favorites are (i.e. places we'd like to add to the Burger Club list).  As you may know, there has been a change in the eGullet policy regarding "events."  I am currently trying to wade through all the legal-speak and figure out exactly what it means to us.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't discuss the new policy in the Vancouver forum!

Hold tight ... I'll have something soon.

A.

OK, then. We'll wait until you let us know the rules to plan anything.

Anything wrong with planning a "hypothetical" Burger Club outing? :biggrin:

www.leecarney.com

I remember that add-ons such as bacon and cheese weren't allowed, because we were basically judging the meat and bun. The thought was that it wouldn't be really fair if we ate a burger with a pile of tasty fixin's, if the same toppings weren't available at another restaurant. I wouldn't mind if we made the rules more flexible, though.

I remember that add-ons such as bacon and cheese weren't allowed, because we were basically judging the meat and bun. The thought was that it wouldn't be really fair if we ate a burger with a pile of tasty fixin's, if the same toppings weren't available at another restaurant. I wouldn't mind if we made the rules more flexible, though.

Hypothetically, if some of the nice people I know were to coincidentally all met up at, say, a burger place, I would also be inclined to embrace the addition of such burgerish-delights as cheese, bacon, mushrooms, etc.

Hypothetically, of course.

www.leecarney.com

Holy Crap - my head really hurts now ! I just read the rules ! Please, please, please , no discussion about that.

I am dreaming of chomping down on a big, juicy, anonymous cyber burger alone in my office which is really dry storage in the restaurant.

:blink:

OMG, I only made it about half way through before I had to stop. Holy crap indeed.

Eatin' burgers with The Man. :rolleyes:

www.leecarney.com

Cheese! optional cheese! please!

Joie, you can't make me giggle like that at work! :angry: stop!!

Neil, do you have any spots left for your DOV lunchorama? That burger is making me drool!

Have no fear, Deborah. Where there are burgers, there must also be cheese. :biggrin:

I'm with you re the HSG burgers - don't they sound awesome???? :wub:

www.leecarney.com

Now, now. Neil. Lee. Let us not deviate from the all-encompassing food-first Rules that govern our online forum. Any and all talk of virtual cyber burgers must be disseminated in the manner outlined below. In triplicate. Please. (insert "tsk, tsk" emoticon here)

MODERNE BURGER

2507 W. Broadway

Date: Wednesday, October 29th, 2003

The average time it took for the burger to arrive after ordering: 15 minutes

Most of the burgers arrived medium-well/well-done.

Toppings include:

-sliced red onion

-sliced tomato (I had 3 on my burger)

-romaine lettuce

-mayo

-black olive (skewered onto the bun)

-special sauce

-some ordered burgers with cheese, some didn't

Bun: toasted portuguese roll

Burger diameter: about 5 inches

Burger height: about 4 and a half inches

Here are the tabulations:

BURGER

Juiciness 3.6

Freshness 4.3

Texture 4.1

Saltiness 2.6

Quality 4.7

Doneness 3.9

Browning 4.2

Molding 3.9

Greasiness 3.3

Temperature 3.1

BUN

Toastiness 3.9

Freshness 4.3

Quality 4.1

Seediness 0.3 (everyone rated the bun a "0" for seediness as it had no seeds, but one member rated it a 3)

TOPPINGS

Quality 3.8

Quantity 3.7

MISC.

Aroma 3.6

Sloppiness 3.3

Appearance 3.9

Value 3.4

AVERAGE SCORE 72.6

Joie Alvaro Kent