• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lipton iced tea vs. soda

KateW

I love Coke. Love it. However, I've noticed that 2 of my girlfriends who drink Coke all day (roughly 2-4 cans per day) have awfully grody teeth, so that's enough to keep me from drinking more than 2-3 cans per WEEK. Gotta keep these pearly whites in good shape, ya know! :biggrin:

I'm not shilling for the soda industry, but correlation does not prove causation (especially with a sampling of two subjects) so I'd imagine that there's a good chance that their grody teeth have nothing to do with 2-4 cans a day. Or it might.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

A cup of your own salivia would do exactly the same thing.

Isn't that what saliva was scientifically formulated to do? Start the breakdown of food substances while simultaneously protecting the teeth, that is? Who invented that stuff anyway?

Edited by hillbill (log)

Although I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy, I did an inadvertant experiment on the deteriorating factors of soda back in 1978 at the age of 10. I was drinking soda out of a cup and had a lollypop. I had to go do something so I placed the lollypop into the cup of soda. When I returned the lollypop had been eaten away by the soda and all that was left was the stick.

Um... You could have done that with tap water, bottled water, milk, beer, wine, sulphuric acid, or the blue stuff in the portajohns as well. The sugar dissolved in liquid. It does that.

If the stick had disappeared, then we'd be talking....

OK, I was 10 when I did this. I didn't know about scientific methodology at that age.

What I do know is that it freaked me out to the extent that I drink very little soda 25 years later. :wacko:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I love Coke. Love it. However, I've noticed that 2 of my girlfriends who drink Coke all day (roughly 2-4 cans per day) have awfully grody teeth, so that's enough to keep me from drinking more than 2-3 cans per WEEK. Gotta keep these pearly whites in good shape, ya know! :biggrin:

I'm not shilling for the soda industry, but correlation does not prove causation (especially with a sampling of two subjects) so I'd imagine that there's a good chance that their grody teeth have nothing to do with 2-4 cans a day. Or it might.

I have no willpower, so I'm CONVINCING myself that I will have grody teeth if I don't limit my soda intake.

:rolleyes:

Sherri A. Jackson

I have no willpower, so I'm CONVINCING myself that I will have grody teeth if I don't limit my soda intake.

:rolleyes:

Close your eyes and count backwards slowly from 100.

Now repeat after me:

I will have grody teeth if I don't limit my soda intake.

When I snap my fingers, you will awake feeling refreshed and calm.

You will remember nothing about this experience, yet you will never again have a problem limiting your soda intake.

SNAP!

I never really got into the soda thing because I really don't like sweet drinks that much. I do like diet Coke ok because it isn't as sweet. You get used to it.

I did get hooked on LaCroix sparkling water in the cans, though. When it is hot out, I like something with the carbonated zing but not sweet. AH-HA! Beer! Well, too much of that isn't good. Then I got onto LaCroix since that is what they would serve on Continental flights when I would ask for sparkling water. Great stuff. It has a little different fizz that I find nice.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

drink soda with a straw to have the stuff avoid your teeth as much as possible.  :unsure:

Yes, but in so doing, you also avoid most of your tongue, so why bother? :hmmm:

most of my tongue is situated behind my front teeth, which are the teeth that most people seem to see.

your mileage may vary.

drink soda with a straw to have the stuff avoid your teeth as much as possible.  :unsure:

Yes, but in so doing, you also avoid most of your tongue, so why bother? :hmmm:

most of my tongue is situated behind my front teeth, which are the teeth that most people seem to see.

your mileage may vary.

Eh. I figure, if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it RIGHT. None of this straw business for me. (where's the snooty icon?) I swirl the Coke around in my mouth, much like a fine wine, (and Coke is indeed a fine beverage) to get the full flavor of it. 'Tis far better to enjoy one Coke all swirled around in my mouth, than 3 Cokes pointlessly sucked back through a straw.

Case closed. I win. :raz:

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Sherri A. Jackson

Eh.  I figure, if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it RIGHT.  None of this straw business for me.  (where's the snooty icon?)  I swirl the Coke around in my mouth, much like a fine wine, (and Coke is indeed a fine beverage) to get the full flavor of it.  'Tis far better to enjoy one Coke all swirled around in my mouth, than 3 Cokes pointlessly sucked back through a straw.

Case closed.  I win.  :raz:

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

i have to admit that sometimes i put the straw up to my teeth and suck the soda right through the middle of my two front chompers.

• 2 weeks later...