• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pulling out a plum

kpurvis

A "friend" has given me a very large bottle of plum wine, which was given to him by his favorite Chinese restaurant owner. What on earth do I do with a giant bottle of plum wine? Once I crack the seal, I certainly won't be able to drink it that fast. Any suggestions?

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

there are many cake recipes that call for alcohol (dessert type wines), just replace with plum wine if you're in the mood to bake.

sauce is good as is a soaking syrup for said cake.

an easy granita (there's a lot of sugar in plum wine, so you may need to adjust with some sort of unsweetened complementary fruit juice).

etc. ad nauseum (and that's only after attempting to drink the entire bottle yourself!) :biggrin:

A "friend" has given me a very large bottle of plum wine, which was given to him by his favorite Chinese restaurant owner. What on earth do I do with a giant bottle of plum wine? Once I crack the seal, I certainly won't be able to drink it that fast. Any suggestions?

When in Rome, so to speak.....Try it in a sauce for a stir fry.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks, all. Those are some great ideas. And since I just finished writing a story on cutting up duck, I just happen to have five or six duck breasts laying around in the freezer. I feel a glaze coming on . . . :wub:

Mix it with equal parts of sake for a great drink -- called a Kamakaze (?).

If you can still get fresh plums, do a stiry fry with chicken breast, snow peas, plum slices and slices of sweet onion. Use the plum wine in the marinade for the chicken and for a sauce, with a little hoisin and rice vinegar.

Thanks, all. Those are some great ideas. And since I just finished writing a story on cutting up duck, I just happen to have five or six duck breasts laying around in the freezer. I feel a glaze coming on . . .

Excellent. Are we all invited to dinner?

Bruce

Don't waste it on cooking.

Drink it, straight up, .......

Yes indeed, you'll find that bottle gone in no time - and you too. :biggrin:

Great stuff.

Oh dear. This reminds me of a memorable night in Martinez, California. With some dear friends, we went to a wonderful Chinese restaurant for dinner. Our host knew the owners very well. At the end of the meal, we started sampling various plum wines. Delicious stuff. But deadly. The hangover was memorable. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks, all. Those are some great ideas. And since I just finished writing a story on cutting up duck, I just happen to have five or six duck breasts laying around in the freezer. I feel a glaze coming on . . .

Bruce

Varmint filled our state quota for hospitality for a while! (I'm in Charlotte, N.C. Sadly had to miss the big pig-picking because of an unavoidable camping trip with my son's Scout troop.)

Bruce

Varmint filled our state quota for hospitality for a while! (I'm in Charlotte, N.C. Sadly had to miss the big pig-picking because of an unavoidable camping trip with my son's Scout troop.)

Yeah, and Kathi's making up for her absence by bringing the duck breasts up to Raleigh and cooking for me, right Kathi?? :wink::raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Bruce

Yeah, and Kathi's making up for her absence by bringing the duck breasts up to Raleigh and cooking for me, right Kathi?? :wink::raz:

Aw, Dean. You know I'm your fowl weather friend.

The trick is not to drink it, but to cook with it.

. . . And that brings us back to doe, a deer, a female deer. . .

Tidiest ending to a thread I've seen on the site. Thanks, all.