• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Cuisine

Russ, I am a huge fan of your work. Thanks for taking part in this Q&A. You honesty in answering the questions is quite inspiring.

I am curious as to your opinion about Indian cuisine here in the States. It seems to be gaining popularity -- do you think it will ever be as popular as, say, Chinese food is here?

Have you ever traveled to India? What were your impressions?

Thank you

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi Monica,

I'm a big fan of Indian cuisine (or cuisines), but I am almost wholly ignorant about them. In that sense, I'm probably like most other American eaters in that I have one or two places that I love to go and though I'm curious about what else is out there, I really haven't gotten around to educating myself about it (big world, lots of cuisines, one lifetime). In Southern California, I've been lucky to have been blessed with two very good south Indian vegetarian restaurants, one now closed. The one that's still open is called Woodside and it's in Artesia (Little India). As you exit Pioneer Blvd off the 91, it's in that first shopping center on the left.

As far as the popularity of Indian food growing ... I'm not much of a forecaster. Chinese food does have about a 100-year headstart on it in this country. And I'm not sure I'd wish what has become of most Chinese restaurants on anybody.