• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Restaurant Openings-Christmas/New Years

My family and I will be traveling to france over the Christmas-New Years holiday. Obviously, this presents some difficulties regarding restaurant reservations.

We arrive on Christmas day, and we are having a devil of a time finding someplace to eat that evening.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a nice place for a dinner that evening?

Any other thoughts on can't miss dining opportunities are (of course) welcome. We will be in Beaunne for three days during the trips, and in paris for 8 days (with a one day trip to Epernay.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

My family and I will be traveling to france over the Christmas-New Years holiday.  Obviously, this presents some difficulties regarding restaurant reservations.

We arrive on Christmas day, and we are having a devil of a time finding someplace to eat that evening.

A brasserie eg Brasserie Lorraine, Bofinger or places “that say” they’re open TLJ:

Bistrot du Dome

Pinxo

Sumai’s

Au Pied de Cochon

La Gare

Cafe de l'Homme

Le Polidor

Cafe Guitry

Caffe Leffe

l'Actuel

Thoumieux

Casa Alcade

Garnier

La Chopotte

A good rule is places run by young couples take the school holiday, big places and hotel restos are more often open.

The following are places that have been open in winters past over the holidays; again one must check this year:

Beurre Noisette

La Dinee

Pre Verre

Bistrot de Breteuil

Fontaine de Mars (except eves and days of Xmas and NYears)

Dix Vins

Café Constant

Ze Kitchen Galerie

La Cuisine not Xmas Day

Lauriston

Frugier

L’O a la Bouche

Point Bar

Bon Acceuil changes

Again, first check 2005 guides, then telephone.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 year later...

My husband and I are going to paris for new year's and have read that many restaurants do 5 course meals, etc.

Does anyone have any suggesttions?

They are all pricey, but I do not want to reserve something, pay alot and have it be blah.

Although I have yet to have a bad meal in France.

My husband and I are going to paris for new year's and have read that many restaurants do 5 course meals, etc.

Does anyone have any suggesttions?

They are all pricey, but I do not want to reserve something, pay alot and have it be blah.

Although I have yet to have a bad meal in France.

I do believe we have a handy-dandy compendium on the subject here.

John Talbott

Yes, and the Espadon, at 2007 Euros per person looks pretty interesting, too...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread was started we've put up a compendium that contains prior threads on eating during Christmas, New Years, Easter, etc. that members may wish to consult if they are planning on coming over the holidays. Regardless of what the guidebooks say, it's always wise to check by phone. Last year for instance one place intended staying open on New Year's Day but New Year's Eve stretched them and they were closed.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

FYI today's Figaroscope's Dossier published descriptions of places that serve a special St Silvestre dinner that included:

Less than 100 €

A & M

Le Pré Salé

Le Partage

Zen Garden

Mood

La Villa Pereire

100-200 €

Royal Madeleine

Les Muses

Liza

Chez Clement

Bizen

Maceo

Blue Elephant

Barlotti

L’Orenoc

Senseo

Daru

Cafe M

Barrio Latino

200-300 €

Murano

Les Ombres

Le Frist

Maison Blanche

El Cortile

Taillevent

300-400 €

Carre des Feuillants

Yachts de Paris

Beyond 500 €

Le Meurice

l’Espadon

Edited by John Talbott to correct error in first amount (not 200 but 100 €.)

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

• 11 months later...

Hi all. I'll be in Paris Christmas Eve with my gentleman friend, and we'd like to find a good place to eat that night! I assume we will need to make reservations! :shock:

We will most likely be at the Marriott Rive Gauche, on Boulevard St-Jacques, right by Montparnasse.

A couple of restrictions:

We don't want to spend a million dollars on dinner, in fact, I'd like to keep it to €50 per person if possible.

We aren't really interested in experimental cuisine (á la Adriá et al) - a good traditional place is far more interesting to us. I am familiar with the Paris métro system, and we have walked all over the city on our last two trips there, as well.

That said, we like pretty much everything, so no food restrictions, and of course we drink wine! We'll be sticking to wine rather than cocktails, as he has to fly the next day and I have completely lost my tolerance for hard alcohol due to a 25-pound weight loss and, well, not drinking it!

Thanks, all! Looking forward to your suggestions.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Hi all.  I'll be in Paris Christmas Eve with my gentleman friend, and we'd like to find a good place to eat that night!  I assume we will need to make reservations!  :shock:

We will most likely be at the Marriott Rive Gauche, on Boulevard St-Jacques, right by Montparnasse. 

A couple of restrictions:

We don't want to spend a million dollars on dinner, in fact, I'd like to keep it to €50 per person if possible.

We aren't really interested in experimental cuisine (á la Adriá et al) - a good traditional place is far more interesting to us.  I am familiar with the Paris métro system, and we have walked all over the city on our last two trips there, as well.

That said, we like pretty much everything, so no food restrictions, and of course we drink wine!  We'll be sticking to wine rather than cocktails, as he has to fly the next day and I have completely lost my tolerance for hard alcohol due to a 25-pound weight loss and, well, not drinking it!

Thanks, all!  Looking forward to your suggestions.

K

Maybe you could give us a few parameters to narrow your search beyond 50 € pp traditional non-Adria - for instance small large, brasserie bistro restaurant, trendy classic, new old, etc. I assume you have already checked out all the compendia by what is open on holidays, by arrondissement, inexpensive eats, and recent finds by members etc.

John Talbott

I would definitely stay away from the L'espadon. You can eat much better for the money at any of the two star/ three star restaurants in Paris. I would look at Le Bristol: they have a wonderful menu for new years eve.

Monday-Tuesday, A Nous Paris had more places to go for New Year’s Eve:

Good price-quality ratio Atelier Berger 72 €

New Au Petit Marguery 98 €

Franco-Italian Il Cortile 265 €

High Up Jules Verne 750 €

Full Sea Dessirier 128 €

Classic Les Noailles 160 € with wine

Playful Jean, rue St Lazare in the 9th, 125 €

Offbeat Kube 190 €

Palace l’Espadon – Hotel Ritz 500 € with wine

John Talbott

It was a joke , Seth.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Probably enjoy it even less at more than 2000€!

blog

How about this for New Years Eve - 120 E for risotto with lobstah and truffles, carpaccio of scallops with (you've got it) truffles on an oyster mousse, with white wine; a female deer nugget a la Rossini, and (oh Gosh - truffled) brie and other cheeses with a red; a runny biscuit with Clementines with sherbet and a dessert wine.

You heard it here first - Le Clocher Pereire is the great undiscovered place in Paris in 2007 and please, don't use my name to get reservations - they know me.

Disclosure: no comps, price today was truly 77 E for two with coffee but no bottled water.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

I'd like to suggest three rules to guide you and me when looking for places to eat in any holiday season:

1. Choose either old hotel restaurants or brasseries that are open respectively for their guests or because brasseries never sleep.

2. Or new places - recall that Flora was open that first August and l'Epigramme, Clocher Pereire + l'Oxylis - all splendid new restos - are open now.

3. Telephone, telephone, telephone, their answering machines will tell you and more and more, places have websites with such info (the Minitel cuffs are coming off).

John Talbott

• 11 months later...

The November 23rd NYT has a Travel Q&A's answer about lunch or dinner Christmas Day that suggests Le Meurice, La Table de J.R. + L'Atelier de J.R. and the brasseries Bofinger, Terminus Nord + Chez Jenny as well as Chartier + Georges.

John Talbott

With much trepidation (due to new restos changing their vacation dates after a season or two) and the usual caveats (call before assuming anything), I offer these suggestions from my archives on eating between Christmas and New Year's, New Year's Eve Day (which is often v. pricey at dinner and limited at lunch) and New Year's Day:

Between Christmas and New Year's:

l'Arome, Violin d'Ingres, Bath's, Astier, Maree Passy, Table Lauriston, Beurre Noisette, Marty, Clocher Periere, l'Entetee, Agapes (ex-Equitable not Agapé),

New Year's Eve:

Viel Ami, Vaudeville

New Year's Day:

l'Epigramme, Bistro du Dome

Any day but Wednesday:

Lao Lane Xang 2

John Talbott

Many thanks, John. Here are a handful of other possibilities for the week of New Year's from my, and my diligent concierge's, research (with a spot of help from Alec Lobrano):

Breizh Cafe: Closed only on Dec 31st.

Fine Gueules: Reopens on January 2nd.

Carte Blanche: Open January 2nd, 3rd (evening only), 5th and 6th. Also has a 100€ NYE dinner.

Café Des Musées: Reopens on January 4th.

Jadis: 70€ NYE dinner

For more ideas, also see julot-les-pinceaux's helpful post.

"Sauce separates you from the money. Make a good sauce, you make the money."

-- James Willis

UPDATE: Despite normally being open on Sundays for lunch, L'Epigramme is not serving lunch on the 4th. L'Astier, however, is doing dinner.

Any suggestions for Sunday lunch would be gratefully entertained...

"Sauce separates you from the money. Make a good sauce, you make the money."

-- James Willis

UPDATE: Despite normally being open on Sundays for lunch, L'Epigramme is not serving lunch on the 4th. L'Astier, however, is doing dinner.

Any suggestions for Sunday lunch would be gratefully entertained...

Garance, Agapes, Bistro du Dome, Pinxo, Cagouille, Lao Lane Xang 2.

John Talbott