• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Night Atlanta

davebr

After getting screwed over from hotwire.com, I wont land in Atlanta until 11:30pm on thursday. Where is a cool place to eat and drink at that time?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

well there's the buckhead diner out that way - most of the rest of buckhead at that hour is clubs and bars.

there is a greasy drunk-food shack right near the havana club, but i wouldn't recommend it as good eats.

i think theres a taco mac close by too - the diner is pretty good tho. oh there's also an ihop.

i'm figuring by the time you touchdown, get your bags and get up there it will probalby be after midnight right?

backstreets always open and pouring and they have the added benefit of tuna in their vending machines - something else i wouldn't recommend. they're also in midtown so that doesn't help much.

eleven50 might be a possibility - that' smidtown too - but i believe they've got a tapas bar? as well.

http://atlanta.citysearch.com/best/results/8496/

here ya go - my picks would be vortex ( burgers and tater tots :wub: ) close at 1:45am

ok cafe - there sweet potato is to die for close at midnight i think

and the landmark diner (not the buckhead diner - this was hte one i was thinking of) open 24/7

another one on their list is Atkin's park - i haven't been to the one in-town, but the satellite out in the burbs is pretty good.

Edited by tryska (log)

Atkins Park would be my vote for decent food late (they serve until something like 3:00 or 3:30 am), but it's in Virginia Highland, so a definite cab ride unless you've rented a car. There are also lots of Asian places out Buford Highway that do quite late hours, but again it's a hike.

Buckhead's a pretty big area (because any place that's even close will describe itself as having a Buckhead location, even if it's not really Buckhead), so I'd probably call the hotel concierge and explain your dilemma. Once you have names of places from him/her, post them here and we'll tell you whether we can recommend them or not.

Can you pee in the ocean?

here's another one that i've never heard of.....

http://www.bucketshopcafe.com/menupage.htm

also cafe intermezzo in buckhead stays open with club hours...i think it's hip but i don't really know anyone that goes there.

there's also the elbow room: http://elbowroombuckhead.com/location.html

fado's irish pub - for pub food (club hours)

fellini's pizza is open til 2-ish....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! Is it too late for my input? The Highlander Pub (@ Monroe and Virginia) is open later than any other place I can think of (other than WH and The Majestic) and their food is goooooooooooooooood. Pitchers of perfect tater tots - yum.

• 3 weeks later...

If he lands at 11:30 pm, by the time he gets his car and luggage and gets checked in, you're looking at 1 am.

I'm afraid you're looking at IHOP, my friend.

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

I will be staying in Buckhead.

Buckhead Diner, definitely. One the of the best restaurants in the area.

BTW buckhead diner is a "diner" as much as The French Laundry is a "laundry" if you catch my drift. Its a really fun and inventive restaurant with a Diner/Americana motif. I've eaten there and the food is very good.

http://www.buckheaddiner.com/buckheaddiner/index.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Buckhead Diner will not be open at that late hour.

Fado would definitely be an option. The official Fado website is a bit difficult to navigate. The local AccessAtlanta blurb may be viewed at:

AccessAtlanta page for Fado

In any case the trip has surely occurred by now. Where did the original poster dine?

Can you pee in the ocean?