• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I put 'pop rocks'...

tan319

that is pretty cool, katie.

Thanks Herb.

Coming from you, I'll consider that high praise :cool:

is that to imply that i am skimpy on the compliments?

Not at all. Only that you have a highly developed and discriminating sense of what's cool. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yes you can, and I've eaten it at Le Champignon Sauvage and described the sensation in this article. However, I don't know exactly how the effect was achieved, only that the candy was incorporated in the brulee layer.

i knew i'd seen the idea somewhere on this site before!

edited for stupidity.

hmm...i wonder if you do a thin layer of poprocks, and then a heavier layer of sugar, and then torch that whether that will give the poprocks some shielding. they would still sort of activate from touching the creme part tho, i would think.

Edited by tryska (log)

Egads...

I had a teeny taste of my daughter's (she is 6) pop rocks bubblegum blizzard at dairy queen yesterday. Little did I know it had a gourmet cousin!

The blizzard was shocking pink and fizzy, scary to me, divine to her.

I made eyeball cookies one year in my post college "look I have a kitchen now" days. Balls of peanut butter no cook cookie dough dipped in white chocolate and decorated with m&m irises and red gel "veins". Nothing compared to that kitty box cake though, ugh!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

hmm...i wonder if you do a thin layer of poprocks, and then a heavier layer of sugar, and then torch that whether that will give the poprocks some shielding.  they would still sort of activate from touching the creme part tho, i would think.

Maybe a sammige of brule, rocks, brule...?

hmm...i wonder if you do a thin layer of poprocks, and then a heavier layer of sugar, and then torch that whether that will give the poprocks some shielding.  they would still sort of activate from touching the creme part tho, i would think.

Maybe a sammige of brule, rocks, brule...?

brilliant - that could work.

Try this recipe instead:

Made this with my class last week and we had a great time. Wish I had taken a picture......

Make a batch of Rice Krispie treats (You could put pop rocks in the treats?)

Spray plastic gloves with non-stick spray. Make sure the gloves you use do not have powder in them!

Put the R. K. treats into the gloves, making sure that all the fingers are full.

Let R.K.'s cool.

Cut glove open to reveal a Rice Krispie treat in the shape of a hand!

By The Way...there is a restaurant here in DC called MiniBar that does a 30 course meal.

One of the courses involves pop rocks, but I couldn't tell you how.

Try this recipe instead:

Made this with my class last week and we had a great time. Wish I had taken a picture......

Make a batch of Rice Krispie treats (You could put pop rocks in the treats?)

Spray plastic gloves with non-stick spray. Make sure the gloves you use do not have powder in them!

Put the R. K. treats into the gloves, making sure that all the fingers are full.

Let R.K.'s cool.

Cut glove open to reveal a Rice Krispie treat in the shape of a hand!

By The Way...there is a restaurant here in DC called MiniBar that does a 30 course meal.

One of the courses involves pop rocks, but I couldn't tell you how.

Why does this remind me of The Addams Family?

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com