• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Times Visits New Orleans

Sandra Levine

I found the article quite interesting, especially because he actually visited the good restaurants in New Orleans rather than the tired old crowd.

His choice of Cuvee, August, Herbsaint, Rene Bistro, GW Fins and Victors means that he got nearly all the interesting restaurants covered. Lilette, Indigo and Rio Mar were the only others that had something to offer.

I thought he captured the spirit of Victors very well. It is an exceptionally classy restaurant with very cutting edge food. Having tried three or four meals there I think the food is a very serious attempt to break out of the mould of stodgy, overworked hotel cuisine.

Cuvee is an interesting place that I would not rank as highly as Grimes. On my first two visits I was impressed (mainly as a change from the sad, traditional restaurants in the area) but the richness of the dishes and the overly-reduced sauces soon started to jar.

I will be interested to see the reaction of others to the article.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm in the minority, since I think highly of the tired old places. Galatoire's was one of the best places I ever went as a teenager, as was the Crescent City Steak House. Wish I could afford those places as a grown-up; that and the infernal parking lots charging $8.00 minimum. :angry: