• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanzell Comes Clean on TCA

Craig Camp

• 3 weeks later...

Gallo of Sonoma tainted too. Laube's on a roll.

I was talking about Hanzell to one of the workers (clerks? what do you call them?) at a local wine store the other day, and she said basically: it's their own fault. Implying that it's long been known that chlorine is the culprit and they were too lazy (or maybe cheap) to replace it with a better cleaning solution. (I don't know if this is true, but she was pretty adamant).

It is so very unsuprising to me that anyone connected with anything would admit to something being corked. I have seen the nostrils magnified and enlarged in a giant riedel glass of something insisting the non corkines of it all- "good" wineries prey on the fact that you will not insist upon a retaste from vintage to vintage.

This is imperative!

never let yourself believe that "they make good wine every year"

the proof is in the pudding. Do not let anyone bully you out of it! Demand it from your wine merchant. demand it from your suppliers.

If it does not feel right just say no!

over it

Leave it to Randall Graham to jump into the fray in a big way. I received a box in the mail this week. Opening it, it looked like a large cigar box. Inside I found a bottle of wine, some strange things and a press kit. The box contained one bottle of Cigare Volante with a SCREWCAP, a "standard issue Martian ray gun", a cootie catcher, a vial of patchouli oil and a vial of TCA 2,4,6 in liquid form. The press kit included essays and tasting notes from a variety of people. CV will henceforth be bottled "en screwcap". Clever, that guy.

Mark

The box contained one bottle of Cigare Volante with a SCREWCAP, a "standard issue Martian ray gun", a cootie catcher, a vial of patchouli oil and a vial of TCA 2,4,6 in liquid form. The press kit included essays  and tasting notes from a variety of people. CV will henceforth be bottled "en screwcap".

Saw this at a local wine store. Very cool. Incidentally, it's not just Cigare, it's all Bonny Doon wines as of the 2002 vintage.

Don't know about that standard issue Martian ray gun--Martians must have small hands. Wonder how they can hold the bottle?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.