• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fall Soups

morela

Thanks for all the good tips.

Mark: Tell me if that chestnut soup comes back.

Also, has anyone had chestnut soup a Marcel's? Apparently with an oyster; I'm sure it's pretty great if it really exisits...

Lot of chestnut soups these days.

Butternut squash/Roast Chestnut soup. I haven't made it in a few years but it was always an autumn hit at dinner parties.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Did you have Jamison's pumpkin-butternut squash soup at Nectar yet? Mmm... sweetbreads. Delicious...

In once a week and all you ever get is cheese... tut tut.

Who are you, tut tut?

I need pumpkin soup. I've got a long road ahead...

Right now, though, I'm trying to find 50 more cent for my Rold Gold pretzels.

Office snack machine is calling.

Should I get the Zoo Crackers instead?

I might need Nectar Saturday night. Uncle is at that other GW hotel where Dish is and different Auntie in town too...

They're pretty big foodies.

Pumpkin soup served in a hollowed out pumpkin...

One way is to hollow out a pumpkin, discard the seed and the stringy bits and then make a conventional soup

- sweat off onions. leek, garlic, lots of butter, pumpkin flesh, stock, liquidise, season (plus nutmeg), add cream. Pout into the shell and serve.

Alternatively pack the hollow pumpkin shell with alternate layers of pumpkin, toast and swiss cheese. Season. Fill with cream (or milk), and bake the whole thing in a slow oven (300F) for 2 1/2 hours. Put it in a large tin in case it leaks. It will slump a bit, but should retain its structural integrity

Bring it to table and serve, scraping bits of the softened pumpkin

jackal10:

Thanks for sharing this!

Does anyone know if there are any new funky hybrid pumpkins that can be eaten?

I mean, in different colors and what not.

I'm scared of those white pumpkins. They're so ugly, but I guess some farmer was thinking the kids could draw and paint on them better; keep the kids away from knives...

Foodies are good pumpkin carvers, right? Egullet carving contest! With wine. Dangerous, but fun!

It's not served in a pumpkin, but we have a nice pumpkin soup at Mendocino right now... made with roasted organic pie pumpkins, drizzled with a garlic yogurt sauce and garnished with cinnamon cured duck. It's pretty tasty... give me some advanced notice and I'll have them make you a pumpkin bowl if you want...

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

So, I finally got around trying Jamison's ambrosial pumpkin soup with sweetbreads (Mmm times infinity), but I'm certain that the experience has inflated my expectations...

I'm forging ahead on soup tour this Saturday.

Where should I go next?

(edited on 1/11/03)

Actually, Alex made that soup at Jamison's place. Thanks Alex, and sorry i didn't credit properly...

It's an amazing soup.

Edited by meaghanfitzgerald (log)

The cookbook for the Inn at Little Washington has a recipe for sweet potato soup with rum cream that is terrific and quite easy to make. It has a hint of curry for heat and complexity, and the lemony rum cream adds a great counterpoint.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Pumpkin soup served in a hollowed out pumpkin...

One way is to hollow out a pumpkin, discard the seed and the stringy bits and then make a conventional soup

- sweat off onions. leek, garlic, lots of butter, pumpkin flesh, stock, liquidise, season (plus nutmeg), add cream. Pout into the shell and serve.

Alternatively pack the hollow pumpkin shell with alternate layers of pumpkin, toast and swiss cheese. Season. Fill with cream (or milk), and bake the whole thing in a slow oven (300F) for 2 1/2 hours.  Put it in a large tin in case it leaks. It will slump a bit, but should retain its structural integrity

Bring it to table and serve, scraping bits of the softened pumpkin

If you are serving in the pumpkin. a French pumpkin is good because it has more of a tureen shape and just makes a beautiful presentation.

I've done butternut squash in pumpkin for Thanksgiving in the past.

• 2 months later...

Toying w/ idea of trying one of these guys from Ceiba:

Cuban Black Bean Soup

Ham and Manchego Cheese Croquetta, Pickled Red Onions, Latin Crema 6

West Indies Conch Chowder

Sweet Corn Johnnycake, Dark Rum, Outerbridges Sherry Pepper Sauce

...sounds tasty enough.

Edited by morela (log)

Soup and wine? I can do that...

Our soup right now is a celery root chestnut soup with a serrano ham buttermilk biscuit and drissled with pumpkinseed oil. Very tasty...

We have a seafood choppino, (like a stew) as well, (I ate that today...)

As for the wine... with about 30 wines by the glass, we should be able to find you something to drink.

I like that gumbo at Johhny's Half Shell a lot too.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar