• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwali Party for four-year olds

rajsuman

Hi,

I'm organising a Diwali party at my son's school, which has children from many different ethnic backgrounds. Would anyone have suggestions on what I could make for the snacks (one savoury, one sweet perhaps)? I keep changing my mind because unlike at birthday parties, this one will have to be more traditional - I'm not sure if all the children will like Indian sweets. I'm kind of leaning towards tiny samosas (ambitious, because I haven't the time/patience/energy to make so many) and burfi, perhaps.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Suman

Certainly Monica must have some suggestions. I do remember she is the proud parent of a young boy.

I have been wondering myself what I ought to do this Diwali. It has to be a very low key one for our family. We lost both my grandmas this year. So really Pooja is the only thing we may end up doing.

Monica, what does your son enjoy about Diwali? I am glad to see you are posting over the weekend...and frequently in the Indian forum. Enrich us please, with some of your sons Diwali impressions.. please. :smile:

I love samosas..and most kids I have made them for enjoy them. Burfee ... hmm...what one were you thinking suman? Monica, does your son enjoy any in particular?

Suman, I wish you much luck with the Diwali party. There is a recipe I have for a cardamom and pistachio cake that was shared on eGullet. If you would like, I can give you that.. whilst it is not really traditional, many an Indian that has tried that cake, has found it very Indian. Go figure. Email me at chef@suvir.com and I shall be happy to send it for you... I also know we have a thread here on eGullet from which I got the recipe. I can try posting a link to it as well.

Besan Burfi (not Ladoo) is something I remember loving as a kid. I loved the more fudgy kind. Maybe that could be something you can make.

Suman -- my little one and his naughty buddies love chocolate coconut burfi. I have had tiny chocolate samosas -- a treat from a chef friend here. Ofcourse -- simple kheer or rice pudding is always a big hit at our house -- topped with powdered cinnamon.

For the savory -- hmmm--- since the kids are of different ethnic backgrounds -- maybe a very mild chivda? Or Indian chexmex as my son calls it. I am not sure its Diwali related but the kids seem to enjoy it. :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Yes, even I was thinking of chocolate burfi - that can't go wrong, can it? the cake and the chiwda sound lovely too. How old is your son, Monica?

Thanks.

Suman

P.S. Confession: I'm seriously addicted to this forum! I get withdrawal symptoms if I can't get a fix on a daily (hourly is even better) basis :wub: