• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I put 'pop rocks'...

tan319

Candy Corn with chocolate chips in a brulee might be cool though. Maybe use some orange food coloring in the custard too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That would look so much like vomit brulee it wouldn't be funny, unless you were a kid, in which case it would be hilarious.

Yes, that was my line of thinking.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

If I was one of those kids I would be thinking, why can't you keep you creamy bruley to youselves and just give us the candy.

I think that the pop rocks only works out if mixed in just before serving since they start popping away as soon as they hit moisture.

What happens if you blowtorch a layer of pop rocks? Will it melt into a pop rock crust? Will the sizzle part still work?

Try this recipe instead:

Kitty Litter Cake Recipe

kittylitter.jpg

It's a cake that looks like a USED kitty litter box. Brilliant execution of a truly bent idea!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

that is pretty cool, katie.

Thanks Herb.

Coming from you, I'll consider that high praise :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Actually, I had a great meal at "Les Magnolias" in Le Perreux sur Marne outside of Paris. He was compared by Patricia Wells as being similar in what he is doing now, to what Gagnaire was doing in the '80's . One of his starters had pop-rocks in it, but pop rocks in it's pure form, without flavor, just the exploding sensation. Can't remember the rest of the dish, but here's the site: Les Magnolias

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Try this recipe instead:

Kitty Litter Cake Recipe

kittylitter.jpg

It's a cake that looks like a USED kitty litter box.  Brilliant execution of a truly bent idea!

Maybe you could put Pop Rocks in the Kitty Litter cake. When they start popping in the kids' mouths, you can say that the kitty had worms and the pop rocks are live worms that came through in the poop.

If you're going to be disgusting, why not go all out?

Re:

Vomit looking creme brulee.

That's sounds like something the kids would like.

I had a suggestion to make it "booger-ish".

I like the idea of spinkling it with the 'rocks though.

Thank's for all the input.

2317/5000

Yes you can, and I've eaten it at Le Champignon Sauvage and described the sensation in this article. However, I don't know exactly how the effect was achieved, only that the candy was incorporated in the brulee layer.

Fascinating.

Try this recipe instead:

Kitty Litter Cake Recipe

kittylitter.jpg

It's a cake that looks like a USED kitty litter box.  Brilliant execution of a truly bent idea!

Maybe you could put Pop Rocks in the Kitty Litter cake. When they start popping in the kids' mouths, you can say that the kitty had worms and the pop rocks are live worms that came through in the poop.

If you're going to be disgusting, why not go all out?

Claire is soooo smart.