• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supermarket strike

Unfortunately, this is the reality of the world today. Employees are being forced to pay more and more for healthcare, because the whole health care system is screwed up.

While I do understand that employers cannot be responsible for all of the cost of healthcare, it's sad that the next generation of workers will be essentially making less money than we did. Things are supposed to get better, not worse? Right?

As someone who has also been on strike, things are never the same when you go back to work and probably never will be. Especially a strike as tough as this, where the union essentially caved.

I definitely agree, the union didn't have a good strategy ... It's all very sad to me.

• 3 years later...

Brace yourselves...

The results of the vote is in:

"Results from grocery strike vote due Monday"

Union employees have authorized the union to call for a strike, if necessary.

On March 19, the union and Albertson's, as well as bargainers representing the Vons and Ralphs stores, approved a contract extension. Contracts with the stores initially expired on March 5. The extension, which expires midnight April 9, offers more time to reach agreements....

The grocery worker's strike two years ago was focused on Von's but spread to the other two (Ralph's and Albertson's) when they locked out union employees.

This strike, if it happens, is supposed to be against just Albertson's but could spread if the same lock-out tactics occur.

The last grocery worker's strike completely changed my grocery shopping habits. There's a Von's just down the block from me and I've only stepped foot in it two or three times since the strike. I now do the majority of my shopping in a non-"Big Three" grocery store chain and haven't missed them a bit.

Ralph's, where I did quite a bit of grocery shopping, closed all their stores in this area so they're no longer a factor here.

If there's another strike, will you cross the picket lines? Or will you do your grocery shopping elsewhere?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If there's another strike, will you cross the picket lines? Or will you do your grocery shopping elsewhere?

Good question!

Last time I was living in San Diego and my office was right by a Vons that I shopped at most nights on my way home, so I knew the workers well. No way I'd cross the picket line.

I changed my shopping habits, too----spent much more food dollars at Trader Joe's and Henry's. I rarely shop Vons now, even though it was my favorite (I think their prices went WAY up, and they showed no interest in winning back previous clients.)

It is hard to see how ANYONE in the last strike won, with such massive financial losses for the parent companies and crappy benefits after the fact for the employees.

I'd still support the workers, even though I don't live there anymore and don't know the ones here.

K

the last strike was a colossal miscalculation by the groceries involved (IMHO). they lost millions of dollars, alienated their workers, in some cases were slapped with hefty fines for cheating, and drove many of their loyal customers into the arms of their competitors (TJ, WF, Bristol Farms). when it was all said and done, they did get a two-tier benefit system, but that is far short of what they were aiming for.

the last strike was a colossal miscalculation by the groceries involved (IMHO). they lost millions of dollars, alienated their workers, in some cases were slapped with hefty fines for cheating, and drove many of their loyal customers into the arms of their competitors (TJ, WF, Bristol Farms). when it was all said and done, they did get a two-tier benefit system, but that is far short of what they were aiming for.

I completely agree that it was a giant miscalculation on the part of the chains. They lost big time.

And isn't it ironic that, according to the last paragraph of the linked article, one of the sticking points in the current contract negotiations is that the union wants to do away with the previously agreed to two-tier pay system?

The article also mentioned that Albertson's is working with a Federal mediator to come up with a suitable contract. Is this Federal intervention normal for such contract negotiations? Or is this an indication that the two sides may be so far apart (hence the deadline extension) that the Feds had to step in?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The article also mentioned that Albertson's is working with a Federal mediator to come up with a suitable contract. Is this Federal intervention normal for such contract negotiations?  Or is this an indication that the two sides may be so far apart (hence the deadline extension) that the Feds had to step in?

I think that everyone lost during and after the last grocery contract fiasco. Maybe they just want it mediated from the start.

Personally, I don't often shop big chains. I hit local Asian and Mexican stores. The union action didn't and won't affect my shopping habits.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

Call me crazy, but other than seeing picket lines at my local stores as I passed by, I was completely unaffected by the strike. We shop at small & independently owned stores, a local butcher, Whole Foods, and our local farmer's market. Whatever happens, I'll remain unaffected as usual.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Since for the most part, this topic has strayed far from the original subject of how supermarket strikes affect shopping habits, we're closing it.

Thanks for participating.