• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Better Writing

Russ,

Thanks for being so generous with your time here. I've really been enjoying this Q & A.

I've been a freelance writer for more than 20 years, and while I can crank out the copy, I still find writing 800 words I can feel good about is hard work. I think part of it is that I'm a better writer than I used to be. But I know there is room for improvement.

How do you encourage your writers to do better work?

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Jim,

It sounds to me like you're on the right track. If I ever found it easy to write 800 words I felt good about, I'd know for sure I wasn't reading myself carefully enough. There are no shortcuts or quick tips. The obvious is, unfortunately, true. Read a lot and when you find something you like, re-read. Try to figure out what it was you liked and how they made it work. Take it a part like a kid with a toy and try to put it back together in different ways and see if it works the same. Write all the time. Even when you're not writing. I thought one of the benefits of working from home most of the time would be that my wife and I could meet for lunch. Not while I'm working. She got tired of me starting into space while she was talking to me. Above all, be ruthless with yourself. That's the only way you'll honestly know when you do do something right.

rp