• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

Thanks for the tip, Frog Princess. What do you think of Dick's Drive-in burgers, by the way? We sampled these recently and thought they were pretty good. I understand it's a Seattle institution. The milkshake was delicious, too.

I'm in. The next weekend I'm in Seattle, so .......

While you're in Seattle check out Kidd Valley. It's a fast food restaurant but the burgers are might tasty.

http://www.kiddvalley.net/

I've only eaten at Jack-in-the-Box and Fatburger in Seattle. I think both chains are better than what we have up here. :smile: What do the locals think of these two chains?

I likely won't be able to make it to the next gathering as I'm going to be out of town for a couple of weeks (will probably have many hangovers). Would love to catch up with everyone next time though.

BTW, does anyone know if the Tomahawk has good burgers? I seem to recall at one point their burgers were quite popular. I had one many years ago, but I don't remember what it was like. I was probably hungover. :raz:

Hooray for the reschedule! :biggrin: Count Mr Sasskitty and I in if we can make it!

We went for dinner at Cardero's the other night, and I was craving a burger...and might I say it was quite good. Not as rare as I would like, but nicely seasoned and a great bun-a lightly seasoned ciabatta bun. And their fries are good (but no fry dip...mmmm..fry dip. Ling-the Red Onion dip is a dilly yogurty sour cream dip...mmmm...dip)

Cheers :smile:

• 1 month later...

i went to the red onion last week, and found the experience disappointing.

The place is nice, the service very friendly in this family-oriented burger joint.

But the burger was small, dry, the bread not toasted, fries: so-so, and i ended up with a 20$ bill for a cheeseburger, small fries, a coke and a sundae.

It's not worth a visit.

Yaletown brewing co. has a way better burger. And Moderne is still a reference.

Has anyone been to the Splitz grill in Whistler ? So far, the best burger i've had in BC.

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

• 4 weeks later...

So the evening at Feenie's did happen on Friday night. It was attended by Redhaead, Tete Carre, Coop and their dates. I will be providing average scoring soon when all the votes are in. I found the company very enjoyable, the room over populated and the burger very dissapointing. More at 11:00.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I concur. Liked the room, really enjoyed the conversations (they weren't ALL about food. Much to our mutual amazement, it turns out Coop and I went to the same high school!) and found the burger did not live up to expectations. I think we should give Vera's Burgers a try one day.... although there was some talk of a -- gasp! -- NON-burger egullet outing to delve into the delights of Thai food or some other worthy cuisine.

note to Coop: my burger evaluation form will be sent soon!

• 4 weeks later...

If there are any West End/Downtown burger fans out there, you'll be happy to hear that there's a Vera's opening at 1030 Davie St. (between Burrard & Thurlow). Not sure exactly when they're expected to open as their "Grand Opening"ads neglected to put in the date and when I walked by this morning, it didn't look finished yet.

Speaking of burgers, aren't we due for another get together?

I work really close to Vera's Burger Shack (at Marquis Wine Cellars) and the best guess is they will open Wednesday. It looks good inside, draft beer and a big garage door that opens to the street. This is great news for Davie Street however it will be dangerous for me as I'm so close.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

• 4 weeks later...

Spending money always seems to give me an appetite. Just last week a minor :unsure: spending spree at Sigges Sports villa left me with a 'just skiied 12K' kind of appetite. It being lunch time I headed over to The Ordinary Cafe, a favorite spot of mine.

Perusing the menu I noticed a very respectable sounding burger with some very nice sounding options. Pricing? $8 to $9. Place? Unpretentious (sorry Feenies!) but highly capable. I opted for the steak because I just didn't feel like having carbs get in the way of my protein that day!

So....with the new Vera's Burger Shack and The Ordinary Cafe as additional candidate dare we get a burger club outing organized?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi... I'm new here... but a real burger lover, so this HAD to be my first post!

:cool:

Vera's is pretty good...

Heard Moderne Burger is good, but haven't had a chance to try yet...

Has anybody here tried Harlow's on Cambie? Not bad either...

But despite all these gourmet burgers, I still have a soft spot (ie. my belly) for the White Spot Monty Mushroom burger... mmmMMMmmmMMMmmm...

:biggrin:

Harlows is very tasty and so is Veras despite, the comments on being dry .. so many burgers so little time ;)

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

• 8 months later...

Hello - Lurking from Seattle, but had to add my vote for Moderne Burger. While I also noted that they don't ask you how you'd like your burger done, and that there could be a little more seasoning on the patty, I loved the experience anyway. The owner and has staff couldn't be nicer, or more thorough in their efforts to please - and that tops all for me. The fries were generous and tasty (although I did like the fries at Feenie's better) and I thought the burger was great. Certainly better than Dick's, or Kidd Valley, or Burgerville, for that matter. I liked the fact that the meat was lean, as I didn't get that nasty, greasy feeling I usually get from eating burger and fries. And the shakes! Chocolate covered cherry was awesome! So until a better burger is found, Moderne has my vote for the best consummate burger experience. I sure am glad I don't have one here in Seattle - I'd be eating burgers way too often if that were the case.

Mmmmmm, burgers!

I truly haven't the patience to wade throught the twelve pages of this thread, but my favourite burgers are all out of town, and so may not have been mentioned: The little cafe across from the Petro-Canada in Clinton, BC (north of Lillooet, on the way to...Jasper or Whitehorse or what have you, and once I went up there on a day-trip with a date (in a twin-turbo Stealth) just for the burger and turned around and came home. But I'm weird: about burgers and about driving. It's a very unpretentious burger, they give you at least a pound of nice fries with, and I honestly don't pass through that town without stopping to eat. I haven't been in a year or two, but my earlier visits were spaced over several years, so I still recommend.

I am up and down the Coquihalla a fair bit as my parents are in Sun Peaks (north of Kamloops), and when I need to eat en route, I will stop at the Home Restaurant in Merritt. I have eaten at the one at the eastern-most Hope exit, and I was not impressed at all, but the one in Merritt makes a lovely burger. And if you get the senior's plate, you only have to leave behind half of the fries!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I am up and down the Coquihalla a fair bit as my parents are in Sun Peaks (north of Kamloops), and when I need to eat en route, I will stop at the Home Restaurant in Merritt. I have eaten at the one at the eastern-most Hope exit, and I was not impressed at all, but the one in Merritt makes a lovely burger. And if you get the senior's plate, you only have to leave behind half of the fries!

*Deborah*

Two words for you .... Skinny's Diner

Give Hope another shance :biggrin:

A.

i just posted on another thread about a hickory burger :wub: i had today at derek archer's new place on lonsdale (and 18th) in north van. it's called browns restaurant and bar.

back bacon, cheese, bbq sauce. 10 bucks with plenty fries or salad. worth every penny.

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com :blush:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

Another Sunday afternoon, another craving. :biggrin:

I paid a visit to Vera's Burger Shack in Kits this afternoon, and throwing caution to the wind, I ordered a G-Money burger. Pretty good burger and great fries. My only complaints: two patties on one bun makes it hard to eat, and the restaurant was very smokey, like the grill vents weren't working, so I took my burger to go and ate in the car.

There was some talk, IIRC, at the eGullett Kolachy lunch last week of reviving the Burger Club. Any interest in that, folks?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Having just discovered this thread and taking the time to read through all posts (ok,2 pages), I'm in!!. Love burgers. The absolute best burger I have ever had, unfortunately, are not within easy reach. 5 years ago, while honeymooning on the Greek islands, we were sent to a very-out-of-the-way place on the island of Naxos. There were only 2 tables there, basically someones back patio,no menus and the burgers took about 1 hour!! No problem, they were worth the wait. The bad news is that with the exception of some cheese and roasted red peppers in the center, I don't recall all the ingrediants, just that they were the best!!

Derek