• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Wine Clip

docsconz

My personal philosophy is to try to keep an open mind to all things. I think this works very well in the world of food and wine. I have tried and liked some things that either I previously disliked (e.g. eggplant) or been surprised by others that either I expected to dislike and liked or expected to like and didn't. Do I think it likely that the wineclip will significantly enhance wine as claimed? No, I do not, however, I have yet to try it and stranger things have happened :wink: . Would I have spent money to buy it and try it? No way, however, when presented to me without cost, why not try it in a scientific fashion? What do any of us have to lose by trying it? One might say the quantity of wine in the glass poured through the wine clip, but I do not think it is any more likely to be ruined by the wine clip than enhanced by it. I'm looking forward to this. If nothing else, it will be fun to try it and at best we will have discovered a useful product. For anyone who feels that this is a waste of time (and it ultimately may be, albeit a small one), no one has forced anyone to try it or buy it or even participate in this thread.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My personal philosophy is to try to keep an open mind to all things. I think this works very well in the world of food and wine. I have tried and liked some things that either I previously disliked (e.g. eggplant) or been surprised by others that either I expected to dislike and liked or expected to like and didn't.

I completely agree, especially with regard to eggplant. Although with eggplant, liking or disliking varies considerably with preparation and execution.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Dennis, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that the testing results will be inconclusive at best.  So, I suggest you get hold of the marketing people at Trader Joe's and work out some deal whereby they sell a Clip for say a $1.99 to everybody who buys a case of Two Buck Chuck.  I think that's your niche.

Hollywood: Now that he's a Gov., I think you have a better chance filling in for Arnold in the next Terminator movie.

:huh:

Yeah, but I'd probably do a better job filling in for him as gov. And, I'm just trying to offer you a money making suggestion. Isn't this a profit thing? :unsure:

$1.99 + your advise = less than the cost of a subway ride. :wink:

I suggest you keep the $1.99 for acting lessons. Maybe you'll find your niche starring in a B-grade movie.

In the mean time, I'll stick to creating the business plans. :smile:

Is The Wine Clip afraid to take on Two Buck Chuck? Maybe you're right. Probably nothing can save that stuff. But candidly, I think the appeal of the Clip will turn out to be more that of a conversation piece (witness this thread) a la the Ouija Board than a serious wine improvement product. I'm just thinking you'd make a lot more $$$, selling a million at $1.99 plus whatever Trader Joe's might kick in than selling 47 at $4.99. Plus you'd get all the marketing thru the Fearless Flyer and in-store displays.

As for some proposed movie career, can't I just run the Clip over my DVDs and make my features A-Grade? God, wait till Dennis Woodruff gets this idea!

For starters, the cost of assembly and packaging is more than $1.99. That's more than you need to know but information that might help you disarm your strategy.

We're actually raising the price to $79. Yes, we're selling them! And I should note: we sell more in live forums (i.e. taste tests) than with any other marketing channel.

My personal philosophy is to try to keep an open mind to all things. I think this works very well in the world of food and wine. I have tried and liked some things that either I previously disliked (e.g. eggplant) or been surprised by others that either I expected to dislike and liked or expected to like and didn't. Do I think it likely that the wineclip will significantly enhance wine as claimed? No, I do not, however, I have yet to try it and stranger things have happened :wink: . Would I have spent money to buy it and try it? No way, however, when presented to me without cost, why not try it in a scientific fashion? What do any of us have to lose by trying it? One might say the quantity of wine in the glass poured through the wine clip, but I do not think it is any more likely to be ruined by the wine clip than enhanced by it. I'm looking forward to this. If nothing else, it will be fun to try it and at best we will have discovered a useful product. For anyone who feels that this is a waste of time (and it ultimately may be, albeit a small one), no one has forced anyone to try it  or buy it or even participate in this thread.

I'm going out on a limb here, but would guess that you're a "wine lover" and "a purest"...

Therefore, I'm not sure you're mentally prepared to accept The Wine Clip as a respectable accessory.

But I dare you to do this...

Invite some friends over, friends that aren't as wine savy as you. Ask them to try a glass of wine treated with the clip vs. one untreated. Watch their faces and watch the bottle(s) empty.

Then, when the holiday season comes, log on to www.thewineclip.com and buy it for them.

Maybe you won't buy it for yourself, but why not give someone else the joy of bitterless wine.

Plus, I'll send you a commission. :smile:

My personal philosophy is to try to keep an open mind to all things. I think this works very well in the world of food and wine. I have tried and liked some things that either I previously disliked (e.g. eggplant) or been surprised by others that either I expected to dislike and liked or expected to like and didn't. Do I think it likely that the wineclip will significantly enhance wine as claimed? No, I do not, however, I have yet to try it and stranger things have happened :wink: . Would I have spent money to buy it and try it? No way, however, when presented to me without cost, why not try it in a scientific fashion? What do any of us have to lose by trying it? One might say the quantity of wine in the glass poured through the wine clip, but I do not think it is any more likely to be ruined by the wine clip than enhanced by it. I'm looking forward to this. If nothing else, it will be fun to try it and at best we will have discovered a useful product. For anyone who feels that this is a waste of time (and it ultimately may be, albeit a small one), no one has forced anyone to try it  or buy it or even participate in this thread.

I'm going out on a limb here, but would guess that you're a "wine lover" and "a purest"...

Therefore, I'm not sure you're mentally prepared to accept The Wine Clip as a respectable accessory.

But I dare you to do this...

Invite some friends over, friends that aren't as wine savy as you. Ask them to try a glass of wine treated with the clip vs. one untreated. Watch their faces and watch the bottle(s) empty.

Then, when the holiday season comes, log on to www.thewineclip.com and buy it for them.

Maybe you won't buy it for yourself, but why not give someone else the joy of bitterless wine.

Plus, I'll send you a commission. :smile:

I'm not sure I understand the gist of your thread or perhaps you didn't fully understand mine. While I have my doubts about the claims for your product, I am absolutely willing to give it a fair shake and accept the results whatever they may be. I hope the results are favorable, because it is always good to have something that will enhance. That being said, I don't have a particular bias for or against the product. If it works great and my hat is off to you. If it doesn't then there is simply nothing gained. Why you are not sure if I am "mentally prepared to accept The Wine Clip as a respectable accessory" doesn't follow from anything I've ever written on this thread. If it works I am "mentally prepared" to accept it. If it doesn't so be it. I appreciate the opportunity to try it at esentially no risk. I am sceptical enough, however, that if there were significant financial risk to me I wouldn't try it.

While I appreciate the offer of a commission, that could be construed as an inducement to an evaluator and therefore I must decline :smile: I will evaluate the product fairly and report back the results of my tests, which will be done as scientifically sa I can in at least a single blind fashion.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

docs:

If everyone goes into this test with a level / unbiased mindset then I believe the truth comes out. Based on the comments I've read that seems like an unlikely event. Certain members of this thread will relish in the chance to SLAM the product.

Either way, sales are cranking and we're not even close to Xmas. :biggrin:

docs:

If everyone goes into this test with a level / unbiased mindset then I believe the truth comes out.  Based on the comments I've read that seems like an unlikely event.  Certain members of this thread will relish in the chance to SLAM the product. 

If the test itself is unbiased the subject's attitude makes little difference. The only thing that could screw up the results is if a subject does not report accurately, saying that there is no difference when one actually is perceived. I doubt that anyone who participates in these eGullet-related testings would do this no matter how skeptical s/he may be.

BTW, may I ask the reason for the hefty (58%) price increase?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

docs:

If everyone goes into this test with a level / unbiased mindset then I believe the truth comes out.  Based on the comments I've read that seems like an unlikely event.  Certain members of this thread will relish in the chance to SLAM the product. 

If the test itself is unbiased the subject's attitude makes little difference. The only thing that could screw up the results is if a subject does not report accurately, saying that there is no difference when one actually is perceived. I doubt that anyone who participates in these eGullet-related testings would do this no matter how skeptical s/he may be.

BTW, may I ask the reason for the hefty (58%) price increase?

We originally priced the product at $49 because our research showed that "gifts" priced in the $50 and less range sold best. However, this gift / product is extremely unique. (Let's face it, the product causes a stir - just read these threads as proof).

TWC is not a gimmic. Although I've played a role in the sarcasm on these threads, I am serious about the product. It works! I would not invest my time, money or reputation on a hokus pokus product.

With that said and based on what I've seen with our live taste tests, TWC should be priced above the average gift. Why?

(a) It works

(B) It is unique

© The results are instantaneous

(D) The packaging is stylish

(E) It's warranty lasts a lifetime

(F) My gut says sell it for more and I'm the boss

(G) Wine drinkers / buyers are typically in a higher income bracket and can afford it

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by thewineclip (log)

We're actually raising the price to $79.

:laugh:

$79????

Now I'm with NeroW.

I want a wine clip! :angry:

SethG, we're not going to get one.

:sad:

72 hours before the price increase. get it now for $49

www.thewineclip.com

*hey, if you don't like it you can always return it for a refund

:biggrin:

I tried my wineclip for the first time last night at a wine tasting event.While the situation was not conducive to the full blown randomized double blind trial, we had several people (including myself) taste two wines. Each wine was served blindly with and without the wineclip to each person who then made comments and tried to determine if there was a difference between the wines and whether one was preferable. Both wines were from the 1999 vintage from Stag's Leap. The first was the cabernet and the second was Fay's.

With a small sample size of four people for this trial, I must report no significant difference between the pourings. Noone felt either pouring was significantly better than the other. When pressed to pick a favorite 50% of the selections were for the wineclip pouring and 50% for the one without. Most of the tasters had not previous bias or interest in the product. Two were experienced tasters and two were less so. The split was true for the experienced tasters as well as the novices.

While this was certainly not the best scientific method, it was not a particularly awesome display by the product. I will try to follow-up with a more rigorous methodology.

By the way the magnets are strong. I was attached to my car when I had the device in my jacket pocket. It is also an impressive product visually.

Twitter - @docsconz

I tried my wineclip for the first time last night at a wine tasting event.While the situation was not conducive to the full blown randomized double blind trial, we had several people (including myself) taste two wines. Each wine was served blindly with and without the wineclip to each person who then made comments and tried to determine if there was a difference between the wines and whether one was preferable. Both wines were from the 1999 vintage from Stag's Leap. The first was the cabernet and the second was Fay's.

With a small sample size of four people for this trial, I must report no significant difference between the pourings. Noone felt either pouring was significantly better than the other. When pressed to pick a favorite 50% of the selections were for the wineclip pouring and 50% for the one without. Most of the tasters had not previous bias or interest in the product. Two were experienced tasters and two were less so. The split was true for the experienced tasters as well as the novices.

While this was certainly not the best scientific method, it was not a particularly awesome display by the product. I will try to follow-up with a more rigorous methodology.

By the way the magnets are strong. I was attached to my car when I had the device in my jacket pocket. It is also an impressive product visually.

the price just went up to 89 bucks. :laugh:

I would like to know in what order the wine was poured.

Keep in mind the following...

If you pour a glass of wine with the clip on and then pour a second with the clip off, you may not experience a difference in taste. Why? Once the clip is on that bottle, the wine will begin the change. Any wine that's inside the bottle but did not pour out will be subject to the magnetic field. Thus, both glasses poured will taste treated.

Therefore, if you pour the first glass with the clip and the second glass is poured without the clip it can seem as if there's little difference in taste. Why? Because the second glass was treated in the first pour!

To do this correctly, pour a glass(es) without the clip and the pour a glass(es) with the clip. If you don't taste a difference, you're in the 1%.

Entertain me. Try it my way. :wink:

For those who don't believe the above. There is a competitors product which was mentioned in the first few threads - it's called The Wine Cellar Express. Basically, it's a coaster. With the WCE you place a bottle on the coaster for 30 MINUTES in order for it to get treated. Why? Because the wine never flows through. No matter, the magnetic field still treats the wine. :rolleyes:

Now...you may think I'm reaching and I understand that some of you are regarded as "experts". But take a look at what Mary Ewing Muligan, a certified Master of Wine had to say about the Wine Cellar Express.

I tested this "magic" coaster by opening a few bottles of wine and tasting each before it was subjected to the coaster's magnetic field, and afterward. The wines that spent half an hour on the coaster were noticeably softer and less dry than those tasted right out of the bottle. Any grainy texture of tannin that the wine had was barely perceptible after treatment.

Courtesy: Daily News, NY.

About: Mary Ewing-Mulligan, president of the International Wine Center ( www.learnwine.com ) is the only American woman who is a Master of Wine. This title represents the highest level of knowledge and proficiency in the wine trade. Qualification as a MW is so rigorous that there are only 217 Masters of Wine in the world, and only 18 in America.

:blink:

Maybe she's a crackpot like me? :raz:

We have a Wine Clip on its way to her.

Edited by thewineclip (log)

I didn't pour the wines or see them poured, so I'm not sure in what order they were poured. Next time I'll make sure that whoever pours, does so without the wineclip first. This may take more glasses since we would want to do the randomization not knowing whether any, either or all of the glasses contained wine-clipped wine.

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc you blew it. You'll just have to do it again - and again - and again... unitil you get it right. Back to work!

All in the name of Science!

Twitter - @docsconz