• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your science background and interest

wally1

No, I don't have a science background. This has been both a blessing and a curse. It's good because by the time I've had something explained clearly enough that I can understand it, co can almost any idiot over the age of 12. It's a curse because I have to work that much harder to get things right. Complicating it is the fact that science has a very precise language of its own and when trying to paint visual pictures to make things clear, you have to be very careful not to mis-characterize things in that other language.

If you're interested in this field, you should definitely read Hal McGee (after, of course, you read "French Fry"). But I found some of the most interesting things were done in food science back in the '30s and '40s when it still more closely reflected actual cooking rather than food technology. Look for some of the old texts by women like Belle Lowe and Pauline Palmer. I read everything they did before I even started to write "French Fry".