• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate ideas

Verbena-NZ

I just had a small wrapped candy. They're in a big bowl here in the office, and if I find the person who put it there, I'm going to hug them, then slap them. Evil person. I'll be bouncing in place for the next couple of hours. My head will be on the desk by 5.

Anyway, it was a Nestle Creamy Caramel Coffin. Basically a caramel filled chocolate piece. But the caramel, when tasted by itself, was far saltier than I would have imagined it would be. Not unpleasant - it reminds me of butterscotch. All together, an enjoyable piece of candy, but I was a little taken aback by the saltiness.

And unless I'm imagining things, there is a subtle spicy aftertaste. Back of the throat. Like cayenne, maybe.

Maybe this will give you some inspiration. A salty, spicy, yet not overseasoned caramel paired with an everyday milk chocolate. I don't think it would work with dark, unless you were to layer 2 caramels, one spicy and one not, within a darker chocolate.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 2 weeks later...