• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robuchon in London

Strange, me and Rachel were talking about Atelier the other night before I read this. Our conclusion was that there is no way the British public would endure the queueing system (if it is still in place?) more than once or twice, especially on cold/wet evenings. :hmmm:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

That's what they said about the French..... Anyway the Atelier concept was created with just this end in mind, Paris, Tokyo, London, then who knows?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

In my opinion, the food is only getting better..Have you eaten there, yet?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I ate there just after it first opened and enjoyed it a lot but I did have reservations (excuse the pun) about the queueing and the seating. The queue was fun just the once because everybody there was obviously coming because of a love of food and not necessarily because it was the 'in place' to dine. However, I wouldn't have stood there in the rain. I also don't like the way they place a single diner or couple from the back of the queue before the group of four waiting at the very front. The problem was made worse by the fact that they didn't enforce any sort of table turning (not something I normally advocate) and people could end up waiting outside for an awful long time if people inside linger over their wine.

Another thing that might put the British off is the price. Dinner for 2 came to around the £200 yet you sit at counters - it just doesn't seem right for that sort of money. In its defence i would say that the food is excellent.

Atelier in the UK. It is rumoured that Gordon Ramsay has had a hand in this.

Robuchon influence on Ramsay is quite clear. During my visit to Atelier, bowls of cherries sat atop crushed ice for guests to pick at. Ramsay used to serve cherries on top of ice as Petit Fours at Petrus :hmmm:

Remember in GR's first book there were several things which I thought reminiscent of JR or his books; cappucino of haricots blancs; tomato and basil tarts &tc (my memory fails me)

Since then I get the feeling the influence has waned, and GR has developed his own distinctive voice

J

PS I think he tried the cherry thing first back at aubergine, but the customers didn't like it as they preferred posh petit fours. they did cherries with coffee at Menu when I was there.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I love atelier in paris,

and think it could work here. I had the gazpacho for starter and desert it was so good (5 dishes in between also). The pigeon with Foie, in steamed cabbage is a 3* dish just to remind people who he is.

It's these cheeky contradictions that I think helps it work, it's irreverent and referential.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Maybe I should post this in the France board, but I am thinking of going to Robuchon in Paris in December and was interested in whether you can book if you agree to come at 11.30 (I am thinking about lunch)? Also this would be lunch before a proper 3* meal, so do people think this might be too much? What is the format? Can you just have a two or three dishes each? Or is there a lot more pressure to order more? Thanks for all the help.

Maybe I should post this in the France board, but I am thinking of going to Robuchon in Paris in December and was interested in whether you can book if you agree to come at 11.30 (I am thinking about lunch)? Also this would be lunch before a proper 3* meal, so do people think this might be too much? What is the format? Can you just have a two or three dishes each? Or is there a lot more pressure to order more? Thanks for all the help.

Most certainly.

It's probably an excellent lunch option, pre big dinner.

you can order as much or as little as you like, and the small/mid sized portions mean you can control your intake better than in most places.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

BIG SCOOP!

I had dinner last night at L'Atelier, and Philip Braun (chef and part-owner of the restaurant) confirmed that there will indeed be an Atelier London, located in the aforementionned Marriott.

blog