• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tako Grill in Bethesda

Hobbes

Just last night I had a really refreshing experience at Tako Grill in Bethesda. For my appetizers I had one of the best Tuna Toro sashimi I have had in a long time. I got 5 individual one oz. sashimi portions garnished with fresh shiso leaves, daikon, lemon wedges and fresh grated wasabi-root. The tuna flesh was so unctuous and so delicately flavored of the sea I bypassed the soy sauce and used the garniture to accent these wonderful, super fresh, morsels. Is this one of the only restaurants in the Washington DC area that is using fresh wasabi-root? I just recently moved to the Chicago area a little over a year ago and before that I have lived in the DC metro area for 10+ years and do not remember coming across fresh wasabi. I also got as an appetizer of fresh matsutake mushrooms which were grilled and seasoned with just the addition of lemon juice. "It is very spicy and clean, like no other foodstuff. Japanese chefs treasure this delicacy, and their preparations reveal how to bring out its strong fragrance and individual flavor". The lemon juice brought out the natural spicy and smokey flavor of the mushroom which has very meaty flesh. At the time I thought of the mushrooms as very woodsy and indicative of a mushrooms flavor but much more intense. I enjoyed this very simple preparations but would love to explore other techniques to play with this mushrooms distinctive flavor. As the main entree I had Negimaki

(Scallions wrapped in thinly sliced beef served with teriyaki sauce). This dish I have had in other Japanese restaurants in the DC Metro area (namely at Matuba which is right across the street from the Tako Grill). It is served very well here with a not too sweet and balanced teriyaki sauce that is played off by the fresh scallion flavor. Overall a tasty meal that stays to its simple roots of Japanese cuisine but with subtle flourishes (and surprises) with exotic mushrooms and superbly fresh fish selections (and ingredients). Can't say more than that people should try it out; with no doubt that people already have.

While I am still in town I am going to Jose Andres MiniBar; have heard the buzz about it and now must try it out. Can't wait for the whimsical and ground breaking experience I am going to have (with the great reviews I have read here on egullet and the washington post magazine to wet my palette). I miss DC, it is good to be home; even if it is for a short while. I might as well catch up with what I have missed out on while I have been away.

Hobbes :biggrin:

Edited by Hobbes (log)

This was the first Japanese restaurant I ate at in DC, and was the first place I sampled sushi lo those many years ago. (Sushi ain't exactly a big thing in North Carolina, where I'm from.) I adored it. Still do. My mom loves them and always asks to go when she comes up since they were here first real sushi experience too.

I do prefer Sushi Taro on 17th Street, or Kaz, but when I don't feel like schlepping downtown Tako Grill suits my needs.

Malawry I have heard that Sushi Taro is good for sushi but for the ultimate sushi experience I hear, hands down, is Sushi-Ko in Glover Park (2309 Wisconsin Ave). But it will be hard to beat my meal I had at Tako Grill last week end.

Later,

Hobbes

Malawry I have heard that Sushi Taro is good for sushi but for the ultimate sushi experience I hear, hands down, is Sushi-Ko in Glover Park (2309 Wisconsin Ave).  But it will be hard to beat my meal I had at Tako Grill last week end.

Later,

Hobbes

I had an absolutely awesome dinner at Sushi-Ko last week orchestrated by Allan, the manager. We finished with the quick grilled toro, which was incredibly good. The shrimp tempura and miso with lobster were also standouts, along with the beautiful assortment of sushi and nagiri we were served.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

I'd eat at Sushi-Ko if it wasn't in such an annoying part of town. I admit I rarely go to Georgetown or Glover Park if I can help it.

Miso with lobster sure sounds good though!

I am a fan of Tako Grill but am a bigger fan of Aji Nippon.

It is about five minutes from Tako on Arlington Blvd., across from Bruce's Variety. Really good Japanese food in a smaller, more intimate feel. It reminds me of Sushi-Ko before the renovation. Have eaten there numerous times when I was one of the few non-Japanese customers. Aways a good sign, especially in Bethesda.

Have had two occasions at Tako Grill when the waitress had never heard of what I was ordering (natto, which while not popular in the US is common in Japan and uni).

On the other hand their tempura soft shell crabs are out of this world!