• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shame shame shame, shame on minimarts and me

Fat Guy

how do you all feel about wearing the jackets they provide for the refrigerator room?

Everyone I bring there refuses to put them on, but it doesn't bother me.

yeah, this is off topic.

When they first opened I would put them on. Now, even though I get cold at 80 degrees, I'll run through sans jacket. I work that room like a speed demon - people in my way - watch out, I have no problems running over your toes. :shock:

I will admit that in the winter I put gloves on before I enter the room.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

When Laurie and I lived in NYC, it was in the Teachers College dorm on 121st, and our friendly RAs arranged a bus to the Harlem Fairway every Saturday morning. We went every week, and we always put on the jackets. The things I remember best are finding Red Hook ESB for $4.49 a six pack (here in Seattle, its homeland, it's was $6-$7 even then); the mountain of gargantuan sweet potatoes; the fresh mozzarella; and Fairway's unique bagging strategy. They would give us three times as many plastic bags as any other grocery, often putting a single can in one bag. Do they still do that?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I will admit that in the winter I put gloves on before I enter the room.

This summer, on a brutally hot day I went food shopping with a friend who was purchasing in bulk at Jetro (a food wholesaler.) He carried a jacket with him and I was wondering "what the heck?" but of course the reason was that Jetro has a huge refrigerated walk-in room.

Since I'm often too warm even when it's 70 degrees I was in heaven in the refrigerated room, even in shorts and T-shirt and I told my friend I was ready to move in. But I admitted to him that after about 15 minutes my exposed skin was feeling a little uncomfortable and my hands were getting numb.

I should have worn gloves along with the shorts and T-shirt.

BTW you can also experience that wonderful chill (in a smaller space) at Western Beef in the NYC area.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

They would give us three times as many plastic bags as any other grocery, often putting a single can in one bag. Do they still do that?

I think it's a NY thing. The packers seem to think that if they pack each bag lightly it will be easier to carry -- ignoring the fact that the total weight of the groceries will remain the same, only redistibuted.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oh, no, not only a NY thing: when we're in Florida, it drives me up a wall that they pack that way. :angry: I guess they figure you're going to schlep everything from your garage into your kitchen, and that you're too old and feeble to carry more than one light bag at a time.

But they DO pack that way at the Pathmark I go to, which makes it difficult to keep track when I'm having it delivered. Otherwise, I pack myself, with almost no bags whatsoever (shopping cart with liner).

Yes, I think if you live near the West 70s and 80s you're extremely lucky in terms of food-shopping options. Between Fairway, Zabar's, and Citarella you can beat the best suburban supermarkets (places like Wegmans) on both price and quality on just about any product other than paper goods and cereal (the bulky stuff), and of course you have access to a whole universe of products that are never seen outside the big cities and in some cases outside New York. We have nothing comparable on the Upper East Side. We do have Vingear Factory, Eli's, Agata & Valentina, a Citarella branch, Grace's, etc. -- we've got plenty of quality, no doubt about that -- but we don't have places that are priced in a particularly competitive manner when you look at Fairway and Zabar's as the benchmarks.

Agata & Valentina price wise beats my local D'agostino anytime. I can't believe what they'll charge for produce (bad produce, at that) at D'ag. I do get concerned when the displays at Agata start to get a little funky (I've seen roaches running all over the avocados).

But, nothing can really beat my vacation this summer at home in Hawaii. My mom sends me to the yard to pick avocados, starfruit, guava, lemons, pommelo, green onions, thai basil, habaneros, get the one egg from our lazy chickens...and whatever proteins we need we shop for on base (my dad is retired military). I can't believe how much money I spend on food here in NYC!!! Even with Fresh Direct...

By the way, don't tell me there's no impulse shopping when on-line! I end up buying just as much junk from Fresh Direct as I would otherwise :smile: .

They would give us three times as many plastic bags as any other grocery, often putting a single can in one bag. Do they still do that?

I think it's a NY thing. The packers seem to think that if they pack each bag lightly it will be easier to carry -- ignoring the fact that the total weight of the groceries will remain the same, only redistibuted.

I actually think double-bagging is the least wasteful. A single Plastic bag around a single paper bag, but with the bag packed to the top.

Those million and one little plastic bags just wind up polluting some closet anyway. Then, after you build up a few hundred of them you wind up tossing them. Not so great for the environment. At least I can reuse the paper-in-plastic thing to line a small garbage can then tie it off.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hi Steven,

Man this thread is all over the place. I have many of those outrageous prices stories, sadly. My worst? The dreaded flexible pricing. In EV/LES a certain market on the corner who watches what you're willing to spend and charges accordingly. They are used to yuppies just throwing down money and not noticing the register anyway. I've actually had him try and change prices on me because I've pulled out my money too readily. This behaviour is from cultures where haggling is part of the sale, I'm guessing.

"two fifty... oh oh I sorry, three fifty."

Besides, you know why it's high. Because they can. Because you'll still buy it. Or someone will. It's not priced so you, the one customer, won't say no. They don't @#$@! care if one person says forget it! - they set the pricing up and up until everyone is saying that. If only one person in ten walks away laughing, then that's the correct price. We know you'll be back. Or someone else will. We can wait.

Still there's some justification in paying $1.00 for one single onion... Well, like when it's 3am and it's literally under your window, and he'll still sell you beer when his coolers should be locked by law... (breaks into song: I LOVE NEW YORK)

Edited by lalmirch (log)