• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

evaporated milk

torakris

Quiche!

Beat 1 cup of the evaporated milk with three eggs, add flavoring like dijon mustard, pour over the sauteed meat/veggies/herbs of your choice in a prebaked pie crust. Add cheese if you like. Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes. Yum.

Aside: I think the secret to having smoothly melting cheeses is to buy European. After several very disapointing fondues I finally realized that it was the country of origin of the cheese that made the difference. I'm not sure why.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

My mom's Christmas fudge recipe calls for a can of evaporated milk.

Mmmm...fudge. :wub:

No fudge. Pork loin roast with a sauce of porcini, shallots, rosemary and evapo milk.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My mom's Christmas fudge recipe calls for a can of evaporated milk.

Mmmm...fudge. :wub:

No fudge. Pork loin roast with a sauce of porcini, shallots, rosemary and evapo milk.

Well, when carolers would come calling at Christmastime, my mom would give them all cookies, fudge & hot chocolate.

I suppose giving out pork loin would be the Atkins-thing to do. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use evaporated milk for my flan (creme caramel) recipe, it definitely works better than real milk or half and half. The flan just has a denser, more creamy consistency, due to the low water content of evaporated milk. The recipe is very simple, and other than eggs, only uses ingredients from your pantry.

Ingredients

For the flan:

-2 cans evaporated milk

-4 eggs

-2/3 cups sugar

-1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the caramel:

-2/3 cups sugar

-A little water

Preparation:

Make a caramel by heating 2/3 cups of sugar in a saucepan, adding just a little water. Heat the caramel until it reaches a nice deep brown color. You have to stop before it smokes and becomes black, else it will be too bitter. Poor the caramel in the baking dish you are using for the flan, and be sure to line the entire bottom of the dish. Let the caramel cool until it becomes hard.

In a sauce pan, heat up the two cans of milk and mix in the sugar and vanilla. In a mixing bowl, beat the four eggs. When the milk is just starting to give off a little steam, pour the milk slowly into the eggs, stirring the mixture at the same time. Then pour the mixture into the baking dish that has the hardened caramel at the bottom.

Bake in a 350F oven in a water bath (i.e. put the original baking dish in a larger dish filled with water). Bake for 45 min if your flan is 2 inches thick, 1 hour for thicker flans. When the top of the flan is solid to the touch (it will feel a bit like soft jello), remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few hours (you can cover it if you want). Once it's cool to the touch, put it the fridge for a few hours (overnight is fine if you want to prepare this a day ahead of time).

At serving time, use a thin knife to loosen the edges of the flan, and then turn in upside down onto a large plate. The caramel will have melted and will give off a fair amount of syrup, so make sure your plate is large enough.

Voila!

• 5 years later...

I have just rediscovered evaporated milk, which was always a staple in my house growing up. My mother grew up in the north of Canada, so fresh milk was generally unavailable. Evaporated milk always went into tea of coffee in my house. I picked up a couple of tins at the shop this week, since I don't drink fresh milk myself, but often have a need for milk for cooking. When I buy a small milk and leave it in the fridge it invariably goes off before I can use it all. I also chronically forget to buy milk when guests visit, and have nothing to offer them for their tea or coffee. It's great to see I can use it in soups and the like. This morning I made pancakes with it, and they yielded really beautifully light cakes with a gorgeous golden colour. What I'd like to know is - once I've opened a can, how long will it last in the fridge?

I have just rediscovered evaporated milk, which was always a staple in my house growing up. My mother grew up in the north of Canada, so fresh milk was generally unavailable. Evaporated milk always went into tea of coffee in my house. I picked up a couple of tins at the shop this week, since I don't drink fresh milk myself, but often have a need for milk for cooking. When I buy a small milk and leave it in the fridge it invariably goes off before I can use it all. I also chronically forget to buy milk when guests visit, and have nothing to offer them for their tea or coffee. It's great to see I can use it in soups and the like. This morning I made pancakes with it, and they yielded really beautifully light cakes with a gorgeous golden colour. What I'd like to know is - once I've opened a can, how long will it last in the fridge?

It IS milk, so not forever. But in my experience, much longer than regular fresh milk. Maybe even as much as a month. But if you have any doubts, it's pretty easy to just put a little on the end of your finger and taste it.

You can freeze it as well. Does change the consistency a bit, but if you're going to cook with it, that doesn't really matter.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.