• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Pollo Campero, Guatemalan Fried Chicken

hjshorter

We had a similar zoo here in Houston. See Ken Hoffman's column on the experience. (It is about midway down the column.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The one in Herndon opened last Saturday - we drove by there around 10:30, before it opened, and the line was already wrapped halfway around the building.

We can swing by this weekend and check it out, or, if anyone wants to venture out to the boonies, folks can meet at our place and we can go en masse - it's about 10 minutes from our house.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Saturday or Sunday are pretty much open - the variable now is that I'm not sure what Pollo Campero's hours are, and their website doesn't say. It has incredibly perky music, though.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Well, I am anxious to hear about the food from eGulleteers who give it a try this weekend. I read that they open at 11:00. I'll get the link and post it. As an FYI, the Falls Church location sold $32, 500 worth of chicken on OPENING DAY!

I might be up for it too. Mild preference for Sunday afternoon.

Obviously not a football fan.

Ahhhh, TiVo. :biggrin:

Football? Whazzat?

Which reminds me...

If we go when international soccer tourneys are on, I bet the line is shorter!

Won't help us this weekend - doesn't appear to be anything big going on footie-wise.

I might be up for it too. Mild preference for Sunday afternoon.

Obviously not a football fan.

Ahhhh, TiVo. :biggrin:

I love my Tivo - and this might actually be one places that won't have the game on to spoil the results.

Bill Russell

In the absence of enough information to form a concrete plan of attack, I'll swing by Pollo Campero this afternoon on the way home and check out the hours, and also see if I can get any info on when/if the crowds thin out a little. I'll pass along any and all info, and we can work from there.

Mmmm. Chicken. :biggrin:

Football? Whazzat?

Which reminds me...

If we go when international soccer tourneys are on, I bet the line is shorter!

Won't help us this weekend - doesn't appear to be anything big going on footie-wise.

Nothing big going on footie-wise?!?!?!?!?

Try Sunday afternoon DC United v. Columbus, with a DC win or tie meaning a return to the playoffs for the first time in four years!

Nothing big :wacko:

of course that's not going to shorten the lines at Pollo Campero. Which reminds me at the DC United v. El Salvador game they had the Pollo Campero chicken mascot running around and all the gringos were like what's up with the funny chicken...now I know!

Edited by Tweaked (log)

Which reminds me at the DC United v. El Salvador game they had the Pollo Campero chicken mascot running around and all the gringos were like what's up with the funny chicken...now I know!

Was at the game too. Where I was sitting everyone was watching the chicken and not the game.

Try Sunday afternoon DC United v. Columbus, with a DC win or tie meaning a return to the playoffs for the first time in four years!

I'll be there.

In terms of the restaurant, however, I didn't even know it existed until today. I've waited 42 years for this, and can wait another month until the lines die down. :smile:

Sincerely,

Dr Killjoy

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Hours are 10am-11pm. The line at 6pm didn't look too bad, and since it's supposed to be nice this weekend it shouldn't be a great hardship to stand outside for a bit. (It started raining just as I got there, and there wasn't anyone bailing out over a little water.)

Parking situation is fairly dire, but we can always park at the K-Mart next door and walk over. The other problem might be seating - this location used to be an outpost of Mark Moseley's Burgers, and there wasn't a lot of seating in the previous incarnation. I didn't get a good look inside - looks like they might have made a little more space, but I can't say for sure.

I'm guessing mid-afternoon either Saturday or Sunday would be good - y'all work out which you'd prefer (we're free either day) and I'll send out directions. Plus there's always the frozen custard place a few blocks away for after. :biggrin:

Well, since it's noon, we should probably just go ahead and say tomorrow. How does 2pm, meeting at the chicken place, sound to everyone?

Directions to Pollo Campero:

From the Beltway/DC:

Take the Dulles Toll Road to the exit for Fairfax County Parkway. Turn right at the end of the exit ramp, go through one traffic light, then exit to the right and follow signs for Elden St - you'll eventually turn left at the end of the ramp and go under the overpass.

Stay on Elden St. through 4 sets of lights - you'll see a K-Mart on your right. Pollo Campero is just the other side of the K-Mart auto center on the right - it's probably best to park in the K-Mart parking lot. If you pass the Burger King on the right, you've gone too far.

See everyone at 2pm tomorrow!

Edit: just so you know what it looks like, here's a photo.

Edited by hannnah (log)