• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Restaurant Openings-Christmas/New Years

I don't know of any guide book that will give you the answer, but I'm sure the concierge of a hotel would know the answer. One of the reasons we go to the Vernet is that Claudio, the concierge is fantastic. When in doubt about anything, I ask him.

Margaret -- This question would be a good one for the Amex Platinum Concierge desk. Let me know if you'd like me to pose it. Also, what type of restaurant would be ideal, so certain guidelines can be provided? I know of at least one three-star in Paris that would be open.  :wink:

This forum has to be one of the most amazing travel resources!  Thank you all for the excellent suggestions.

Lizziee, I will get up in the wee-hours and call our hotelman, with whom my husband had suggested I check the feasibility of a holiday visit this year.  Good approach.

Robert Brown, what a wonderful idea for a Christmas morning stroll, ending with brunch at Jo Goldenberg!

Cabrales, I have never used the concierge services of our card, and this is a super time to put them to the test.

And Steve P, should you fall over your list, and should it already be on your computer, not only would I be thrilled to see it, but I'm sure it would be a valuable addition to the eG. archive.

Cabrales, re our target restaurant, I would guess it would be a 1-star.  We would be looking for someplace with some degree of (holiday) joviality but decent food and good service, preferably not a hotel, and not a "bistro" per se.  I was thinking about, and have e-mailed, Les Bookinistes.

This question came up the other evening when our son came over for dinner, and while reminiscing about a Christmas we three spent in London, someone said, "Why not Paris and why not this year."  They drifted away from the table, leaving the research and details to me.

Again, many thanks for these excellent and varied suggestions.

eGullet member #80.

Don't forget to let us know what you found and which sources were helpful.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to Bux's request, here is my experience with the concierge service of my (brokerage house) VISA card.  I called an 800 number and told the rep that I was looking for a list of Paris restaurants, around the 1-star Michelin level, open for holiday dinner on Christmas Day. As she knew of no existent list, she forwarded my request to a concierge for research.  I asked to be contacted by fax or e-mail since I am frequently away from home.  I was contacted within an hour or so by e-mail, confirming the search, providing contact fax, phone plus extension numbers and e-mail address of the concierge, who, from the e-mail address, seemed to be from a major international travel company.  I was informed at this time that it would probably take a week for restaurants to answer the faxes and/or e-mails being sent out on my behalf.  We left town for a week, and came home to find a list of restaurants annotated with contact numbers and websites, when available.  

The list: Arpege, Au Pied de Cochon, Auberge Nicolas Flamel, Cafe du Commerce, Charlot Roi des Coquillages, Chartier, Hard Rock Cafe, La Fermette Marbeuf 1900, Le Procope, Le Temps au Temps.

They ended with an invitation to continue the search and/or to request that they make necessary reservations.

(Editorializing, I suggest that these credit card concierge services provide an excellent service for those who either know precisely what reservations they want and, at the other end of the continuum, for those who haven't any idea how to do the research.  They are cost nothing and are very simple to use.)

In the meantime, I have received in response to an effort on my part an e-mail from Les Bookinistes, saying that they will not be open.

I will probably wait until early fall before resuming the hunt by privately faxing and e-mailing a group of target dining rooms.  And in the meantime, will chat up favorite waiters and dining room managers, as well as our good deskman, for their more personalized thoughts.

eGullet member #80.

Cabrales, it's part of my baggage that I try not to "exercise" either friends or services.  To the extent that it would be interesting to the group to get a calibration on the effectiveness of different concierge services, I might stretch my ethics. :sad:  That said, and if you really don't mind using your service, it would be lovely to see what they would come up with.  I do think that these services need to have the parameters strongly drawn in order to provide good information.  As I stated in an earlier post, we were looking for not-too-formal places around the 1-star Michelin, or probably more precisely, the 15-16 Gault Millau level.  These are the ones I will target later in my search.

eGullet member #80.

• 1 month later...
Margaret -- This question would be a good one for the Amex Platinum Concierge desk. Let me know if you'd like me to pose it. Also, what type of restaurant would be ideal, so certain guidelines can be provided? I know of at least one three-star in Paris that would be open.  :wink:

Margaret -- I asked Amex Platinum Concierge to list all Paris restaurants that are either one or three-starred (the latter included for my information) and that are open on either Christmas Day and/or New Year's Day (the latter for my information). The list provided by such service may be poor in its coverage of one stars, although that may be difficult to verify without contacting applicable restaurants ourselves.

Below is the relevant part of the e-mail I received in response to my request.

RESTAURANT NAME: Ledoyen

ADDRESS: 1 av. Dutuit, on the Carré des Champs-Élysées, Paris, France

PHONE: 01-53-05-10-01

CUISINE: French

AVERAGE PRICE PER CUSTOMER: $40.00

DESCRIPTION: This elegant restaurant tucked away in the quiet gardens flanking the Champs-Élysées is a study in the grandiose style of Napoléon III, with gilded ceilings and walls, plush armchairs, and tables with candelabra (head for the historic rooms upstairs; avoid downstairs). Unfortunately, this aging beauty needs a face-lift, at least from the looks of the upholstery and even some rather lackluster dishes served up by the kitchen. Still, whether you want to eat light or hearty, young chef Christian Le Squer's elegant, beautifully realized menu is usually a treat. The turbot with truffled mashed potatoes is excellent, and don't skip the first-rate cheese trolley. Reservations essential. Closed weekends.

RESTAURANT NAME: Taillevent

ADDRESS: 15, rue Lamennais (George V), Paris, FR,

PHONE: 01 44 9 5 15 01

AVERAGE PRICE PER CUSTOMER: $114

DESCRIPTION: Taillevent is located near the Etoile and has once again been ranked #1 for Food, Service and Popularity. Michel del Burgo, formerly with Le Bristol, graces this 3 star Michelin temple of gastronomy. He picks up expertly where Philippe Legendre left off, turning out haute cuisine that sparkles when combined with their superb wine list and extravagant service. This is an absolute must.

RESTAURANT NAME: L'Arpege

ADDRESS: 84 rue de Varenne Paris

PHONE: 33 1 45 51 47 33

AVERAGE PRICE PER CUSTOMER: $125

DESCRIPTION: Alain Passard has created yet another sublime French masterpiece with his innovatively superb cuisine, which is ranked #2 for Food. It is the epitome of discreet elegance with Passard being called the "best chef of his generation. It may live in the shadow of Taillevent as the #2 restaurant but it certainly outshines the competition.

RESTAURANT NAME: Guy Savoy

ADDRESS: 18 Rue Tryon

PHONE: 33 1 43 804 061

AVERAGE PRICE PER CUSTOMER: $70

DESCRIPTION: Guy Savoy has created a festival by combining invention, passion and intelligence at this haute cuisine flagship. Simplicity ranks high where presentation counts and the service is efficient and enjoyable. The décor is like that of a gentlemen's club with wood, leather and stone enhancing the experience and the atmosphere. Jackets and ties required for gentlemen.

RESTAURANT NAME: L'Ambroisie

ADDRESS: 9 Place des Vosges Paris

PHONE: 33 1 42 78 51 45

AVERAGE PRICE PER CUSTOMER: $110

DESCRIPTION: Inspirational, ambrosial, perfection are just a few of the words that come to mind when tasting Bernard Pacaud's French cuisine. The dining rooms are elegant with décor by François-Joseph Graf. High ratings and the challenge of getting reservations speak for themselves.

RESTAURANT: Pierre Gagnaire

ADDRESS: 6, rue Balzac (George V), Paris, FR, 75008

PHONE: 01 58 36 12 50

CUISINE: New French

AVERAGE COST PER CUSTOMER: $105

DESCRIPTION: Amateurs and Foodies unite to sing their praises for Pierre Gagnaire and his magnificent haute cuisine. The cuisine is a mind blowing experience with new tastes and new horizons. The service is attentive, the sommelier an expert and the food a celebration. All in all, it is an overwhelming experience.

RESTAURANT NAME: Drouant

ADDRESS: 8, rue Gaillon (Opéra/Quatre-Septembre)

PHONE: 33 1 42 65 15 16

AVERAGE COST PER CUSTOMER: $80

DESCRIPTION: The fact that the Drouant is the location where the Goncourt jury decides the annual winner of France's top literary prize demonstrates their ability to transform at any need you may have. Drouant's food is classically compiled with first-rate cuisine. The dining room is splendid with an art deco feel. It's great for business meals or for a quiet dinner for two.

RESTAURANT NAME: Le Celadon

ADDRESS: 15, rue Daunou (Auber/Opéra) Paris, FR, 75002

PHONE: 33-1 47 03 40 42

CUISINE: New French

AVERAGE PRICE PER CUSTOMER: $61

DESCRIPTION: Le Celadon is the 1 star Michelin rated dining room at the Hotel Westminster. The room is excellent for either a business lunch or a romantic dinner. The service is charming. The setting is plush. They have a prix fixe lunch. All in all, it's definitely worth it, whatever you are looking for.

Note the outdated Zagat information included in certain of the restaurant descriptions. :blink:

Cabrales, I very much appreciate your interest, effort and resulting list.

I will try to read it more closely later, but this is my first encounter with the new format, and I am disturbed by how difficult it is to read. I am having trouble with clarity of font and contrast. Are you or anyone else having difficulty in receiving clear text?

Again, thanks for the good list.

eGullet member #80.

• 3 months later...

We are food lover's and will be in Burgundy Dec 26-30 (advice on where to stay and eat there would be appreciated as well. We were there last over 10 years ago). ...Traveling back to Paris on the 31st. Still looking for a moderate priced hotel. Also looking for a great place for dinner. We are willing to spend more on dinner than hotel (priorities!). We love wine, so a good list is needed. We go to Paris a lot, but are always looking for good places, especially for a romantic New Year's Eve! Thanks!

Philly Francophiles

New Year's Dinners in Paris--the official options won't be out for some time, so if you want to know this far in advance, you probably need to call some places and ask. For places with a view and romance, the upper end would be La Tour d'Argent and Jules Verne (Eiffel Tower). If you want the view and somthing trendy I would call Georges in the Centre Pompidou.

Whatever you do, don't eat anywhere near/on the Camps Elysee - it's absolute madness and pricey to boot! But do hear down that way for midnight, its quite fun.

As for the Eiffel Tower, as David said the Jules Verne is fine - but don't go to the one on the floor below, it's disgusting touristy fayre.

Burgundy thoughts---Lameloise [Chagny],

Marc Meneau's L'Esperance in Vezelay

Lunch at Montrachet in the eponymous

hotel & village

There also are some excellent restaurants in Beaune.

Someone on board brought a fabulous review of these,so

thread back.

If you are 'stretching' Burgundy to include Lyon, there have

been several recent postings about dining there also.

Well, we found a hotel - (Thanks Accor Hotels) at $110 per night. Right off of the Place de Vosges and tentatively a place in Burgundy via the Gites de France site.

We even managed to score a reservation at La Tour D'Argent for New Years Eve, but we don't think we're going to take them up on it. It's 350euros each, servis compris but WITHOUT WINE :shock:

OK, we understand the whole premium on New Years Eve thing. (We used to work in restaurants). So, we'll be looking around some more. At least the 2002 Guide Rouge Paris now puts web addresses on a lot of the restaurants and hotels.

Maybe we'll check out the Jules Verne, but the problem would be getting herself up the Eiffel Tower.

Merci encore.

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone asked where to go for Christmas and New Year's in Paris. At the Hotel Le Bristol, Chef Frechon will serve an 8 course menu on Dec. 24 and 25 for 300 euros which will include his potato/caviar waffle, his turbot with truffles and chestnuts, the Bresse chicken with foie gras ravioli and a selection of buches de Noel cakes.

Three different programs are scheduled for New Year's Eve: an 8 course "Feather and Sequins" dinner with can-can dancers and a big band (550 euros), a traditional dinner including scallops and venison (300 euros) with a musical quartet and "upscale snacks (caviar, foie gras, salmon) in the Bar. There are also plans for a January 1 Jazz Brunch for 100 euros (adults) and 55 euros (children).

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy and I are off to Paris for five days over the New Year holiday. We're staying with my cousin in Montparnasse. First time I've been over for a couple of years (why?). I'm trying to get my head round various issues, such as - will restaurants be open as normal, both on New Year's Eve and on other days around then? will they be serving their usual menus? what places should I be looking to try out?

I've come to the conclusion that palaces of gastronomy are probably out on this occasion on price grounds, but am struggling to identify the sweet spot for Parisian dining. In an ideal world I'd want to spend around Eu160 for two for dinner, including booze, but would probably go higher in the right circumstances.

Thoughts? At what price point do you reckon you get the best value for money?

cheers

Adam

Benoit - wonderful meal there for 168e & that included bottle and half of wine. Its just south of the Beauborg. Its a run down french bistro but also has a michelin star. Great atmosphere & food. Possibly the best & largest piece of foie gras I've ever had.