• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY News: El Maguey Y La Tuna

NY News Team

There's a rumor that there's no such thing as a good Mexican restaurant in New York. I would never know the difference, having never been south of the Texas border. El Maguey is one of those little unassuming places that claims to be as close to authentic Mexican as possible, which may or may not be true, but with its red lights and colorful table cloths the place definitely has charm. As for the food, the mole over pork ordered by my friends were proclaimed as "out of this world" and my shrimp fajita was sizzling and tasty. Also, came highly recommended from friends were the spicy nacho with chorizo and the shrimp cocktails, which went well with the nice cold negra modelo. El Maguey Y La Tuna may not be genuine Mexican, but it's still pretty damn good.--Y. Yang

El Maguey Y La Tuna

321 East Houston Street

Telephone: (212)473-3744

eGullet.com NY News Team

nynews@egullet.org with press releases, news reports, and food-biz gossip

i still think that mexicana mama on hudson street has the best burritos ever, my friend, who happens to be mexican says that they are pretty damn good too:)

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I had lunch there a week ago and it was just ok. I had a beef burrito. and my fiance had an avocado salad. I live only a few blocks away so I was crossing my fingers that it would be a worthy stop. I may try it again, but I have to say if they can't do a simple beef burrito... Why can't somebody open up a good taqueria in this town? damn.

I was just in California this weekend and had a fish taco that was excellent. Not even a tacqueria but some random cafe in Mendocino. the flavors are fresh and bright. The salsa excellent pico de gallo, the beans : black and tasty, the rice fine. Guacamole. hit the spot. and fresh corn tortilla's.

then search continue's