• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Revolution in Passaic

Jason Perlow

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpc...UVFeXk2NDM4OTQ3

Staff Writer Victor Sasson wrote a pretty intersting peice about all the Mexican restaurants and stores in Passaic.

Anyone try any of these places? Sounds like we have a NJ get-together candidate if we can find the right place.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Holy shit! I'm more excited about the grocery shopping...

La Flor Mexicana is an old movie theater stuffed with food, produce, spices, shampoos and balms, hats, costumes, and cookware.

Plastic garbage pails are filled with dried chilies - pasilla, mulato, and many others. There are sturdy clay pots for cooking beans, others to hold drinking water, and brightly painted clay coffee cups.

...irresistible.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

He must have read about it here :blink: I wrote about it a month or two ago in my speel about Patterson and Passaic.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

This is great news. I work in Bergen County (live in Union County) and Mexican is my latest project. Very excited about the prospect of the cheesemaker especially, as I'm constantly reading "the type of cheese usually used for ____ is not available in the US..." (Bayless). I'd love to see a thread on Mexican groceries in NJ if there isn't one already.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I grew up in suburban Passaic county (Ringwood, to be exact) and on recent trips home I've been excited by the number of Mexican groceries and taquerias springing up in neighboring towns. Pompton Lakes, for example, seemed on the verge of dying altogether. What used to be a bustling main street had, in the course of only a few years, become home to a growing number of boarded up shops. Now, there are no less than 2 taquerias (maybe 3, I can't remember) and a handful of Mexican groceries - all along a little stretch of road that runs about three blocks. Not bad for an area of NJ that until recently had only El Torito and it's ilk to look to for Mexican food.

This is great news.  I work in Bergen County (live in Union County) and Mexican is my latest project.  Very excited about the prospect of the cheesemaker especially, as I'm constantly reading "the type of cheese usually used for ____ is not available in the US..." (Bayless).  I'd love to see a thread on Mexican groceries in NJ if there isn't one already.

We can start in Bergen County. There are at least two.

El Paso Mexican Grocery Store/Taqueria in Englewood

Mi Pueblo Grocery/Taqueria in Bergenfield.

I noticed a distinct lack of interest here when these were posted.

Other decent Mexican in Northern NJ has been somewhat covered in the long running North Jersey Mexican topic, although it looks like that topic has been dead for a while. :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Thanks! I somehow missed those. This Mexican thing just came on suddenly -- I'm a little schizo with my obsessions. Englewood is doable for me during lunch, and the mole & tamales sound very enticing. I am craving tamales so hard I was going to start making my own.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 2 months later...
I grew up in suburban Passaic county (Ringwood, to be exact) and on recent trips home I've been excited by the number of Mexican groceries and taquerias springing up in neighboring towns. Pompton Lakes, for example, seemed on the verge of dying altogether. What used to be a bustling main street had, in the course of only a few years, become home to a growing number of boarded up shops. Now, there are no less than 2 taquerias (maybe 3, I can't remember) and a handful of Mexican groceries - all along a little stretch of road that runs about three blocks. Not bad for an area of NJ that until recently had only El Torito and it's ilk to look to for Mexican food.

IMHO, in pompton lakes the better of the two taquerias that I have tried is Taqueria Selena. Delicious and authentic. I had the carnitas burrito. There is also a very small shop selling Mexican food prodcuts, including queso, chiles and toritllas.

I have only been to Taqueria Selena for lunch on the weekends. I would be surprised if they were closed during the week however. No sign on the door I presume? Drag about that.

I'm planning to check out some of the new places in Paterson soon, so I will post about those as well.