• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fall Soups

morela

if you happen to work within metro/walking/working distance of johnny's in dupont (disclaimer: i did work there so i'm naturally biased) ann cashion's gumbo will chase old man, ascetic winter back to his gelid icy cave, plus you will have a tum-tum full of spice. and if you go for the happiest of hours (5-6) it will be THREE dollars. yes THREE dollars. you heard me.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

if you happen to work within metro/walking/working distance of johnny's in dupont (disclaimer: i did work there so i'm naturally biased) ann cashion's gumbo will chase old man, ascetic winter back to his gelid icy cave, plus you will have a tum-tum full of spice. and if you go for the happiest of hours (5-6) it will be THREE dollars. yes THREE dollars. you heard me.

i was happy to experience this very gumbo along with some excellent fried oysters, remoulade and pickled veggies at johnny's one day for lunch not too long ago.

it was my first time there, and i have thought about it quite a bit since then...especially the oysters.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

i was happy to experience this very gumbo along with some excellent fried oysters, remoulade and pickled veggies at johnny's one day for lunch not too long ago.

it was my first time there, and i have thought about it quite a bit since then...especially the oysters.

To this day, when I walk in there, they fire a double order of fried oysters for me, before I even sit down! Those oysters rock.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I had a soothing bowl of hominy and pork stew (with lime) at Guajilo.

A big white bowl, filled with a clear, pho-like broth, wonderfully flavorful pulled pork, and hominy. Very much like the Pho 75 experience next door, the bowl comes to life when you add the ingredients that come on the side; in this case, finely chopped onions & basil on one end and oregon, radishes and a lime on the other. It's a special, but I imagine it will shine on the menu for a while longer. It's a nice contrast to the bright lights and sour plum of pho-king nextdoor. It's not very spicey, more warm and filling...and makes you a little sleepy. Yummy. Verrrrry, very yummy.

• 1 month later...

Do yourselves a favor and go to Corduory for the parsnip soup with tarragon cream. I find that parsnip soup can be tricky given the natural sweetness, but Chef Tom does a wonderful job of rounding that out with a savory tarragon cream.