• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Times: NJ Restaurant Reviews

Rosie

I'll take a look, but I think it was Karla Cook reviewing some place in Central NJ.

Maybe it's just me, but if I don't have a WOW, I GOTTA TRY THIS PLACE reaction, most reviews disappear from memory quickly.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 4 months later...

[Note: This was the beginning of a thread about Calcada - RPerlow]

David Corcoran found much to dislike and not a few annoyances in this place. The link to the review does not seem to be posted yet.

It must have been horrible to go to work Sunday morning. This is the type of review that can tear a place apart. There'll be finger pointing and animosity.

I feel terrible for Rob Welch. This review comes after much success and heady publicity. He's a talented hard-working Chef, and is a 'head screwed on straight' nice guy. I'm sorry for the review and wish him much future success.

This too shall pass

Nick

Edited by RPerlow (log)

I wish I still had the article.. his remark to the effect that everything was great except the service and food was one of the funniest remarks I've seen in a food review, though I doubt Mr. Welch was laughing very loud. Nick, what do you think of the place? I was thinking of going there before an upcoming event at NJPAC [elvis costello], but I'm having 2nd thoughts after the article.

Firstly, let me applaud your taste in music. You are obviously a man of breeding with discriminating tastes. :biggrin:

I've not been. But give it a try. Sounded like horrible service kinks that magnified the shortcomings of some of the food. Read closely, there were many dishes that Corcoran liked. A review like this will usually cause management to address the service problems immediately. So things will probably go well for you. This place has kind of a captive audience, so i doubt the review will hurt business much. Still it's quite a blow to the ego.

Nick

We visited Calcada last year. Found the food to be fine (not exceptional, but fine). Don't recall service to have been a concern.

One thing I have noticed about Corcoran / Cook reviews lately: they hit all the notes discussed here.

Number of visits

Name of the pastry chef

Specific service issues

Comment on chef's background

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Glenn -- When is the Elvis Costello concert? I ask because Calcada's only open during the summer. If the concert is in the fall, then the main restaurant, Theater Sq. Grill, is where they'll be serving. The food is more formal but quite nice. You should have a fine meal.

• 3 months later...