• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Cuisine and Atkins or Low Carb diets

Monica Bhide

I am doing some research and could really use some assistance. Are you on a lowcarb diet or on Atkins -- are you preparing any any Indian dishes.. PM me if you are upto doing a short interview with me

i am also looking for boards on Atkins in India and any other related materials.. would love your help

• Like 1

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Maybe you ought to interview the likes of Marion Nestle (ex Chair of the Dept. of Nutrition & Food Studies at NYU) and Carol Guber (Well respected expert on Diabetes, author, foodie, womens rights advocate and Diabetes foundation spokesperson and nutritionist) on what this diet really does or does not do.

Any research or story would be largely biased and incomplete without the voices of experts that have spent great time learning about the diet and its nutritional effect on the human body.

All the best with your research Monica.:smile:

OOOPS! Should have logged out before I gave this lead to Monica! Not from the eGCI Team - just from me Anna N

Sorry Team!!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would refer to Dr Atkins New Carbohydrate Gram Counter and try and match or perhaps tweak Indian reciepes to my carb allowance. I think you can sucessfully practice low carb with meaty Indian cuisine, Vegetarians would have a tough time though and need to be very creative. As, as per most high protien low carb diets, you have to calculate your individual protien requirements and max carb levels, I do not think you can have a general ' one size fit all' approach.

Bhasin

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 12 years later...

Monica has a website Life of Spice.  You might try contacting her through that.   The last post however in this topic is almost 13 years old!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog