• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Athens

Busboy

Joanna Kakissis in Sunday's NYT has an article on 36 Hours Athens mentioning the craze for Cretian food at Alatsi, plus the bars Galaxy, Nixon, Bios, Soul + Bo and restos: Sofia's Valaoritou, Varoulko, Sardelles, Plous Podila + Ammos.

I just got back from Athens and gave Alatsi a try. When I arrived at 9:15 the place was empty. It's large and seems sort of modern/trendy. When I told them I didn't have reservations, I thought they were just shoving me off to eat in the bar because i was a single diner. But sure enough by 9:45 the place was packed. And, incidentally, the bar was a fine place to eat - the counter was large enough, there are a couple of extra large chairs with backs at one end and the waitstaff were still attentive.

I'm not sure of the actual greek names of my orders because they only had one menu and it was all in Greek so the waiter had to run from table to table with it. However, don't take this as an indication that it's a quaint and tiny little restaurant - they were just in the process of reprinting the menus. I started with stuffed grape leaves that were excellent. Followed by a potato and pork dish that was amazingly tender. Both were very good. The bill - with two courses and two drinks for one person came to 40 Euros exactly. The bartender offered me a digestif on the house following the meal. I was happy with the meal and thought it worth the price.

I also checked out the Galaxy Bar at the Hilton mentioned in the article (which is across the street from this restaurant) on another night. The article mentions the great view and expensive drinks. Maybe I'm jaded - I thought the view was fine, but I wasn't blown away. The drinks were very nice, but I'm not sure how expensive as someone bought mine for me and I figured it would be rude to pick up the bill at look at te price after that. I'd say, it's an okay stop - but not a MUST for a drink if the prices are really that high.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 1 year later...

We are going to be in Athens for two nights in June, staying on the edge of Plaka. Haven't been there in thirty years. We'd like to try some "new" Greek food. We are happy to go to other districts - Kolonaki, etc. - to do so, not as far as Kifissia, though. Ideas?

• 8 months later...

Heading to athens for 4 nights in a couple of weeks - any recent recommendations would be great - specifically midrange would be great - also bars etc would be helpful too and food markets..... ooh so many questions, egulleters help me out PLEASE!!!!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Not much recent activity on Athens it seems - but if anybody reading this has been to Kollias Seafood Tavern at its new location, some feedback would be appreciated.

For many years some of the best fish in Athens (or anywhere else for that matter) was assured at the old Piraeus premises - it's now at Leoforos Singrou and I'm wondering if everything is still the same before I bring a group of professional friends there.

I don't get to Athens that often and re-visiting somewhere on the basis of good memories carries some risk - especially if time and a change of premises have had their impact. The old website, which was quirky, artistic and creative (and all unremittingly in Greek) now looks a bit like any well designed restaurant website with fairly standard bilingual explanations and the poetry seems to have gone.