• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tan_cl

Asian-style "soft" breads

27 posts in this topic

Quality is quality trillium--it either tastes good or it doesn't--and sure you'll find interesting cheaper things in asian snack shops and all sorts of Chowhound-approved dives but you didn't actually say Wow Bao wasn't delicious.  I've never been to Portland (that's pdx?) and it doesn't surprise me you like Sun Snack shop.  My point is Wow Bao brings accessibility and a fair price to something vastly underappreciated--who hasn't had kung pao chicken, but a steamed bun?--and yet tastes damn good despite that process of trying to appeal more overtly to a mainstream audience, which includes a drop-dead beautiful, gleaming, spotless, impeccably-designed kitchen and store front.  Hi-rent location plus design plus packaging costs more money.  But I think Bruce has also proved it doesn't have to taste any less delicious.  He's going to introduce many people to something they weren't even aware they wanted until he introduced it to them. And later, after being wowed by bao here, some yuppie you're looking down on just might be a little more willing to try that not-so-strange-anymore steamed bun with lap cheung at some out of the way snack shop as well--under the el, in pdx or in Shanghai.

And just like Starbucks has helped raise awareness of espresso, and helped create a better climate where artisinal roasters and small cafes who do a better job can also thrive--if Wow Bao were to hit it just might allow more people in pdx to appreciate that bun you like, and the owners of that shop to raise their prices ever so and send their kids to a better college or remodel.

I'm going to stay out of the whole "exportation of a particular thing from one culture into another purely for profit can be good for the original culture" question. I still haven't decided how I feel about Elvis, so I can't really move on to bao, as much as I think every stance is more interesting if there are equal and opposite polemicists contributing to the discussion. I can say how I felt about the bao. The bread part of the bun was perfectly acceptable. Some people hold that the best are ultra-white and super, super fluffy, and these don't fall into that catagory, which is fine with me, I like a little chewiness. I had the char siu (bbqed pork) and kung pao chicken fillings. I thought both fillings relied too much on a sweetish, cornstarch thickened sauce. The kung pao needed more of a roast chilli and vinegar flavor, it was too sweet and gloppy for its namesake, but it did have a nice ginger zing like good kung pao does. I like char siu fillings to be less saucy and have a more pronounced bbqed taste, but this one fell within the acceptable spectrum of styles. I thought both fillings tasted too similiar. On a positive note, it's very unlikely that you'd get a bao at Wow Bao that has gristley bits of meat in it as can happen when you're at a snack shop that isn't very good.

Would I call them delicious? It depends on how hungry I was. For quick and cheap on Michigan Ave, If I couldn't go to the Fontano's or Pizza Capri or other trucks outside of Northwestern, or have a bowl of soup at Heaven on Seven or a hotdog, or have the time to go further south to a cabbie joint, then yes, I might buy them again for a snack.

regards,

trillium

edit for spelling

Edited by trillium (log)

No need to apologize; I hope I didn't sound rude. 

No worries! :rolleyes:

Since ya'll seem to be on the subject of paos...the focus seem to be on the filling, but I'm interested to know, how's the pao itself? A good pao should not "stick to the teeth".

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By borgr
      I want to leave my sourdough (itself, not baked loaves of sourdough bread) for a while (going abroad) but I do not want it to die, can I leave it in the freezer? do you have other ideas?
    • By hazardnc
      Having no local Arabic bakery, I have long hoped to learn to make good khoubz at home. Every time I try, however, my bread is too stiff and tough. I have been successfully making other breads using The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and now wonder if my bread woule benefit from an overnight ferment in the refrigerator.
      FoodMan (and anyone) can you help me?
    • By FrogPrincesse
      San Diego has a small number of artisanal bread bakeries. Bread & Cie has been my favorite for years, and their breads are now available in many supermarkets, which is very convenient. But it's nice to have some variety. So I was excited to spot a new bakery this weekend in Linda Vista. It's called Pacific Time and it is also a sandwich place with a small market with things like small-batch preserves, local beers, a cheese counter, charcuterie platters, and wine. It's located within a recently renovated strip mall that also hosts Brew Mart & Ballast Point.

The bread I bought was a French-type rustic boule, dark, a bit reminiscent of Poilane but less dense. The crust could have been a little more crispy (it felt like the bread had sat around a little bit and softened in the paper bag), but the flavor was wonderful.

Here is the bread:

• By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.
    • By Chris Hennes
      The folks behind Modernist Cuisine have announced a projected publication date of March 2017 for their new five-volume set on bread (previously discussed here). Start saving up now!