• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Spots near Hilton Portland?

Hi

Going to be spending several days at a conference at the Hilton--good, reasonable close-by (but not IN the hotel!) lunch suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially seafood/oysters.

Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I would highly suggest staying somewhere else, too, if you can. There are lots of placies within walking distance that are better. There are also lots of restaurants within relatively easy walking distance depending on what you're looking to spend, what type of food you're interested in, etc. However, a very good standard is extremely close, The Heathman (it'd also be a much better hotel option). If you just want a quick bite, the Pioneer Square has several carts with decent stuff. There are also some carts across from Fox Tower just northwest of Pioneer Square, including Chef to Go, which is a highly praised vegan/vegetarian spot.

The Heathman Bar is good; there is also Elephant's Deli branch on Park between Morrison & Yamhill (back side of Banana Republic) for soup and sandwich (Tomato soup or their chicken is great along with panini sandwiches).

I work downtown a couple of blocks from the Hilton, so here are a few recommendations:

seafood or oysters:

Jake's Famous Crawfish, 401 SW 12th...do not go to Jake's Grill, which is closer by a couple of blocks...this will be a spendy lunch, but they do an incredible volume so everything is always fresh, and the selection of local seafood is the best downtown

Dan & Louis Oyster Bar, 208 SW Ankeny...a bit of a hike (you can take light rail to speed things up...get off at Burnside/Sat Market and walk a block up Ankeny)...a classic for oyster, natch

carts:

Indai Chaat House, SW 12th and Morrison, huge portions, all vegetarian, and terrific...the behl poori is awesome

Saigon Kitchen, limited Vietnamese in front of Portland Building (SW 4th & Madison, just over a block away), but I love the curry tofu

Blue Moon Burrito...several locations, but nearest is on 5th and Yamhill by Pioneer Square

Carpe Donut, in the Park at 4th and Salmon, 12 mini donuts cooked fresh for $3

Chef to Go and a few others, especially the hot dog cart, are on SW park between Taylor and Yamhill...there are more on 5th and Oak, including King Burrito for Oaxacan-style tacos (double corn tortillas, choice of meat, onion, cilantro..about $1.25 ea)

cheap:

Taste of Bali just across Broadway is good. I also like O'Cielo, a sort of Italian deli that's up Taylor on 10th. A fairly new Thai place on 3rd and Taylor looks promising...I tried the larb, and it was good. Pizza Schmizza is down Taylor a half block...not the greatest pizza, but a not-bad cheese slice. Good Dog, Bad Dog on Alder just up from Broadway has great sausage sandwiches.

not so cheap:

Koji Osakya, a few blocks down Broadway (past Nordstrom) for sushi or donburi. Carafe, 200 SW Market, for classic Parisian bistro. Higgins, 1239 Broadway, for local ingredients and the best burger (only in the bar). Other good choices include The Heathman, Southpark, Pazzo, Red Star

avoid at all costs:

Dragonfish

Porta Terra

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Thanks. I'm actually staying at the Hotel Vintage and then the Doubletree, but will be spending my lunchtimes near the Hilton. These suggestions are helpful.

One other request--I'll be seeing a show at the Aladdin Saturday night, and will only have about an hour or so to grab dinner beforehand. Is there any place really good near there, or am I better off eating wherever I want (maybe Cafe Azul) and then cabbing over?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

The Porta Terra at the Hilton has expanded the menu recently and even though it's a little spendy, the food I'm told is excellent.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Thanks. I'm actually staying at the Hotel Vintage and then the Doubletree, but will be spending my lunchtimes near the Hilton. These suggestions are helpful.

One other request--I'll be seeing a show at the Aladdin Saturday night, and will only have about an hour or so to grab dinner beforehand. Is there any place really good near there, or am I better off eating wherever I want (maybe Cafe Azul) and then cabbing over?

Hotel Vintage has Pazzo in it, a very good Italian restaurant (although I think they recently lost their chef and service can be spotty; very good desserts for a Italian place, too).

There isn't much in the part of town really. You should give yourself 15 minutes from wherever you eat to get there once you step in the cab, just to make sure. And Portland's not much of a taxi town, so you'll want to make sure you have them lined up in advance. If you're just getting an entree and maybe a basic appetizer, you can get in and out of most Portland restaurants in 45 minutes if you tell them and as long as its not slammed. However, if it's going to take you 15 minutes to get to your dinner, then 15 minutes to get to the show, you're going to be in trouble.

I would suggest hitting Cafe Azul before the show. It is a fabulous restaurant. There is a restaurant across the street from the Aladdin. I can't quite remember the name (Sula, Sala, ?) I've heard that it is good, but doesn't come close to rivalling Cafe Azul. You could consider travelling south down Milwaukie to Papa Hadyn's after the show for dessert. However, the trouble of catching a cab an extra time probably makes it not worth it.

Oh yeah, Caprial's is not too far from the Aladdin and I always enjoy the food there. My favorite choice is to get appetizers and drinks in the bar. I think I'm not as in to full meals these days--especially before a show. If you go at 6 you won't need reservations for the bar, but you will for the restaurant. Another benefit of eating here is that it gets you out of downtown and into a nice neighborhood--good place to stroll around and window shop--two fabulous kids stores in case you have any chilluns'.

As I write this I wonder about Papa Hadyn's. They have as many desserts as ever in their case, but I feel less inclined to go there than I did ten years ago. Is it because the choices have changed so little, or because other places serve better desserts than used to be available, or what? Any thoughts?

IMHO, Papa Haydn's desserts have too much height and not enough depth. They are really a cake shop, and don't venture enough into the tart/pastry/mousse etc. realm. Their servings dwarf Pix's, but it seems to be more quantity than quality.

Sala, directly across the street from the Aladdin, is good. Not great, but definitely cheaper than Cafe Azul. The ambiance is nice - it's owned by the same people as Il Piatto. They have a decent apps/bar happy hour. A good pre-show option, though not my first choice for a snazzy meal.

IMHO, Papa Haydn's desserts have too much height and not enough depth. They are really a cake shop, and don't venture enough into the tart/pastry/mousse etc. realm. Their servings dwarf Pix's, but it seems to be more quantity than quality.

I think the bigger problem is that once you've been there half a dozen times you've probably tried everything that you're truly interested in. They don't rotate the desserts much even if it is a well-stocked case. But I think that for what they do, cakes primarily, they're pretty good. I have to admit, I'm not much of a cake person either, but I do like several of theirs. And it's kind of like a chain in that you always know that you can rely on at least the some of the same things always being there. But you're probably not going to get a huckleberry tart with orange sabayon and ginger ice cream, or filo wrapped chocolate dumplings with chocolate-olive oil, or bing cherry fritters -- all of which I got at Lucere before Paul Lemieux left.

Oh yeah, Caprial's is not too far from the Aladdin and I always enjoy the food there. My favorite choice is to get appetizers and drinks in the bar. I think I'm not as in to full meals these days--especially before a show. If you go at 6 you won't need reservations for the bar, but you will for the restaurant. Another benefit of eating here is that it gets you out of downtown and into a nice neighborhood--good place to stroll around and window shop--two fabulous kids stores in case you have any chilluns'.

As I write this I wonder about Papa Hadyn's. They have as many desserts as ever in their case, but I feel less inclined to go there than I did ten years ago. Is it because the choices have changed so little, or because other places serve better desserts than used to be available, or what? Any thoughts?

They're on the same road, the Aladdin and these places, but I think Caprial's, eg, is still like 40 blocks away from the Aladdin. That said, it's one of the two restaurants I think that any person coming to Portland should try, either it or Wildwood. But then, if you're a lover of authentic Mexican, unless you live in Chicago, LA, or the Southwest, it's probably worth hitting Cafe Azul.

Had dinner at Porto Terra at the Hilton last night and their happy hour menu is worth taking a look at. Service was very fast and the prices range from 2-4 dollars. I'll do a seperate thread on it later but it was really good and a lot of bang for the buck. It's a nice quick fix for the munchies. Dessert was fabulous too.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I would highly suggest staying somewhere else, too, if you can.  There are lots of placies within walking distance that are better.

Sorry to butt in here, but I will be coming down next weekend and am wondering about hotel suggestion, besides The Heathman, you have.

I'm looking for someplace nice, with better-than-decent sheets, towels and pillows but not stuffy. Is there a W in Portland?

Thanks

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I don't know that we really have any stuffy hotels. I don't know, maybe the Benson? I haven't stayed there or visited someone staying there, though.

I'd suggest Hotel Vintage Plaza. Heathman is good as well. I think The Hotel Vintage Plaza has more character, though, and I think it might be a little cheaper. If you want to be near the water you might look at Riverplace. It's still in downtown. 5th Avenue Suites is run by the same people as Hotel Vintage Plaza, I believe. I think these three 5th Ave, Vintage, Heathman are good choices because they're in the midst of downtown near lightrail and good restaurants and have some character. All of them have websites if you google them.

I think these three 5th Ave, Vintage, Heathman are good choices because they're in the midst of downtown near lightrail and good restaurants and have some character.

Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for!

Thanks tsquare. I had called the hotels directly but these are better rates than they quoted me.....and they include parking and breakfast! We will be staying at the Fifth Avenue Suites.

The Mallory is the best value. Big suites, on the light rail line just a few blocks from downtown, and, by happy accident, even closer to the very groovy Pearl District.Should be a bit cheaper than the others mentioned, but it is almost as nice. It's where old Portland money puts up its out of town guests.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food