• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Langer's anyone?

jschyun

Recently, I made the brash declaration that Langer's has better pastrami than the New York joints. (looking over my shoulder as I write this)

Here's the thread where I made my risky statement

Brash Langer's endorsement

I'm going to NY in a couple of months to reaffirm my heretical beliefs.

JFinLA suggested that maybe some others may be interested. Good idea! You should never eat pastrami alone.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Not sure where I stand on the East Coast/West Coast pastrami rivalry, but it's some damn good pastrami.

I'm in if it's on a weekend, but don't stress if a weekday works better for you guys.

~Tad

edit: spelling

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

Recently, I made the brash declaration that Langer's has better pastrami than the New York joints. (looking over my shoulder as I write this)

Yes, but even if it is better, you still get to enjoy it in all that wonderful smog and cultural vaccuum that is L.A. :laugh::laugh:

Lets remember something about NY pastrami -- for the most part, there is only ONE NY pastrami place, and that is Katz. And going to Katz is as much about the religious experience of being part of a true NY experience as it is eating the pastrami.

Also, with pastrami, especially at Katz, it is extremely beneficial to be very nice to the pastrami man.

Does tipping the pastrami man at Langers yeild any benefit?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey, I have actually been to Katz deli....When I was in the Army and went with my Jewish buddy and some other G.I.'s...I couldnt understand why my Jewish buddy cringed and became pale as I asked the old Jewish guy behind the counter to "slap a piece of cheese on that bad boy"....ah now I know!...Oh to be 20 yr old and oblivious again!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I'm glad that , "Langers", is finally Hand Carving their Pastrami Sandwiches. I've enjoyed them for years, but when they were busy all the Deli Meats were Machine Sliced. When it was slower they'd Hand Carve on request. It's still not NYC, but it's pretty close, especially when your in LA. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Lets remember something about NY pastrami -- for the most part, there is only ONE NY pastrami place, and that is Katz. And going to Katz is as much about the religious experience of being part of a true NY experience as it is eating the pastrami.

Also, with pastrami, especially at Katz, it is extremely beneficial to be very nice to the pastrami man.

Does tipping the pastrami man at Langers yeild any benefit?

Jason,

Langer's is table service, so while the waitresses are nice, we are denied the fun and benefits of interacting directly with the pastrami man, such as asking for thick/thin slices or from a lean/normal piece, getting a small taste, etc. as you would at Katz's. I've been to Katz's and it is indeed a religious experience at the Church of Pastramiology. If I had to try and describe the differences, IMHO Katz's is more refined (a thicker coat of more finely ground spices, the meat is trimmed a bit leaner, a lighter chew) whereas Langer's is a little more ... rustic (not quite the right word, but hopefully it conveys something). The bread and mustards are pretty darn decent, too. It's a shame we can't do a side by side tasting...with Chef Fowke's pastrami as a wildcard!

~Tad

To clarify -- I had proposed a weekday lunch at Langer's once the transit strike ends. Why? Well, I work downtown so that's when I can make it. Hollywood is downtown weekdays also. Quite frankly, I don't tend to get to the area on weekends as I'm there the other 5 days of the week.

Further, in terms of it being a "cultural wasteland," and without taking on the whole LA thing, let me just relate one story. I took my Dad to Langers when that leg of the Red Line first opened up. Dad had been to Langers before but it had been a while. Dad, a transplanted Bronx boy and CCNY grad (as is Mom), commented that the area reminded him very much of the Lower East Side when he grew up . . . just replace Lower East Side ethnic with Central American ethnic in the Langers environs and you've got it.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Hey, I have actually been to Katz deli....When I was in the Army and went with my Jewish buddy and some other G.I.'s...I couldnt understand why my Jewish buddy cringed and became pale as I asked the old Jewish guy behind the counter to "slap a piece of cheese on that bad boy"....ah now I know!...Oh to be 20 yr old and oblivious again!

Hehe, you're a funny guy.

--NeroW

This is a timely thread! En route to the UCLA-Cal ugliness on Saturday, I stopped at Langer's to finally taste what all the fuss is about. Heeding suggestions I'd gathered from Langer's veterans, I called ahead and placed my order for a #10 - on rye with swiss and dressing but no slaw. Once I pulled up to the curb, they ID'd me by my car, and brought out the goods to the curb. I managed to keep clean from pastrami debris as I worked my way north on the 110, enjoying each flavorful bite. Indeed, the bread is very good, and managed to uphold the structural integrity pretty well. Regulars claim that the meat portion isn't what it used to be, and I'm not sure what exactly I should expect from a $10 sandwich, but I wasn't complaining. Now, I have some idea of the Langer's legend.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Hehe, you're a funny guy.

I am glad somebody figured out that one.....It was quite the mistake I made in Katz's..i couldnt figure out for the life of me the big deal.....Just put a piece of cheese on it!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Well, it looks like everyone can do it for a weekday lunch except me. Oh well. Maybe next time.

--edit--

I would pay money to see someone ask for pastrami with mayo, hold the mustard, on white bread with the crusts cut off.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

I would pay money to see someone ask for pastrami with mayo, hold the mustard, on white bread with the crusts cut off.

They don't put mustard on it. They have 2 types of mustard you can apply yourself, or not. But it would be funny.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I was thinking this would be funnier in NY. Here, I sometimes wonder if people would even notice. They'd go, eh it's just another L.A. wacko. I mean, I like the L.A. wackos, but Californians inherently lack a distinct code of behavior. I'm just as guilty as anyone else. I often order dessert with dinner. And I eat it with my dinner. I just tell everyone I'm Pennsylvania Dutch and this is part of my seven sweets and sours.

--NeroW

I mean, I like the L.A. wackos, but Californians inherently lack a distinct code of behavior.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.--Oscar Wilde

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.