• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, BC, and Western Canada Burger Club

Ling

Alright you burger experts. Im on the island this weekend. Where the heck can I find a kick ass burger?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Alright you burger experts.  Im on the island this weekend.  Where the heck can I find a kick ass burger?

Which island? Lulu, Sea, Granville, Pender, Vancouver? North or south? East or west?

:wink:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I had the best burger that ever last night! I'm talking about a "When Harry Met Sally" moment on my bar stool. :biggrin:

We were at the Bearfoot Bistro's Champagne Bar and shared their game burger. The patty was mix of Kobe beef, sterling silver striploin, caribou, venison, buffalo and lamb, and it was at least an inch thick! Sitting in between a thin ciabatta bun, slightly toasted, a smear of caramelized onion relish, gruyere (i think) cheese, and a lovely bacon. When I picked my half up, I gave it a little squeeze and a good amount of juices oozed, yes, oozed. It was perfectly slightly pink in the middle. Oh, the buger Gods blessed me last night! It was served with crisp frites, a few gerkhins, little dishes of ketchup and aioli.

Dead tasty!! The patty was moist, juices oozed down my fingers and the flavour was a touch gamey and just plain delicious!

Oh yeah, the oysters and the french onion soup were amazing as well.

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

I had the best burger that ever last night!  I'm talking about a "When Harry Met Sally" moment on my bar stool.  :biggrin:

We were at the Bearfoot Bistro's Champagne Bar

We were sitting to your left at Bearfoot - two women with curly hair. We had amazing pheasant parpadelle, but watched you receive your burger and wished we had ordered it!

Gastronomista

I had the best burger that ever last night!  I'm talking about a "When Harry Met Sally" moment on my bar stool.  :biggrin:

We were at the Bearfoot Bistro's Champagne Bar and shared their game burger.  The patty was mix of Kobe beef, sterling silver striploin, caribou, venison, buffalo and lamb, and it was at least an inch thick!  Sitting in between a thin ciabatta bun, slightly toasted, a smear of caramelized onion relish, gruyere (i think) cheese, and a lovely bacon.  When I picked my half up, I gave it a little squeeze and a good amount of juices oozed, yes, oozed.  It was perfectly slightly pink in the middle.  Oh, the buger Gods blessed me last night!  It was served with crisp frites, a few gerkhins, little dishes of ketchup and aioli. 

Dead tasty!!  The patty was moist, juices oozed down my fingers and the flavour was a touch gamey and just plain delicious!

Oh yeah, the oysters and the french onion soup were amazing as well.

That sounds like a worthwhile burger club expedition to me...

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

We were at the Bearfoot Bistro's Champagne Bar

We were sitting to your left at Bearfoot - two women with curly hair. We had amazing pheasant parpadelle, but watched you receive your burger and wished we had ordered it!

We were wondering about you two! You looked familiar and when you whipped out your camera, I had an inkling you were a fellow egulleter (plus I think we met at a burger club). That parpadelle sounded very good as well.

That sounds like a worthwhile burger club expedition to me...

Well, we're going again next weekend, so in the name of research, I will have to try it again. Just to make sure! :wink:

Quentina

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a challenge for Burger-Club members ...

Burgers Etc. is holding a Burger Eating contest CLICK. My word of advice ... make the treck out to Burnaby and try out their burgers before you enter the contest. They're big ... I just want you to know what you;re getting yourself into!

A.

Sadly, I don't think that I'm up for a burger eating contest. :hmmm:

Though I have probably consumed my body weight in Feenie burgers, I was persuaded to have it with the extra short rib on Sunday. I have to say - wow! It was truly amazing with that extra meaty goodness in it, but, for me, impossible to finish (yes, I left one bite left on the plate - probably shouldn't have had it with the poutine or the charcuterie plate as an appetizer).

Also, given that this is the Burger Club thread, I think we should briefly hang our heads in homage to the Rodeo Drive-in burger shack in Surrey which is now closed. Always sad to see a historical food place close down. :sad:

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Also, given that this is the Burger Club thread, I think we should briefly hang our heads in homage to the Rodeo Drive-in burger shack in Surrey which is now closed. Always sad to see a historical food place close down.  :sad:

T

I hung my head for that place while they were still open. Bleah.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Here's a challenge for Burger-Club members ...

Burgers Etc. is holding a Burger Eating contest CLICK.  My word of advice ... make the treck out to Burnaby and try out their burgers before you enter the contest.  They're big ... I just want you to know what you;re getting yourself into!

A.

We have given Calvin the owner a free ad and link on our site to promote the event:

http://www.foodvancouver.com/dining-guide/...?restaurant=246

I wonder if the "Black Widow" will show?

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that CTV News is going to be airing a week long special on local burgers. I didn't catch the details.

*Oh! I just saw the commercial again...starts tonight at 6.

Edited by JasmineL (log)

I just noticed that CTV News is going to be airing a week long special on local  burgers. I didn't catch the details.

*Oh! I just saw the commercial again...starts tonight at 6.

i just watched it! thanks for the heads-up. it was...uh...interesting. vera's looks good, but could the cook at wally's press the patties even more!? they even weigh them down with a cement spreader....ugh.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Is Wally's Burgers for sale. Not that I am in the market, just curious.

Can anyone confirm for me that the Wally's veggie burger is infact a fried egg on a bun? A veggie friend of mine told me this a few years ago...and I really want to believe her...but... :blink:

Went to Burger Etc.. in Burnaby this past weekend.

Had the basic burger platter:

gallery_25348_1380_12778.jpggallery_25348_1380_15826.jpg

The burger is served medium well and is quite good in the basic burger way. Fries were fresh cut but a little heavy. Overall - it's the kind of burger that you would be happy to have made at home. The price seems a little high though - two burger platters with two sodas came to $25. Worth checking out but I would say Vera's is a better value and a better burger.

Went to Vera's on Denman yesterday and they didn't have the ingredients available to make the Thai burger that won the contest. :sad:

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Hi, fellow burger lovers.

I'll be helping Lee with setting up Burger Club meetings and we're thinking of having one on Sunday, April 30th.

My personal choice for a venue would be Feenies :raz: , but I know that the Burger Club had a meeting there last summer so am open to suggestions. Alternate venues?

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

I'll be helping Lee with setting up Burger Club meetings and we're thinking of having one on Sunday, April 30th.

My personal choice for a venue would be Feenies  :raz: , but I know that the Burger Club had a meeting there last summer so am open to suggestions. Alternate venues?

Cheers,

T

The best hamburger in Vancouver is at Chez Jim in Lower ForMiCa, but alas that's by appointment only. The second best I've had was at The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel last summer. But to ensure quality control, I'd recommend a reconnaisance foray - that means you - before commiting the whole club. I hope you have a similar experience.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

My personal choice for a venue would be Feenies  :raz: , but I know that the Burger Club had a meeting there last summer so am open to suggestions. Alternate venues?

Cheers,

T

Burgers Etc. in Burnaby.

If you can't drag yourself out past Boundary Road for a great hamburger, then fine! I'll keep them to myself. :raz:

A.